New guy about to purchase an 87 GN

m3x1c0

Bad luck Buick
Hello, my name is Xavier, a new guy looking at a 1987 GN to buy. I've all but put down a deposit and am going to check it out one more time this saturday and if it checks out I will be buying it. I have been wanting one of these cars since I was a little boy when my dad had one. This was early 90's and I remember riding in the back seat of dads awesome car. Unfortunately, Detroit hit really hard times and we had to sell the car and it has since been lost as we have no information to go on to find it.

Since I was 17 I'd set out to find a good GN but never could come up with the money for one while also preparing for and going to college. Now that I am older and have a steady job I've decided to purchase a GN instead of a new car so I have a budget of around 20k. Found this great little car in North Carolina about 3 hours from where I live in Virginia. I've been restoring a 70's mustang and with that in mind I checked as thoroughly as I could out in the heat for rust and other problems. As far as I could tell there was no serious rust whatsoever underneath and the exterior was great. The car has 22k miles on it and has been garaged most of its life. It does have some rust developing on the trunk lid near the gasket that will need to be addressed. The car is also t-tops so I've been told it will need new gaskets to keep water out. Other then some scratches here and there the car looks to be in great condition and pulled really well.

I'm looking to get some info and advice on what more to look for when I check it out again this saturday. I have verified that it is a real GN by matching the trunk label with the vin. I also ran a car-fax on it and by the history it seems as though it has not rolled over and is actually at 22. The car has been set up to run alcohol and nitrous. It has a trick set of switches (Chip, fan, etc.) in the center console that have a Kenne Belle logo on them. Aftermarket gauges have also been installed in the passenger dashboard insert that look to all have been done at the same time as the Kenne belle switches. Ive been told the turbo is bigger but it does have a cover on it so I did not check on it. Oh and it is an 87 so I believe it is intercooled.

I am a single dude at 24 years old, looking for a nice driver car that wont need any work and it seems to fit the bill by being really nice but not too nice. This will likely be my daily on most days with my mustang being more for bad weather and as a beater. I don't do a lot of driving as my work is only 10 miles away. Mostly like to go for cruises on the weekend in a nice car.

Anyways, any advice you guys can give me is welcome. Hope to be a true GN member soon!

Alcohol and nitrous? Tricky switches? I would stay away. Maybe it's just me. Your budget can get you a VERY nice, unmolested car. Be careful inheriting someone else's project. Been there, done that. Will never do it again.

And a daily driver with T-tops, will be a headache.

Alcohol and nitrous? Tricky switches? I would stay away. Maybe it's just me. Your budget can get you a VERY nice, unmolested car. Be careful inheriting someone else's project. Been there, done that. Will never do it again.

And a daily driver with T-tops, will be a headache.

If the switches were regular JEGS special hardware I'd be walking, but they are very professionally done. The car is plumbed and wired for Nitrous but no bottle has been installed in many years. The guy says it has not been to the strip since he's owned it. He bought the car with 11k on it so I am inclined to believe that at 22k it has not been very abused. To me it seems less like a project when things are done very well but is there more I should look for to be sure?

Is there anyone in the Gastonia area who would be willing to go with me to check out the car and help me get a final price on this? If the car has the t-top rust I don't see it but I guess it woudl be hidden by the trim. I'd be willing to pay and buy lunch.

Where about in NC?
Maybe post the pics/add of the car you are talking about?

Where about in NC?
Maybe post the pics/add of the car you are talking about?

Gastonia. Im coming down from Lynchburg, Va.
Unfortunately my phone died and I lost all the pictures I took of it. Here is the one from his CL listing:
14438678005_9034e79077_z.jpg
00O0O_2rzdsZEzynh_600x450 by xavier_corral, on Flickr

Getting someone who knows these cars to look at it with you is the best advice anyone can give, especially if this is your first. Lots of NC members that could help you out I'm sure. 20K is a hefty budget and will put you in a really, really nice GN so you should be very choosy. Lol. Thinking back to when I bought my GN the hunt was just as fun as getting the car. So I would say take your time and look at as many cars as you can before you decide. Low miles is not a good indicator of the level of abuse it has seen. Sometimes those miles are put on a 1/4 mile at time :D. Not very many here running nitrous so that would concern me. T-tops need to be looked at very carefully as already mentioned. Don't know if I would spend 20K on a car that has even a little bit of body rust but that's just me. When it comes to rust what you see is sometimes just the tip of the iceburg. I have attached a checklist that another member created to help you know what to look for. There is no substitution for taking a real live person with you but if you can't find anyone this guide is better than nothing. Posting details of the car here will help as well.

