Need Fuel pump help ASAP, not priming

SlickTR

I'm freaking going crazy, I love this car but it's wearing thin on me real quick! The one time that i need it to be a reliable dd for a short period and it's one thing after another going wrong :mad:

Ok now that I'm done venting...The car started radomly cutting out on me, no FP, well fast forward to now, i figured the pump was done so I installed a new setup and...the fuel pump will not prime still, It's Brand new walbro with caspers hotwire. I checked the hot wire fuse and the inj/fp fuse and both are good, the relay is clicking (it does click once then a few seconds later click again, i dont know if that's normal or not) I dont hear the hotwire relay clicking at all though, no voltage coming from the red wire out of the hotwire relay. The grey wire on the factory harness i thought was power has also has no voltage but the purple wire has about 11v running to it. Any ideas on what the heck the problem is, I need this car running now.

EDIT: Also noticed my hazards are not working at all, fuse is good, indicators work but not hazards, I dont think this is related but hell you never know with these cars

My GN did the same thing a few months back, (would not prime ) with "key turned forward" I replaced the 30 amp hot-wire relay and all is good now.

My GN did the same thing a few months back, (would not prime ) with "key turned forward" I replaced the 30 amp hot-wire relay and all is good now.

Was your relay brand new?? The hotwire is brand new and the car has not even ran with on yet. I guess it could have been bad out of the package...Shouldnt the grey wire have power to it with the key on?

Disconnect the hot-wire relay and hook it back up with the factory wiring and see what happens, thats what I did with mine and it fired over, then I knew I had a bad hot-wire relay.

Disconnect the hot-wire relay and hook it back up with the factory wiring and see what happens, thats what I did with mine and it fired over, then I knew I had a bad hot-wire relay.

tried that, nothing. like I said I'm pretty positive the grey wire needs power going to it, that's why the hotwire relay isnt clicking, how to begin trouble shooting that I have no idea about.

Try this thread and of course the search feature.

Been covered a few times in the past. ;)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/283618-fuel-pump-fuse.html

It's a tan wire in the trunk area. :)

Found it last night, I was too tired to report back though lol...Funny you mention the tan wire in the trunk because that's what it was. The old pump was dead for sure I knew that, I got power to it and it still wouldnt run. The problem was when I put the new hot wire harness on with the new pump. The car had a poorly made home brew hotwire setup on it already from the previous owner, that setup had the relay in the engine bay and had a wire up front triggering the relay. The grey wire on the harness connector back by the FP was completely out of the equation on that setup. Problem is the casper's setup has the relay back by the FP and plugs into the factory harness relying on the grey wire to trigger the relay...So I started fishing around back there, pulling the loom off the harness and I found a big red wire that was cut at one end and the other end went into the trunk area. So I pulled the trunk carpet up and what do I find?...Yet ANOTHER hotwire setup that was put in at some point :confused: lol...who ever put that one in had cut the tan wire, which leads to the grey on the harness connector and had it plugged into that relay :rolleyes: So I soldered the tan wire back into the factory harness where it's suppose to be and bam, the fuel pump works now :cool: Crazy what you find on these old cars sometimes:D

Glad you found it the right way by troubleshooting it logically and not looking for a "magic" fix. ;)

Thanks for the explanation too, it does matter where the hot wire relay is located, and what has been done to the factory gray (up front) and tan wire (out back) as they trigger the hot wire relay wherever it may be located.