Need a little tuning advice. Sputtering, etc.

Welby

I have been having problems with my car sputtering badly on boost, which started after I put on Razor's alky kit and a Voodoo3 manual boost controller. I had been using a standard TT 91 octane chip and assumed that the issue was because of the chip, so I ordered an alky upgrade chip for 24-25 lbs of boost. I got the chip today and put it in, and also put in new plugs (AC Delco CR43TS), gapped at .030.

I took the car out for awhile and let everything settle in for 20 minutes or so, then found a few back roads that I could open it up on. The peak boost I saw after a short 25lb spike was about 22-23 lb's. I noticed that I am still getting a sputter once the alky kicks in at 10-12lbs' or so. It's nowhere near as bad now, but it's still there. I dropped the alky down to #4, but I'd really prefer to leave it at around 5 or so. Julio had also sent me a smaller jet for the kit awhile back (M10?), but it didn't make much difference.

One thing I've noticed with the car is, it doesn't seem to want to hold a fuel pressure. I pulled off of side road once the car was warmed up and checked my FP, it was about 39lbs, line off. I had just adjusted it not too long ago, but it didn't keep it set. After resetting the FP to 43, I tested the car out. When I got home I checked the FP again and it was 40 lbs. WTF?! :mad:. There are an Accufab regulator and an on the rail Marshall FP gauge on the car that I bought brand new 2 years ago.

Also notice that the car idles really rough (like there's a massive cam in it) and to put it mildy, it stinks, as in major exhaust smell coming out of the exhaust. I reek of exhaust right now, just sitting here :rolleyes:.

The car has 009's. Think they have anything to do with it? Could the MBC be causing some issues?

Here are my Scanmaster readings after coming back and pulling into the garage, at idle. My lowest 02's while I was out were about a 767 with 0 knock.

02 - all over the place
AF - 05
L8 - bounced from 37-36-39-38
BAT - 13.6v
INT - 133
BL - 115-116 (Should be 128, correct?:confused: )
CLT - 173
ATS - 105
RPM - 800-775-850
TPS - .44
IAC - 37
CC - varied, was climbing
NAL - 00

And advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks *knocking head on wall*

Yes block learn should be at 128, being at 115 means you're running rich and the computer is pulling fuel to compensate. If your fuel pressure will not stay set I would start there...

The BLM is telling you the computer is pulling a bunch of fuel to try to lean things out. Along with the sputtering, it sounds like it's rich everywhere.

I agree with Turbo6Chicago, take a closer look at the fuel pressure. Maybe the gauge is bad and the pressure is way higher than you think. Maybe start reducing fuel pressure a little at a time (forget what the gauge is saying) and see if it starts to clean up the sputtering. Watch for knock when reducing fuel pressure!

Eric

Good point made by Eric, it might not necessarily be the fuel pressure regulator, it could just as easily be a fault with the gauge that you're using to check pressure. Make sure that gauge is accurate before condemning any components with it.

As far as "can 009 injectors have anything to do with it?", I wouldn't think so, I run the same injectors, the same TT alky chip, and I don't have problems.

The fact that the computer is pulling fuel and you mention the exhaust gas smelling awful definately means you're running rich. My car is just a little bit rich right now, I haven't been driving it and have been too lazy to adjust the pressure, but even being a little bit rich you definitely notice it in terms of the smell of the exhaust.

I went back out in the garage last night about 10:30 and just took a little time to look things over. Discovered one vacuum line popped off of the EGR solenoid and another one that was really loose (That couldn't have helped anything), so I went through an zip tied pretty much every vacuum line in sight. Also popped the plug wires off of the coil pack, cleaned the terminals and coated them with dielectric grease. A few of them were pretty gunked up. One looked to have a sort of sulfer-ish, powdery residue at the base :confused: .

I took the MAF sensor out and hosed it down really well with MAF cleaner. The screen was clear but had some black grime on it. Also pulled the grounds off of the firewall, scuffed it, and put them back (Probably achieved nothing, but it couldn't hurt).

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to drop the FP 1lb at a time tonight to see if it helps. I'm going to look into getting a new FP gauge with a proper 3' line so I can monitor it from the car. I'd like to think the gauge I have is OK, but you never know :rolleyes:

I'm going to the track tomorrow, I'm hoping to have things sorted out somewhat tonight. At least sorted out to where I'm not going to blow up the car !

Never hurts to do the little maintenance items like you mentioned, even if it doesn't fix the problem.

A vacuum leak would cause it to run LEAN because the engine would be pulling in un-metered air through the loose hoses, so that won't help with the rich condition, but still a good idea to check all your hoses and secure them tightly.

Gradually drop fuel pressure, watch your 02s, see if it gets any better. See if your fuel pressure stays set or if it keeps changing pressure on its own.

I went back out in the garage last night about 10:30 and just took a little time to look things over. Discovered one vacuum line popped off of the EGR solenoid and another one that was really loose (That couldn't have helped anything), so I went through an zip tied pretty much every vacuum line in sight. Also popped the plug wires off of the coil pack, cleaned the terminals and coated them with dielectric grease. A few of them were pretty gunked up. One looked to have a sort of sulfer-ish, powdery residue at the base :confused: .

I took the MAF sensor out and hosed it down really well with MAF cleaner. The screen was clear but had some black grime on it. Also pulled the grounds off of the firewall, scuffed it, and put them back (Probably achieved nothing, but it couldn't hurt).

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to drop the FP 1lb at a time tonight to see if it helps. I'm going to look into getting a new FP gauge with a proper 3' line so I can monitor it from the car. I'd like to think the gauge I have is OK, but you never know :rolleyes:

I'm going to the track tomorrow, I'm hoping to have things sorted out somewhat tonight. At least sorted out to where I'm not going to blow up the car !
are u running a translator if it is the old one it may interfere with the alky. you have to hotwire the maf

to follow up, I took the advice of slowly lowering fuel pressure and ignoring the gauge, which seemed to help tremendously. I'll pick up a new FP gauge in the spring. I went to the track today and got three runs in. All were low 13's, but at 110 mph!. The car's running strong, now I need some real tires. 2.1 - 2.3 second 60's and Pep Boys radials are not gonna cut it anymore :D

Thanks for the alky chip, Eric. I'm sure it's had alot to do with how the cars running now :D . I still have alot to learn, but it's getting there :)

Best time: 13.09 @ 109.28
Best speed: 13.12 @ 110.02

It's beginning to haul the mail now :D :D :D

to follow up, I took the advice of slowly lowering fuel pressure and ignoring the gauge, which seemed to help tremendously. I'll pick up a new FP gauge in the spring. I went to the track today and got three runs in. All were low 13's, but at 110 mph!. The car's running strong, now I need some real tires. 2.1 - 2.3 second 60's and Pep Boys radials are not gonna cut it anymore :D

Thanks for the alky chip, Eric. I'm sure it's had alot to do with how the cars running now :D . I still have alot to learn, but it's getting there :)

Best time: 13.09 @ 109.28
Best speed: 13.12 @ 110.02

It's beginning to haul the mail now :D :D :D
get the 60 ft to a 1.6 and that should get you a 11.90ish