Non Turbo Conversion!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
I know this is a Turbo V8 conversion forum, but I think admin might let me squeeze a quick question in;) It will eventually be turbo charged so I guess it counts.

I have a 1987 T package regal with a 307 HO motor in it.

I want to take out the 307 and replace it with a 350 chevy motor.

What all is going to have to be changed?

Shane as long as you are staying with the same generation small block everything should be cool. Please provide more details when you get a chance.

Best regards,

Well I am trying to track down the details on the build now. The orignial papers were lost. I know the builder though. It has a mild cam and decent heads at this point, it went 7.30's in a full weight s-10 with a 3.42 gear and a 100 shot:eek:

My plans are to do some wild suspension stuff with it, maybe a streetable 4-link:biggrin: 's Once we get the motor in and bugs worked out, turbo charging it will be the next order!

I know this is a Turbo V8 conversion forum, but I think admin might let me squeeze a quick question in;) It will eventually be turbo charged so I guess it counts.

It should be a direct swap since the 307 should have the same mounting points as your 307.

Well it officially started today! Motor is being pulled as I type:biggrin:

Here are the before pics!
BTW, my son put the Summit stickers on:D

Attachments

• V8project 001.jpg
    V8project 001.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 560
  • V8project 002.jpg
    V8project 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 547
  • V8project 003.jpg
    V8project 003.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 549
  • V8project 004.jpg
    V8project 004.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 546
Any suggestions on what to do about the fueling system. Should I sump the stock tank or what?

Man I really like that car.. Sure would look good with my wheels, 400 ci SBC and a 106 mm Turbo. ;-)

please keep posting pics with the progress,would like to see pics of the motor mounts,to compare with mine since I am starting my project in March....thanks Dennis
Very nice car....

Attachments

• P1010627.jpg
    P1010627.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 543
  • P1010626.jpg
    P1010626.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 536
You'll need to change the trans as well...different bellhousing bolt pattern...and exhaust which I assume you'd be swapping anyway. The motor mounts are going to be different as well, although you should have the correct holes to bolt everything up to.

Yeah, changing trans, rear, exhaust, ect....

I am wondering if the H&R mounts will work and just set in the correct holes for the 350?

Motor and tranny is out. Looking at the open hole makes it real hard not to drop in the complete stock 87 GN long block and tranny I got:confused: I got EVERYTHING right here to convert this car in a couple of days into a turbo car EVERYTHING. It is killing me not to do it to be honest, but I am gonna try to hold out and play with a little v8 with the susupension and tranny technology that the TR's have brought about! Eventually hoping to turbo this motor too:biggrin:

Yeah, changing trans, rear, exhaust, ect....

I am wondering if the H&R mounts will work and just set in the correct holes for the 350?

Motor and tranny is out. Looking at the open hole makes it real hard not to drop in the complete stock 87 GN long block and tranny I got:confused: I got EVERYTHING right here to convert this car in a couple of days into a turbo car EVERYTHING. It is killing me not to do it to be honest, but I am gonna try to hold out and play with a little v8 with the susupension and tranny technology that the TR's have brought about! Eventually hoping to turbo this motor too:biggrin:
get on the boat with the rest,SBC turbo'd,you will soon see the rest of the community following ...:smile: :smile:
Also post more pics other wise I will have to make you lock this thread due to lack of pics...:smile:

I doubt the H&R mounts will work but I never had a set laying around to try.

If you got the V6 laying around I'd be tempted to put it in. The N/A 350 will feel weak compared to the V6 but if your doing this for some suspension/ handling the 350 may be a better choice. Build it with decent parts and 9 or 9.5-1 compression so it won't be a dog now without the turbo. Later all you have to do is put the turbo stuff on and go.

Once you feel the power of the V8+ turbo you'll never look back. 1000hp is almost too easy.

Motor mounts are different. You will need those from a Chevy V8 Gbody (MCSS or other) The rubber side is part that is bolted to the frame and is encapsulatd by a steel shell. The metal side bolts to the block.

IF you have a 200-4R, it should be a dual pattern, and can be used.

I dont recall if the fuel lines run down tha passenger side framerail . If they do, youre OK, if not, you will need to re-route the fuel lines or fab new ones.

do the T's with the 307 olds engine have the 8.5?

Motor mounts are different. You will need those from a Chevy V8 Gbody (MCSS or other) The rubber side is part that is bolted to the frame and is encapsulatd by a steel shell. The metal side bolts to the block.

IF you have a 200-4R, it should be a dual pattern, and can be used.

I dont recall if the fuel lines run down tha passenger side framerail . If they do, youre OK, if not, you will need to re-route the fuel lines or fab new ones.

do the T's with the 307 olds engine have the 8.5?

No, they have the 7.5 rear. If I remember right when we tore down the other V8 T I had the fuel lines were on the same side. I am going to run all new braided line anyway. That way when I upgrade that will be done too. It has a 200 in it but it has the "G" code on it! I am going to upgrade that as well to built 200 from one of our vendors here!

What are u doing with the old 307 and trans????;)

Well, I really haven't decided. I think I may keep it in case I ever want to restore the car. However I do have the one that came out of the other car. Matter of fact the whole drive train is still bolted to the chassis. We just lifted the car right off of the chassis and wheeled it around back and put a tarp over it. That one only has about 80K on it! I may would entertain an offer;)

I doubt the H&R mounts will work but I never had a set laying around to try.

