MPH = 97.3
1000' = ?
1/4 = 11.36
MPH = 124.31

Your Screen Name Here = turbov6joe
EMPTY WEIGHT: = 3465
BLOCK: = stock
HEADS: = stock
TRANSMISSION: = rebuilt by Dennis Millert (local guy)
TORQUE CONVERTER: = PI 9.5" #6 pump 5 disc LU
DIFFERENTIAL: = stock
INTERCOOLER: = stock with Duttweiler big neck
THROTTLE BODY: = stock
RJC POWER PLATE: = yes
INJECTORS: = MSD 50's
THERMOSTAT: = 160º
TURBOCHARGER:= John Craig TE45a
VALVE SPRINGS: = 110 pounders
MAF: = stock
DOWN PIPE: = THDP
EXHAUST: = stock with a Magnaflow crossflow (love the sound)
FUEL PUMP: = Walbro 340m
FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR: = old school 237 with adjuster inside
FUEL PRESSURE: = 40 static
ALCHOHOL INJECTION: = SMC
PROPAIN INJECTION: = NO
NITROUS: = sometimes (#33 fuel jet #40 NOS jet)
AIR FILTER AND AIR INTAKE: = 9" K&N with hardpipe
TIRE DESIGN, SIZE & AIR PRESSURE: = MT Street ET's 26x11.5
AIR BAG(s): = No
SCAN TOOL: - SM 2.1
FUEL: = sometimes 114, mostly Amoco 92 with alky
CHIP: = Eric Marshall "Da Chip Man"
CHIP TIMING: = 23.5º in first, 22.5º in second, 19.5º in third
KNOCK RETARD: = 22.5º always false on launch
OXYGEN SENSOR VOLTAGE: = .750 to .760
EGT: = 1600º-1650º
TRACK ELEVATION: = 1200'
TEMPERATURE: = 54º
PEAK BOOST: = 24psi
BOOST AT LAUNCH: 10 psi
MILES ON THE CAR/ENGINE: 15,244

When the motor was about 100% stock I managed to get it to run over 119 mph on alky and pump gas and a TE44. The TE44 was a solid 5 mph increase over the stock turbo and was run with an OE converter. Although the stock D5 spooled the TE44 just fine, Eric Marshall of turbotweak.com was able to lean out the lower RPM range to further increase the spool up characteristics. Later on I managed to get the TE44 to 123 mph
at 25 psi in 1-2 and ~28 psi in 3rd when the converter locked. This boost spike was a small obstacle I managed to overcome again with the help of Eric. See, when the boost would spike, the additional 3psi of boost was causing the motor to see some detonation. Eric was able to devise a fueling patch that added additional fuel in 3rd as well as removed some additional spark advance to keep the KR in check. Another problem that still plagues my TTA is a false knock that comes on usually on the launch....this to the tune of 25.5º of retard about every pass. I'm almost certain this KR is due to the THDP hitting the frame as I never had this problem with the 2.5" ATR DP. Becuase the motor is seeing so much false KR, the timing is significantly reduced and power is robbed. Eric threw a patch into the chip that ignored the knock sensor untill a pre-determined MPH was reached as well as a certain duration of time elapsed...this has all but gotten rid of that loss of timing. It still amazes me how easy it is to get the TTA's to go so fast for so little mods. I had a GN for over 13 years that took me forever to get to run the MPH I typically run now with a TON more speed mods and $$$. Whenever a headgasket finally goes, and that is just a matter of time, I have a local head porter that will get my heads for a complete "race" port job. This guy does amazing work and the cost is VERY reasonable. I personally looked at a few sets of heads he's done for friends and am convinced that this guy is selling himself short for the cost that he charges (I'm not saying a word!) As with any car....tuning is the key!! No one chip or part is going to make the car magically go fast, it takes countless passes and countless hours of "tweaking" the combo to get it just right....patience is the other key. Since my local track has become hard on following the NHRA rules for speeds attained, I cannot run my car "all out" anymore unless I want to put it in the trailer hours before the close of the track. I look forward to the 2004 race season and BG to get a chance to run it out and hopefully run some 125 mph passes on just 92 octane, alky, and BFG DR's:) A friend of mine created his own NAPA alky kit and seems to have hit the mark with it. He uses an NOS dry fogger and a .32 jet I believe to run BIG mph numbers (122), it's just a matter of time before he's also running 125+ mph on alky! Good luck to you all and have a great holiday season....se y'all in BG next year!

1989 TTA #14 "Festival Car" 15k miles.
11.36 @ 124.31 MPH...best numbers to date.
2003 Ram 3500 4x4 Cummins Diesel 6 speed HO...BOMBING has started!
pdq6cyl@hotmail.com
AOL IM: turbov6joe
GSCA # 2328
Chips by Eric Marshall @ www.turbotweak.com

Looks like you have almost all the bugs worked out Joe.

Not only does your car haul a$$, it is one of the cleanest TTA's I have ever seen!

...........note to self..........all fast TTA's are running alky. I don't have it yet.......I NEED TO GET IT! I want to go 120 mph!:cool:

Good runs there JOE:D

with the heads done i expect to see you running 4 tenths and 4 honest MPH more than the passes you were doing in NOBLE-

BW

Thanks for the kind words Mark, I try to keep the TTA as clean as possible considering it's 3 miles of gravel roads to get it to the paved road....hence the new enclosed trailer! BTW, your TTA is no slouch either!! I have a few ideas/tweaks in mind for the 2004 race season, one big one being a cold air intake system. Hopefully I can sweet talk my buddy Ed Brewer from DC Tech to find the time to help me design this system. Ed R&D'ed the unit they sell for the TR's and man I'm here to tell you, it's 100% functional in every sense of the word! My pop's GN has this unit and the intake temps are within 2-3º of the ambient...can't beat that! The TTA's are terrible for high under hood temps and this is not doing any good for my mission considering I'm still using the stock IC. If it wasn't for the cooling effects of alky, I would NEVER be able to run the numbers I do. I also need to find and fix the cause of my false knock. I'm almost certain it's the THDP hitting the frame but cannot say for sure. I'm also going to play with using the NOS fogger for the alky and see if it's any more superior to the M15 sprayer the SMC kit came with??? Lastly I'm prolly going back to a DR over the MT's. If I can't beat you on the launch, I'll sure run you down on the big end:)

Originally posted by turbov6joe
I have a few ideas/tweaks in mind for the 2004 race season, one big one being a cold air intake system. Hopefully I can sweet talk my buddy Ed Brewer from DC Tech to find the time to help me design this system. Ed R&D'ed the unit they sell for the TR's and man I'm here to tell you, it's 100% functional in every sense of the word! My pop's GN has this unit and the intake temps are within 2-3º of the ambient...can't beat that! The TTA's are terrible for high under hood temps and this is not doing any good for my mission considering I'm still using the stock IC.

I would be very interested in some kind of a cold air kit also. Alky is good, but this would be an ideal setup in my opinion. I just can't run my car at all in July and August here in Texas. Just too hot. I will either have to get alky, or get some kind o cold air system like your talking about.

I'm also going to drag radials.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
I'm almost certain it's the THDP hitting the frame but cannot say for sure. I'm also going to play with using the NOS fogger for the alky and see if it's any more superior to the M15 sprayer the SMC kit came with???

Joe, you running a torque strap? and pull a little paint on the pipe where it might be hitting. Typically if you rev the car in rev or drive you should hear it hit if its that close.

On the SMC, been there way ahead of you. You need to increase flow to get where you want to be. The little pump doesnt have enough ballzzz to get the job done. I was running tight 11.9's with my SMC kit. If I added xylene I could get down into the 11.70's no problem. Changing to the larger pump on same nozzle, 11.70's no problem. No xylene since June this year. I'm just at the limits of a lot of stuff and the weather in Florida is brutal :D

You can try adding another M15 but run the risk of flooding it turning it on too low.. dunno.

HTH

Hey Razor:

My SMC pump died. Is there one you recomend I replace it with since I need a new one any way?

