non-synthetic on new motor

Wes

why is it your supposed to run non-synthetic in a newly rebuilt motor untill 5k miles if our cars came with a "factory fill" of mobil one synthetic?

I don't think any of the Turbo Buicks came with Mobil 1 from the factory. I know mine didn't and I'm the original owner. Synthetics
don't allow proper break in (wear) its actually to good..Besides
why spend $5 per quart for 500 or so miles ? Just my opinion..

Ditto... They did not come with Mobil 1 from the factory. And, as SCGNX mentioned, synthetic will not allow for a proper break in on a new motor. I've always used Valvoline or Castrol SAE 40 weight on the initial break in. Some people also use an SAE 30. Run it for the first 500 miles, then change it and put in Mobil 1 for the rest of its life. I've torn apart motors with lifelong synthetic and ones with lifelong conventional oils, and there's a definite difference over time. The Mobil 1 will certainly help save your turbo as well as other moving parts.

I bought my 87 GN new and ran Pennzoil in it for the first change and drained it at 1000 mi and ran Mobil 1 ever since. Nice to know I did something right.:D Of course, I had to drive it through the first Northern NY/ Northern VT winter that I owned it.:mad: Got a little old driving while looking out the side windows all winter while crossed up!

Gregg:
What's this about never raced (yet)? What are you waiting for? You've already got enough to run mid 12's as it sits. Your poor car is screaming at you; saying "Hey, push the pedal on the right all the way to the floor, and let that Mustang see my taillights!";)
Actually, I have the utmost respect for you if you've owned the car that long and have not been racing it. My foot would've fallen off long beforehand...:D

JToups386

All the stuff besides the hose upgrade and the shocks have been put on the car in the last two months. I've been holding on to the car for years, but hardly ever drive it. This year I was surfing the web and found this site and a couple others and said to myself,"If I'm not gonna daily drive it, I might as well race it!":D So I did the spring cleaning and sprung for some goodies. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it this summer (2 little boys, house repairs, swingset, work, etc...) but I hope to take it to New England Dragway in the next couple of weeks. First things first. I've got to get my brakes working right. (Powermaster troubles) Thinking about converting to vacuum assist. Don't want to go through the traps and find out my powermaster took a cr*p.:mad: