New to E85. Few questions

I plan on taking it past the weekend warrior part and using it at the bpg race later this month. I hope to go a few rounds.
The new converter is doing awesome....actually a little too awesome lol. Its keeping my engine below the power band in 3rd gear. It's a 9.5 ptc I got from a board member (thanks jasjamz!).

No Problem! It was just sitting here doing nothing thanks to my machinist...:rolleyes:
Give It H*ll. :cool:

Had some success at the bpg event this weekend with e85. Was runner up in ths in a field of race gas cars:)
I'm starting to get a little more aggressive in the tune. Weather up there was hot!
Went a best of 10.30 @133.9 with a 1.53 60'.
This was in legal ths trim. 3650lbs with me, 6768 w/3" inlet.
30 psi, 23 degrees timing, 11.2 a/f. Hope that helps some of you out there thinking of using e85. I'm getting the gas from a marathon station 10 minutes from my house. It's testing as 88%. For what its worth, the price per gallon is $.60 less than what they are selling 87 for. It has been dead consistent. May be a good idea to get it at the same pump.

congrats!!

Bob
Thanks!
:cool: How were your 60 ft times?
Horrible again..track wasn't the best and the car still needs work. This tc was better down low than yours but still too tight up top. Both converters spool fast, but I need a tc with less rpm drop. I need to shift at 6300 and for it to fall to 5800 and stay between those numbers in all gears. This one dropped me down to 5380, which is still too low for my setup. May advance cam timing, but would rather have a converter to work like that. I got a 5th converter I am going to try here soon. Once I find the one i'm looking for....I think this car is going to really pickup.

Best 60 was a low 1.5 with a bunch of high 1.5's and a 1.60 in the finals. I think I lined up out of the groove that run.

So a little looser like 400rpm? Do you see less rpm drop with the more power you throw at the PTCs?

So a little looser like 400rpm? Do you see less rpm drop with the more power you throw at the PTCs?

400 would be on the money.
I've always been at the same power level give or take 50hp with the ptc's so I can't really say. I've tried shifting from 5800 to 6600. Your tc would always fall 5100-5200 rpm. Brian (phoneguy)'s tc is in the 5300-5400 range.
On the Dyno, my car starts at 5700-5800 and dies out at 6300. Its always had this narrow powerband but I had a looser tc in it in my old car when it had the 400. Would love to have that one bac to try but being th400 makes that complicated.

Could also be the 6768 with the 3" inlet don't match my combo or I haven't got to its sweet spot yet. I think the overall combo has some potential, hopefully I figure it out before bowling green.

400 would be on the money.
I've always been at the same power level give or take 50hp with the ptc's so I can't really say. I've tried shifting from 5800 to 6600. Your tc would always fall 5100-5200 rpm. Brian (phoneguy)'s tc is in the 5300-5400 range.
On the Dyno, my car starts at 5700-5800 and dies out at 6300. Its always had this narrow powerband but I had a looser tc in it in my old car when it had the 400. Would love to have that one bac to try but being th400 makes that complicated.

This is good info for Dusty to be able to get your converter dialed into your car.

Bryan

Had some success at the bpg event this weekend with e85. Was runner up in ths in a field of race gas cars:)
I'm starting to get a little more aggressive in the tune. Weather up there was hot!
Went a best of 10.30 @133.9 with a 1.53 60'.
This was in legal ths trim. 3650lbs with me, 6768 w/3" inlet.
30 psi, 23 degrees timing, 11.2 a/f. Hope that helps some of you out there thinking of using e85. I'm getting the gas from a marathon station 10 minutes from my house. It's testing as 88%. For what its worth, the price per gallon is $.60 less than what they are selling 87 for. It has been dead consistent. May be a good idea to get it at the same pump.

What kind of duty cycle are you seeing?

Thanks!

Horrible again..track wasn't the best and the car still needs work. This tc was better down low than yours but still too tight up top. Both converters spool fast, but I need a tc with less rpm drop. I need to shift at 6300 and for it to fall to 5800 and stay between those numbers in all gears. This one dropped me down to 5380, which is still too low for my setup. May advance cam timing, but would rather have a converter to work like that. I got a 5th converter I am going to try here soon. Once I find the one i'm looking for....I think this car is going to really pickup.

Best 60 was a low 1.5 with a bunch of high 1.5's and a 1.60 in the finals. I think I lined up out of the groove that run.

