New Intercooler comming soon!!!!

clean86

High all, Don't know who has and hasn't beed following the post on Liquid intercoolers but I have decided to make a new post due to the fact that the new cooler isn't going to be a air to water.

The new cooler we are designing is a bar and plate cooler, it will be a horizontal mount, and roughly 16x12x2 or 4. I have sourced the cores and endtanks and all we are waiting for is the stuff to show up to put it togeather. It will come with all needed hardware as well as the scoop. I haven't built the scoop yet but have it all drawn out. I will try to make it in aluminum or plastic let me know witch one everyone would like more. From testing this style cooler on other cars it worked great. And with the optional fan for the cooler, temps can be lowered by another 25-35 deg. at the start of a pass or sitting still. Keep in mind that for every deg. you can drop intake charge temps the motor can make 1% more power on average.

Guy's PLEASE let me know what you think, I will install and test on my own car and will get the opinion of other locals like Nick Micale, Woody, And Jack Evers.

I really think this will work great, but I need your opinions to let me know if it will be worth it to start making these for others.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

THX.

I love new stuff!!!!! I take it this is a stock location intercooler? Pricing? I have ATRs FM soon to be Jack Cottons FM (can't wait to test) but I work on a few GNs and if it works I'll buy! You need pics as soon as poss, and the scoop I think should be alluminum (no black paint) COOL!!!!!!!! Kick some a$$ with the new product!!!!!

Thanks for the vote, The cooler will be a horizontal mount, but located where the botton of the stock cooler would be. The scoop will be very wide at one end then tappering to the core size to help keep the air speed up. On other cars , "single turbo mustang" with the same settup ran in the 9's. The fan on the cooler helper a lot =4DEG of timing , same boost 20lbs, same fuel 110. The fan dropped charge temps 30 DEG across the board. And you could lay a block of dry ice right on top of the cooler between passes if needed. Not to mention inlet and outlet pipes will be 2.5 or 3' and face strate up, making uppipe and turbo pipe very short. If you clock the compressor down some it is almost a strait shot to the cooler. And the scoop will have a scoop inside it's self to evenly feed the cooler.

Hay Serje, what do you think?

Any one even a little interested?

THANKS

yes

I'm interested.. But..I will wait for Nick Micale to give it thumbs up or down. :)

Got any idea on pricing or wether you will run a heat exchanger and remote tank and pump? Got any pics yet?

I am! I would like to know what the price of the kit would be? The design sounds good and with the fan it would be better.

Thx, I hope it works well, and Nick will shoot me strait if he likes it or not.

The kit will be air to air , so no heat exchanger. And price we are shooting fo right around $500. I will let you know if this changes due to build cost, I wouldn't think much though.

I will be going out of town for three days. So keep the questions comming and I will keep you posted when I get back on Mon.

Thx for the interest!!!!

Sounds interesting! I like the idea of a horizontal design... now you'e got me wanting to crawl under my car to take a look:D

Good luck and keep us posted (pics too!).

-Banning.

While you're building a new intercooler, how about putting together a front mount with a low enough fin ratio not to hurt cooling? I think Jack Cotton was on the right track with his unit, big enough that the end tanks don't block the rad. It would seem to me that efficiency of front mounts is not the issue, because they all seem to do a great job regardless of design and size. What nobody has addressed is building a FM that allows enough air to flow through it. Stock location coolers are great and I run an MJ stretch. But in my experience it still heat soaks with hard use on the street. From what I've heard FM's don't suffer from this as much.

Ok all i'm back, but have to leave out of town again in two day's. Hopefully I can make some headway when I get back next mon. Any other questions please post them up I would love to here what you all are looking for!

THX Clean86

Well anyone interested, I hurt the motor in the car but will have the intercooler ready within the next two weeks.

Afte buying all parts needed we have surpassed the $500 price I was shooting for. looks like $650

It will be bar and plate. and can use part of the stock scoop and part of ours.

A fan will be optional that can mount to the cooler to keep temps down at low speeds.

Nick Micale will get one for testing, if anyone can put it through hell , Nick can.

Anyone still interested?

I'm shopping for a new I/C but am in no hurry, so I'm definately interested. Can't wait to see pics and hear how well it does after Nick gets done putting it thru it's paces :D

It has been a lot of R&D trying to get it right before getting the welder out, so I am as excited as everyone else.

The cooler will be roughly 12x14x4.5 with 3inch inlet and outlet.

There will be very short pipes to the cooler and from it to the t-body.

the optional fan should drop air charge temps at idle and slow speeds by 30 to 60 deg.

Are there any questions I can answer, fire away.

As soon as one is all together I will post pics on Nick Micale's site we are working on this one together and got some new core info today, killer new stuff, much more efficient than most.

THX for waiting everyone, it WILL be worth the wait!!!

It is no suprise to me that many owners are interested in replacing their intercooler be it a stock unit or aftermarket. With basically only 2 choices over a 15 year-old stock unit, front mount or reman using stock cores, this has made me look for a good replacement.

Lets get the V-4 out of the picture first, it is a good piece but difficult to obtain, and it is still based upon 20 year-old technology.

When looking at developing an item like intercoolers for our car, certain parameters must be established. It must be simple, affordable, give excellent performance improvement, easily installed and readily available. No gimmicks like ice, NOS sprays or anything requiring maintance. Further, it should work for street GN's as well as race cars. By "race" cars, this is streetable vehicles. For strictly racing, liquid to air units have proven best so far; therefore, we are again talking about the "masses" who are looking for street/strip performance.

When Jeromy came to me with his plan, timing was good as I had already been working to come up with an intercooler for over a year. As we investigated together, items listed above were considered. The horizontal mount has lots of merit as does stock location due to installation considerations.

My dislike of front mounts is not only due to it blocking air flow for cooling, but also having to move a large, long column of air through lots of piping. Years of gathering data on many cars down to the 10.0 sec. area, has shown it can be done just as well with modified stock location units as well as a front mount.

With the new technology cores and some inovative arragement, we should easily have much better all around performance than exsisting front mounts on the turbo Buicks. At least that is our goal.

The program now under way should produce a protype just after the first of the year.

Thanks for chiming in Nick. Looking forward to seeing more info on this I/C as R&D is made available.

Sounds very interesting. Nick, you are right about options for intercoolers for our cars, there are only a few. A new idea will be welcome I'm sure and will get lots of interests. I will be keeping up with the progress of this new project as I am looking to upgrade my intercooler in the near future. Sounds good so far, can't wait to see some pics. :D

Brad

87 GN