NEW Aluminum Brake drums

Aluminum drums

I know I'd buy a pair. By the way how much rotating weight is lost by using aluminum vs. cast iron. I know al. is about half the weight was just curious as to actual weight loss TIA

im gonna be looking for a set of aluminum drums by spring... so if you can get them by then. Im in.

If not til next year or something, forget it. My brakes need to GO!

I know I'd buy a pair. By the way how much rotating weight is lost by using aluminum vs. cast iron. I know al. is about half the weight was just curious as to actual weight loss TIA

I think they are 5lbs less each.

Brian there used to be a company that made performance steel drums that had a pattern of grooves cut into the drums braking surface to break up the gas pocket for better braking, the company is no longer in business. Maybe the reproduced ones could have a similar setup.

I will try to find the old magazine article and scan a pic of the drum so you can see.

Brian,

Just now found this thread. I'm interested in a pair of your alum. drums when available. My GN came with the alum. drums from the factory but they were shot when I bought the car. I've got generic parts store cast irons on there now but would *really* like to get the correct aluminum drums back on the car.

thanks once again for developing another awsome part for these cars! :cool:

they do make them new again but they are pricey

GM Parts - Pontiac - Buick - Gmc - Chevrolet - Oldsmobile - New GM Parts
I ordered some aluminum drums once from a GM dealer. They were obviously much more expensive than the cast iron ones, but I knew that. However when they arrived and I paid for them, sure enough they were cast iron. I told them something was wrong, and they checked them out-
"Oh we don't make aluminum any more so the cast iron are listed as the replacement part".
"But I paid extra for aluminum".
"Yeah but they don't offer aluminum."

Well I returned them right there (obviously). Good thing I checked before I left the dealership.

-Bob C.

According to ACDelco there are 1752 vehicles that the drums would fit.

Parts Information | ACDelco

David
and that's not even a complete list.. EVERY GM rwd car built starting in 64 with the new A bodies (Chevelle, etc) with the 5 X4.75 bolt pattern and the small rear brakes have interchangeable rear brake drums. the part number may be different due to small changes, but the important things are all in the same place on all of them.
there is a HUGE potential market for a quality aluminum rear brake drum. it's just one more piece of aluminum that can be all "blinged up" with a polishing wheel..

And you know who loves the old Buick 45 and 90 fin 5x5 drums.... street roders. Imagine if they could put these on polished as a direct replacement for the various different 10 and 12 bolt rear ends they use.

I have 2 G bodies and an F body that could use new alum drums. I will be watching and waiting for them to come out;)

I'd buy a few sets. The aluminum drums on ebay are old, worn-out crap! People have no clue when they are out of spec, and still sell them. New aluminum drums would be great. Just make sure they have the built in 1/4" of spacing, just like the originals. It helps when running wide tires.

Just found out these will fit a ton of old school Pontiacs and that those guys are always looking for these too. ( that includes me :D )

So, maybe there is a need for someone retooling up a new set. :cool:

Greetings Bweavy,

I don't have definite information, but the alloy of aluminum they use may figure strongly in how well the part performs and how long it lasts. My guess is that an alloy with a significant iron content like a 7076 may work well, but again, that's only a guess, and it may or may not be called for. I'm sure your vendor will have an informed opinion about this; just be sure to ask.

Best,
MAP