The convertor in my car is almost exactly that .It is steves old Bradco.
Your car was amazing this weekend .So kewl what you are doing with it

I just checked mine 2-3 shift 3rd rd Qualify... shift 6460 RPM to 5680 RPM
Might check with Kip on it .Im sure he has the info
Sorry just read the whole post mine is a TH400

A little update...

The engine is a little under the weather with low compression (60psi in a few holes). Don't know why or what happened but it isn't leaking water into the oil so I am still kicking the living crap out of it. Tonight, I tried out nitrous. Wow! On e85 and n2o, I went 10.20 @ 137.75. The 60' and 330' are killing me. No tire spin, just converter is too tight and suspension could use some upgrades...mainly get rid of the monroe shocks and get some qa1's.
30psi, roughly a 100 shot, 11.2 a/f on the gas scale, 20 degrees of timing. Boost was actually 26 in 1st gear, 28 in 2nd and 30 in 3rd. No idea why its so bad, bit a boost controller and maybe fixing a header leak would help but I have been lazy working on the car lately.

A little update...

The engine is a little under the weather with low compression (60psi in a few holes). Don't know why or what happened but it isn't leaking water into the oil so I am still kicking the living crap out of it. Tonight, I tried out nitrous. Wow! On e85 and n2o, I went 10.20 @ 137.75. The 60' and 330' are killing me. No tire spin, just converter is too tight and suspension could use some upgrades...mainly get rid of the monroe shocks and get some qa1's.
30psi, roughly a 100 shot, 11.2 a/f on the gas scale, 20 degrees of timing. Boost was actually 26 in 1st gear, 28 in 2nd and 30 in 3rd. No idea why its so bad, bit a boost controller and maybe fixing a header leak would help but I have been lazy working on the car lately.

Didn't you say you thought the cam had slipped again?? Wouldn't that kill your bottom end power, possibly making it feel like the converter is the problem?

Didn't you say you thought the cam had slipped again?? Wouldn't that kill your bottom end power, possibly making it feel like the converter is the problem?
I originally thought that but it has some major oil coming out of the breathers from blow by. Next weeks purse is double at our cruise in / race so that means the engine is staying in another week lol. Racing got canceled after round 1 when a mustang broke a crank and spun out in his own oil. I won round 1 against a turbo stang and was lined up against another turbo stang for rd 2 when they canceled.

Today was the cars 98th mid to low 10 second run of the year according to my data log folder (i know i have missed a few too.) I have totally forgot about the transmission in this car. When you don't think about something, you are not worried about it I guess. Lonnie's s2 200 in this car has not missed a beat all year! At these cruise in races, we hot lap the car too.

Kevin, I don't know anything about E85, but why only 20* of timing?
You said the converter is too tight? What is my converter shifting at with the Nitrous?

Bryan

Kevin, I don't know anything about E85, but why only 20* of timing?
You said the converter is too tight? What is my converter shifting at with the Nitrous?

Bryan

Hi Bryan,
When Kevin installed the first converter we thought the converter was just too tight. When he installed your converter we found out its just the PTC converter. Both converters acted exactly the same with yours being a little looser than the first one. I have never used a PTC or even tuned a car with one. Its so much different than what I expected. I will try to make this short but explain. Kevins car has widow where it makes power roughly from 5500-6500. Give or take. First thing we noticed is when converter was installed on paper the numbers look great and spool up is excellent. Slip in the 5% range steep rpm shift drops. So far so good. One problem we could not figure out was why his car actually slowed down. Old converter slipped 20% car ran 10.20s with less boost!!!!!!! no way this car could have slowed down with a converter that looks so good on paper. Thats what we were thinking. After many passes we see what the issues are. Old converter had torque multiplication car would 60ft 1.5s or better 10psi and 3800 rpm on 2 step. New converter 20psi and 4500 on 2 step car is still sluggish and 330s are way down next to no torque multiplication. Old converter shifted 6500 and drops to 5800 right in sweet spot but still no efficiency for top of track. New converter no matter where its shifted it likes 5100-5200. He shifts 6800 drops to 5200. 4800-5200 is major danger zone for detonation. New converter shift drops are into danger zone and rattles engine on 2-3 shift drop. Too keep from blowing the heads off car we needed to pull timing. (I have no idea how you could keep heads on a car with this type of converter) Pulled timing car slows down again. Add 100 shot of the juice same problem. Car wont 60ft wont 330. We set the car on explode it still wont run to the 330. To answer the question the converter loads the car so heavily on the shift drops that we needed to pull timing to keep from blowing it up. Nothing wrong with the converter it spools fast and has good efficiency numbers. I just dont think its the right converter for this type of combo.