NEW Aluminum Brake drums

Bweavy

Car Hoarder
Gauging intrests.
I met with a local guy here who has a foundry & we will be getting prices tomorrow around lunch time.
Trying to find out if there is an intrest in new units made off a GM mold.
Haven't discussed pricing yet. I'm sure that will happen tomorrow.
Like anything the more you buy the less it will cost.

I know there are still a lot floating around but they were discontinued from GM. I figure in the next few years they will be tough to find good used units.

Just some input of yes I would buy & what price range. Keep in Mind used units normally pull about $100 to $150 used on e-bay.

Eric Fisher I'm sure will pop in & tell me what they cost new ( I hope)

We just need something to gauge some intrest.

I'd be very interested if pricing was fair.
The only reason why the used drums go for so much on ebay is the supply-demand rule....put some new drums out there that are plentiful and I promise you the old used crap floating around will not be worth very much! Hell without gauges your in a 50/50 crap shoot as to the serviceability of the used drums your buying. Case in point, a few years ago someone I know bought a set from a guy at BG who claimed they were GTG....they were out of spec as they sat and completely warped and needed a ton to get them round again...no thanks...I'll stick with my steel drums or buy a set of new.

Find out the price and get back with us. If the price is good I will add that to my order I promise you.

I'd be interested if the price were within 25% of local auto parts stores cast iron replacements.

I'd be interested if the price were within 25% of local auto parts stores cast iron replacements.

That won't happen.

Last time I checked, cast Iron Drums were $22.

Nobody will make Aluminum Drums for $30, not even China.

interested if not more then double the price of metal- andassuming they come from china to get a good price

interested if not more then double the price of metal- andassuming they come from china to get a good price

They do not come from China. They will be built by a manufacturer who lost his busines basically from China outsourcing.
The company is 30 minutes away. No I'm not stating my source so every other vendor can contact them.
They use to build parts for Black & decker, Bosch & a few other companies. Once out sourced they couldn't compete.
It took a long time to get this company to want to fire up there casting & CNC Machines. I'm sorry I bothered.

Just from what I'm hearing I don't think I'll even bother with this,main accessory brackets,Intakes etc... Contact China yourself & get em built cheap. I really have no idea why I even bother with a 20+ year old car.:rolleyes:

Brian relax,

im sure what people are saying here is if the cost is kept down we would all love to have them

geeeeeeeezzzzzzz
idea
will these work on an s10?-maybe typhoon/syclone market would participate - they are only 15 years old or so

i dont think this would be a very good investment, nowadays with the nice disk conversions for a couple hundred bucks, the braking of a drum setup just isnt enough. You will honestly lose money if you do it i think. Case in point, i just bought 2 new steel drums for $36, to get me by until i switch to disks, i bet others feel the same way.
Gary

They do not come from China. They will be built by a manufacturer who lost his busines basically from China outsourcing.
The company is 30 minutes away. No I'm not stating my source so every other vendor can contact them.
They use to build parts for Black & decker, Bosch & a few other companies. Once out sourced they couldn't compete.
It took a long time to get this company to want to fire up there casting & CNC Machines. I'm sorry I bothered.

Just from what I'm hearing I don't think I'll even bother with this,main accessory brackets,Intakes etc... Contact China yourself & get em built cheap. I really have no idea why I even bother with a 20+ year old car.:rolleyes:

I think I know how you feel!. It seems now days that so very few really care about high quality and the costs involved. It all comes around to "how cheap can I get it". Fit and finish be damned. :mad:

I am not sure how many people want to convert to discs. I have rear discs on my TTA and they suck for brake launches.

I think these may be a good selling item.

I am not sure how many people want to convert to discs. I have rear discs on my TTA and they suck for brake launches.

I think these may be a good selling item.

I was going to say something like that, but figured I'd get the wrath of the disk brake folks.
They really do suck bad for foot brake launches on any seriousness.

DB's are great for stopping power (can't be beat), but they have NO clamping force what so ever!!!!

The parking brake on my 8,000# Excursion is pretty much useless, but man! stomp on the brakes and it gets hauled down in short order!!!! Of course the fact that it's a Hydroboost system helps immensely!

I wouldn't mind seeing NEW aluminum drums. I would never convert to rear disc. I'd rather put up with blown wheel cylinders, adjusting, etc, then convert. Stick with what works what I always say! Back to the topic, I was quoted 50 bucks fromt he local yard for used. I know the price of aluminum is high, paying the middle man, etc., but a estimate would be fair. I appreciate you helping the cause and would love to put Brand new straight true aluminum drums on my car, but would go used before I pay 100 per drum. Just being truthfull and not a cheapo. Me and everyone else I'm sure would hate to see you lose money on reproducing. ANy possibility you could get a ballpark figure? $$$/pair for x amount of drums made?

these drums wouldn't need to be limited to the TR/ SyTy market. they would also fit pretty much every GM passenger car back to about 64 that had the 4 3/4" bolt pattern and small rear brakes.
sell a polished version, and i promise they will show up in old Chevelles and Camaros..

I just think we need a price to base this one. Yes Steel drums $36/pair so if they made them for $80/pair to $100 then in. What Used Aluminum Brake drums fits on our cars again?? I forgot?