New best ET 7.78 @ 87.9 "stock" setup

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
Just got back from Charleston 1/8th mile and the Red T ran great. This is my only time racing this year and ran 5 passes, bringing the total to 27. It was $10 "fun day" which also means "no track prep/no traction":D

I was shooting for some 1.6 short times, but best was 1.73 on 28x9 MT slicks. When they prep this track, it hooks...did 1.71 on 235 BFGs.

First two runs on some 275/60 BFGs. All runs on 21 lb boost, Thrasher 100, 44 lb fp, EGTs around 1600. I have stock turbo, injectors, TC, IC(big neck).

My changes from last year were to remove the sway bar and jack, add ds poly motor mount, ported the exhaust housing, and added a $40 homemade dp. Gained 1.4 mph and .08 ET from last years best of 7.86 @ 86.5

60'/ET/MPH
1.82/7.93/87.1
2.01/8.15/87.1 (spun out)

Last three runs on 28x9 MTs and open dump on last 2 runs picked up 0.8mph

1.77/7.86/87.1
1.73/7.78/87.9
1.71/7.79/87.9

Good runs!

Kind of disproves the notion left over from the early 90's that 28 inch tires will slow a stock turbo car down.

Thanks Guys

Steve and UNGN, got some good pointers from you guys that helped, but I haven't used all of them yet:) UNGN, I haven't tried spraying water on the IC yet. Steve, I'll try and port the exhaust housing this winter. I've only ported the elbow for now.

On the tuning, I finally did take at least 1 lb of fp out on the last run, around 42 to 43 static, but it didn't change the mph or EGT. One thing that really suprised me was the open dump. I've always thought my cars spooled slower with it open, but the last two runs disproved that theory by gaining .08 ET, and .8 mph. I did not launch over 4 to 5 lbs, but would have tried another 10 lb launch if the track had more prep. I really wanted the 1.6s 60'.

Originally posted by zam70
Good job - now get your ass up here and help me 60ft damnit!
:D Let me know if you run another time this year. Maybe Sean and Sam can roadtrip with me. I just build a few lb of boost, mash the gas, and quickly release the brake....and hope it hooks:cool: I really think some of the lighter cars with worn out stock suspension(like mine:) ), just transfer to the rear wheels better. I run 20lb ps and 5lb ds in the air bags.

Hey, btw, thanks for the fender lip roll advice, I didn't slash the 275/60s;) Just had to do the passenger side upper third of the wheel well like you advised.

Very consistent runs take good tuning AND a good driver! :)

Looks like you've got both! Congrats! :)

Good job, Timmy Carlo!!!

You got that T running good! You are a pretty good driver.....maybe I should put you in my GN to get the most out of it. ;) I wish I could say I bettered (is that a word?) my best this year but I cannot. My car just wouldn't respond to my chip change. Oh well, I'll beat it next season.

Good job Tim!

Did even better tonight

Second time out this year at the last test and tune in Terre Haute, IN. Got in three total, all good runs:

60'/ET/mph -- new bests in bold font

1.70/7.75/88.1
1.69/7.740/87.9 ('02 C5 Vette ran 8.985@82.0)
1.72/7.81/85 (left it in 2nd after burnout:rolleyes: , manual shift to 3rd)

Originally posted by stevemon
1.69/7.740/88.1
Tim, What was the air temp and what is your track elevation there? It looks like you're closing in on your goal. Those are 12.0 times or very close to it. Good runs and consistant too.
FWIW, I've never manually shifted my car so was wondering if you feel there's anything to gain by it and if you plan to give it a try agian? Last thought is, as Tom87GN is doing, I wonder what some changes to the chip would do for you? Maybe lowering the timing down low would help the 60 fts..?
Last night was around 55 to 60 degrees on a 600 above sea level track. I feel there is nothing to gain by the manual shift, I just forgot and left it in 2nd after the burnout :rolleyes: .

To improve my ET, yes, I will try another chip setup I'm sure, as I've got a lot of other variables dialed in. May try a Thrasher 108 instead of the 100 I'm using, and have been reading about the Turbotweak chip burner. It seems with the Thrasher that if I lower the fp, it does not make a difference on the EGT or ET. Something different with the chip could gain me some tuneability and mph, as I have no kr on my runs. Good thing is my car is running consistent and I only have 30 passes on it to figure a lot of this out.

The other thing I need to do is get the 60' way down into the 1.6s. 've been reading about the Instant Center on Kevin's web site. I launched at around 5 lb last night, and can go to at least 10 once I have everything right. A 10 lb launch unloads the rear end too quick afte the initial launch, unloading the tires.

Going to port the turbo exhaust housing as you recommended also. Need to pull the turbo off anyway since the exhaust fins have considerable damage like the tips bent or missing:eek:

Originally posted by stevemon
Tim,
I've always heard that with the Thrasher you're not supposed to make FP adjustments and FWIW, I have their 108 chip and my car is about 2 tenths slower when using it vs a Red 108 chip.
Yea, I knew that about the Thrasher, but had to try anyway since it's the only race chip I have right now.

Originally posted by rob nolan
Congrats Tim!!!:D
Thanks Rob, try the web site now, it should have my car pics now if I did everything right. I have another thread on the board with the experts getting me straightened out with my web page design.

Someone let me know if my web page is displaying the 2 pics of the car, thanks.

TIM -
They're having one last fun night at Mason County Raceway the last Sunday (26th) in October.

Come on down! (up)

nice times tim, been looking at your posts about your car and timesfor awile and trying to duplicate some of the things yo do becuse of the dr's,but anyhow here are my new times...1.719 60' 7.777@88.991 1/8th 12.19@110.038 1/4,my personal best.

Originally posted by 1kwick6
nice times tim, been looking at your posts about your car and timesfor awile and trying to duplicate some of the things yo do becuse of the dr's,but anyhow here are my new times...1.719 60' 7.777@88.991 1/8th 12.19@110.038 1/4,my personal best.
Good times. That should hurt a lot of street cars. Did you do this on DRs or slicks?

BFG's drag radials 275/60/15s on stock GN wheels. Drive to track drop air pressure , stage and go!