New Simmons install on a T car!

DZ - That car looks horrible. I can't believe you would put such ugly wheels on that car :wink: . My white car is gone now and I bought a WE4 the other day.

Believe it or not our taste may be the same.

Shane

Shane, good to hear you kickin down south... I suppose the Simmons wheels will find themselves sitting under the WE4 car soon?? I only drove the car about 8 miles yesterday but it felt solid. Next weekend I will be putting some Bilsteins under the car... and then I'm thinking Hotchkiss springs and sway bars... yikes!! :eek:

DZ- Have you thawed out enough to take a drive? When you gonna move down here with everyone else from up North? Wheels are already on the WE4. Let me know if you do the springs. I'll let you be the guinea pig and figure out any problems that may rear thier ugly head.

I'll get you pics soon.

Shane, we actually had a pretty decent weekend up here after the 4th snowiest winter ever recorded.:eek: So mid 60's and mostly sunny all weekend and it seems to be carrying into today; I did drive the car about 8 miles yesterday just to warm up the fluids and invigorate the various seals. Plus I wanted to seat the lugs enough to re-torque them when I got home. Car drives nice and the feel was good... I'm going to assess my current finances to see how soon I can deploy a set of Hotchkiss springs and sway bars... with any luck I can pull that off in the next month or so. Busting the rear springs loose is fairly easy, managing the fronts takes a bit more time but the car has never had a front end alignment anyhow, might just as well pull the springs, clean up the control arms and then find someone to reset the front end... about moving south, I think I'm headed for the southwest where the humidity registers in the single digits every now and then...:tongue:

DZ:
That car couldn't look any better with those silver/aluminum Simmons. Might want to consider running a set of lightweight SPC upper front control arms with the matching Howe precision tall balls which will lower the front about maybe 3/4". Try Savitske Classic & Custom for the set. Improves handling somewhat, too. You won't regret it.

Wells, thanks for the props! I seem to agree with dropping the car. As good as it looks right now I think it would look even better with about an inch out of the ride height... I will spend the next month or so evaluating the alternatives then will probably just do it!

:D

I must agree they look great on your TR. :cool:

What is the back spacing on your 18"x10.5" rears? Without that GNX flare, would it sit out of the wheel well, Joe Dirt style? I was thinking of a custom GNX style 18" rim but was uncertain of the back spacing. Lastly has your frame been notched any to accomidate the rim & tire? Your car is testfully put together. Looks awesome.

Wells, not junking up at all; appreciate the link and picture of a damn nice white T... looks great!

TTypeWhite: rears are 18x10, not 10.5. Backspacing is 4.875 on the rear and 4.34 backspace on the front, no notching, no Joe Dirt style and so far no rubbing however I suspect full jounce full lock on the front will incur some inside tire rubbing. Just have to keep in mind not to full lock, full jounce the fronts! I did a quick test run yesterday and hit a typical Michigan whoopee where the rears bottomed out and no rubbing...

Just go with Moog 5658 springs in the front and Moog 5413's in the rear. $120 for the whole set from the parts store. Will drop the car 1" in the rear and 1.25" in the front once settled. If you go any more with the car, do as Well said and get a set of SPC upper arms and Howes lower ball joints. No need for the SPC arms and Howes BJ's if you only want to go an inch. If you get serious about handling, then get them. Untill then, just do springs.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...ls/244936-moog-5658-front-spring-results.html

Simmons

:D

I must agree they look great on your TR. :cool:

i think this is the best looking stance i've ever seen on a GN, wanna share the combo/specs? i have an 87 GN roller that looks exactly like yours with a notched frame and used to house a 335-35-17s on the rear also lowered but never achieved the stance that you have.

What is the back spacing on your 18"x10.5" rears? Without that GNX flare, would it sit out of the wheel well, Joe Dirt style? I was thinking of a custom GNX style 18" rim but was uncertain of the back spacing. Lastly has your frame been notched any to accomidate the rim & tire? Your car is testfully put together. Looks awesome.

i think this is the best looking stance i've ever seen on a GN, wanna share the combo/specs? i have an 87 GN roller that looks exactly like yours with a notched frame and used to house a 335-35-17s on the rear also lowered but never achieved the stance that you have.

Thanks for the compliments.

Specs: Rear wheels 18x10.5 w/295-35-18 BFG G-Force tires. Front 18x9.5 w/265-35-18 BFG GF's.
The wheelwells are 'lightly' massaged. If the flares were removed the wheels are still nicely tucked.
The rear frame was notched 1". Rear springs are 1.5" drop Bell Tech. Front are Bell Tech 2" drop spindles. Front springs are cut..by how much I don't know. Do not know the BS of the wheels either.

Heath Elmer built the car and the Simmons wheels were a big hit in 2000. To this day I feel they are ahead of the times and still are the best choice.

HTH's. Couple more pics.

Attachments

• 86GrandN55.jpg
    86GrandN55.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 86GrandN17.jpg
    86GrandN17.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 304
RobsIron;
By frame notch, you mean in or up? (Like trucks many times require when slammed or was it for the wheel width?)
BTW, in all the pics I have seen of this car I have never sen any interior pics, and maybe one engine pic. Do you have any we can see?

Sorry for the thread hijack..

RobsIron;
By frame notch, you mean in or up? (Like trucks many times require when slammed or was it for the wheel width?)
BTW, in all the pics I have seen of this car I have never sen any interior pics, and maybe one engine pic. Do you have any we can see?

Frame is notched 'in' for wheel width.

Here are some older interior pics...I've changed it a little since. It is tweed and carbon fiber.

Attachments

• 86GrandN20.jpg
    86GrandN20.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 258
  • 86GrandN21.jpg
    86GrandN21.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 86GrandN23.jpg
    86GrandN23.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 257
  • 86GrandN25.jpg
    86GrandN25.jpg