Good luck in your quest to find that perfect GN for you.

Attachments

• GN buyers guide.pdf
    538.6 KB · Views: 111
Xavier,
Listen to the advice given here. These people have nothing to gain by not having you buy this car. The fact is, we DO want you to buy a Turbo Buick. We are just seeing some red flags with this one. NO ONE that I know of needs NOS on a Turbo Buick / street car. To me, this looks like a poor decision, made by an unqualified individual, in a fast and furious attempt to get more horse power, with little disregard for the engine. A likely scenario is that they kept hurting the engine, and may be why the car still has low mileage. It would be nice to see a list of aftermarket parts the car has. Chip, Fuel pump, Turbo, Miles since current engine and trans rebuild. Who did the rebuilds. How many blown out head gaskets does the current owner have hanging on the wall of his garage? If the trunk lid has rust, The T-tops will most likely need much more than just replacing the seals. This is one reason T-top cars aren't worth as much as hard top cars.

I don't mean to be a total ass hole here on your thread, but I (We) would rather be an ass hole, than see you get taken for a ride. Do NOT buy this car unless you get someone qualified to see it in person. Just from what you've told me, It's a $12,000.00 car.

We'll make you a deal. Tell us what you find and we will be totally honest with you. That's what we do here.

Just remember that all that glitters isn't gold...

Welcome to the site and sorry if I haven't had my fiber lately.:D

Mike Barnard

Last edited:
Xavier, I would take Mike's advice and run away from that car asap.
Your budget of 18k will buy you a very nice low miles, stock GN that would need nothing.

If stock is not your cup of tea, then your budget of 18k will get you a nice and fast modified GN with work done by a reputable Turbo Buick Mechanic/Builder.

Have you checked out the Cars For Sale section here on the board? You must be logged in to see it.

Most of the GNs on Auto Trader, Craigslist, Ebay are WAY over priced to try and make a quick buck. Most of the cars for sale here are priced accordingly. Maybe scroll through the cars for sale and see what 18k will get you.

Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely some eye-opening stuff here. Would you guys say around 15k would be an unreasonable offer? Then at that am I still overpaying? I have my doubts he will like me offering 5000 less then he originally asked for, but he did say that he was willing to work on the price with me. Perhaps I can open up the t-tops trim and point out any problems?

I do have experience working on cars with my Mustang but obviously I'd rather not have to do much of anything to this car. Some t-top rust isnt too bad but holes in the floor etc where it takes the car off the road for months at a time are not what im into. As far as other cars there really isnt much within many hours of me that are what I'm looking for. If anyone sees something good could you point me to it?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely some eye-opening stuff here. Would you guys say around 15k would be an unreasonable offer? Then at that am I still overpaying? I have my doubts he will like me offering 5000 less then he originally asked for, but he did say that he was willing to work on the price with me. Perhaps I can open up the t-tops trim and point out any problems?

I do have experience working on cars with my Mustang but obviously I'd rather not have to do much of anything to this car. Some t-top rust isnt too bad but holes in the floor etc where it takes the car off the road for months at a time are not what im into. As far as other cars there really isnt much within many hours of me that are what I'm looking for. If anyone sees something good could you point me to it?

Thanks again!
Are you 100% sure that is a 20k something mile car.If it is 120k the car is worth less.I am like everyone else on the NOS,I would not even give it a second look or offer.you will be alot happier if you hold out a minute and find the right car for your hard earned money.The right one will pop up soon enough.

I have a friend who has a real nice GN 47,000 miles. Located in Chicago South subs.

$18,500

IMG_1005.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 180
Ask Jim Dunn (jim@buickturboperformnce.com) about an elderly gentleman who was selling his GN. He gave me that lead when I got my car two years ago. I still regret not buying it. The car is slightly modified, but all with tasteful stuff. Very clean. He doesn't advertise it for sale, but was looking to sell it. I spoke to the owner and saw the photos, very nice one owner car and you will spend less than 3/4 of your budget.

Also Denis Kirban usually has some leads on nice cars.

Stay away from T-tops, if you can.

Ask Jim Dunn (jim@buickturboperformnce.com) about an elderly gentleman who was selling his GN. He gave me that lead when I got my car two years ago. I still regret not buying it. The car is slightly modified, but all with tasteful stuff. Very clean. He doesn't advertise it for sale, but was looking to sell it. I spoke to the owner and saw the photos, very nice one owner car and you will spend less than 3/4 of your budget.

Also Denis Kirban usually has some leads on nice cars.

Stay away from T-tops, if you can.

did you spell that email incorrectly? my message wont go through