If you got the V6 laying around I'd be tempted to put it in. The N/A 350 will feel weak compared to the V6 but if your doing this for some suspension/ handling the 350 may be a better choice. Build it with decent parts and 9 or 9.5-1 compression so it won't be a dog now without the turbo. Later all you have to do is put the turbo stuff on and go.

Once you feel the power of the V8+ turbo you'll never look back. 1000hp is almost too easy.

Dusty I really appreciate your input becuase I know you have been there and down that:tongue: The motor came out of a late 70's full size chevy truck. It was built with a forged crank, pistons, etc.... Supposedly it dynoed 440 (fwhp) with a very mild cam and heads. I figure that if we can figure out a intake setup to turbo this engine and a decent Fuel management system that is streetable we may be on to something:biggrin: Any suggestions on that? It would be cool to be able to take an old 350 out the j/y and slap an intake and turbo setup and make 5-600hp easily. I just like trying DIFFERENT stuff. Please give any suggestions!

It is very very tempting to drop a V6 in there though. I got enough parts to do a couple of swaps LOL!!!!!! I figure as long as we don't chop it up we can always switch it back if I want. Other than the motor it will keep a GN drivetrain so...... I just ordered a couple of new DLS shortblocks there is no telling what we'll do when they get here. They are destined for 2 cars but the ones I take out have got to have a home:biggrin:

Look in the GM(LS1 LT1) section of Turbomustangs.com you will see many have had great luck with the BlowThru carbs from CSU(about $900),so no need for all the electronics/headachs...This is the route i am going ... Dusty Will tell you that your 440 hp now will be almost 900 with 15psi..hope I am right :) :) :)

Dusty I really appreciate your input becuase I know you have been there and down that:tongue: The motor came out of a late 70's full size chevy truck. It was built with a forged crank, pistons, etc.... Supposedly it dynoed 440 (fwhp) with a very mild cam and heads. I figure that if we can figure out a intake setup to turbo this engine and a decent Fuel management system that is streetable we may be on to something:biggrin: Any suggestions on that? It would be cool to be able to take an old 350 out the j/y and slap an intake and turbo setup and make 5-600hp easily. I just like trying DIFFERENT stuff. Please give any suggestions!

I only have experience with FAST....never tried any of the megasquirt stuff so I have no other ideas on fuel management for that style motor. There may be some slightly cheaper but after using a stand alone system I'd hate to go back to the chip days. Like already mentioned. People are flying with blow thru carbs. It's a little easier from a wiring stand point but if your familiar with EFI, the carb route requires a good bit of carb tuning. CSU seems to get them close from the get-go. If your not familiar with tuning either of them your self the carb route would be cheaper since you'd have to pay for a tuner for both set-ups. The carb route pretty much requires the MSD 7531 box for that efi like timing control.

Personally I'm an efi guy. More expensive but I can tune everything from the laptop. Edelbrock has the Victor EFI intakes so don't have to pay $450 to have your's converted. I'll sell mine with rails that is already port matched to a full cnc 23* head for $350.

On your motor...find out what compression it is. This will determine how much timing and boost you can put to it. 600hp is very conservative goal. You pretty much have to put a small turbo like a 67 or 70 on it to choke it if that is all you want. BandAid's right, a GTS 76 at 15# will make in the 900 hp range on your 350:wink:

I only have experience with FAST....never tried any of the megasquirt stuff so I have no other ideas on fuel management for that style motor. There may be some slightly cheaper but after using a stand alone system I'd hate to go back to the chip days. Like already mentioned. People are flying with blow thru carbs. It's a little easier from a wiring stand point but if your familiar with EFI, the carb route requires a good bit of carb tuning. CSU seems to get them close from the get-go. If your not familiar with tuning either of them your self the carb route would be cheaper since you'd have to pay for a tuner for both set-ups. The carb route pretty much requires the MSD 7531 box for that efi like timing control.

Personally I'm an efi guy. More expensive but I can tune everything from the laptop. Edelbrock has the Victor EFI intakes so don't have to pay $450 to have your's converted. I'll sell mine with rails that is already port matched to a full cnc 23* head for $350.

On your motor...find out what compression it is. This will determine how much timing and boost you can put to it. 600hp is very conservative goal. You pretty much have to put a small turbo like a 67 or 70 on it to choke it if that is all you want. BandAid's right, a GTS 76 at 15# will make in the 900 hp range on your 350:wink:

WOW, I just ordered a GTS76 too, with that special it was hard not to get one:eek: Send me a few pics of the intake, I am pretty sure I have 23* heads! The guy that built the motor, hopefully, will still have the build up in his records, I don't know him personally so I am waiting for a friend that knows him to go talk to him. You got me thinking hard now:biggrin: Thanks Dusty!

Isn’t the 307 t-type the second rarest regal?
If that is fact
I would never do it.
I would probable turbo the 307 instead.
But any way it’s your car and I am shore you will do a good job either way.
Good luck Dude.

Isn’t the 307 t-type the second rarest regal?
If that is fact
I would never do it.
I would probable turbo the 307 instead.
But any way it’s your car and I am shore you will do a good job either way.
Good luck Dude.

That is probably right. This is the second one:biggrin: We kept EVERYTHING that came off so I can put it back stock when ever wanted.