TIA: Jason

Heres a radical idea I suggested a week ago, use a shureflow pump and TTA overflow for storage. Have the SMC box control turnon and pump speed... its a ninja death version of an SMC kit. You may be able and get the low sensor to work with the TTA tank. You'll need some hoses, tank, and pump. Capacity of the TTA tank is 1.5 gallons. And the pump should supply enough to really get flow. Install only involves stuff under the hood. Same nozzle.

You can use the smc tank for overflow..

I dont know who makes the SMC pump. If I did, i'd tell ya'll.

Let me know, i'll help you any way I can.

Razor,
I actually got my TTA to run 11.61 @ 120 (easy 60' time of 1.87) on the single M15, Amoco 92 and 100% denatured; this on "mild" race mode. I feel the car had more in it at the time but for whatever reason(s) I never put it on "kill" mode??? During the last part of this year I switched over to 114 and put the alky tuning on hold for a while but am in the process of running it again for the last part of this season. In some ways I disagree with ya on what the "maxed" potential of the SMC kit really is. I think I should be able to hit the numbers I want with this kit...it's all in the chip as I'm sure you well know. Myself and Eric Marshall spent a BUNCH of time on the phone and at the track "tweaking" what is now his base alky chip that he sell. With the help of his Tunercat program and my copy of the GM caldocs I think we were able to jump leaps and bounds into what the SMC kit it capable of! My last chip by Eric we had the duty cycle down to 72% and timing based off of gear position. Now Eric is programming his chips based off of MPH and is able to increase timing more gradually based off of this MPH versus what gear the tranny was in; this I think is a huge benefit over gear position....more linier. I now have his newest version chip with this MPH/timing adjustment and will have the last few Sundays in November to play with it before the track closes down for the year. I do like the idea you mentioned of using the SMC adjustability with the larger pump and resevoir for more flow; I might have to try that later on next season. Thanks for the info.

PS...I'm not using a torque strap and may need to get one sooner than later. I was under the car today and cannot see where that SOB is hitting.... I'm also chasing an exhaust leak that I can't seem to find. I might have to wait untill it's cold out and look for steam comming out from the leak:(

Joe,
Eric is doing with chips what i'm doing with alcohol. we are pushing the envelope and making things better for everyone.

My SMC kit point is as follows, there is only so much you can do given the pressure/flow output of the kit. every car responds differently. But When you run 11.6 the SMC kit is on pump speed 10. If you needed more..what do you do? And not flood/bog the motor. You will agree most high 11 sec low 12 sec cars are at pump speed 10, especially if you start adding a little timing. Its how it is in Florida.

I wont argue Eric is putting the other chip guys on notice.. with innovation and cars like yours to take things to a totally different level.

You cannot run a stocker on really higher boost unless you get the extra ooopmh of added spray. Its progression.. Just like we learn from watching what others do, we take that knowledge, apply it, and make a better mousetrap. The benefit is we all win.

I'd love to see more 10 second cars on the alky stuff..bring the GN terror back into the limelight as the King it once was.. especially in street trim... but if I and guys like Eric stop..aint gonna happen.

I want to have somebody push the envelope of development harder than i'm going at it. Its makes it better for all.

peace brother..we're in the same boat with the same goals..show me how to make something better..guess what..you bet I will. No choice ;)

Julio

I still have my single nozzle SMC kit. Running a Thrasher 92 with 93 octane and 100% denatured, my best was 11.82@121.4. Running the same but with Eric's chip, 11.61@115.7. There is plenty more in Eric's chip as its too rich in 3rd right now.

I run my pump speed on 8.5 and 9.0 depending on weather conditions. I don't run any higher than that.

My duty cycle is in the low 70's. So I have plenty of room to play with.

Rob yes, but your car has a cam, whereas mine doesnt and I have to run higher boost to make up the difference. Running the higher boost and temps means I have a higher requirement than you do. If I could get away with pump speed 8 .. history may have been different. ;)

Every little counts..

Cheers

Razor Rob yes, but your car has a cam, whereas mine doesnt and I have to run higher boost to make up the difference. Running the higher boost and temps means I have a higher requirement than you do.

Amen brother! So many parts have big effects on our set ups. You have your hands full when your trying to over come all the draw backs of a stock long block. Wouldn't it be awfull nice just to remove the damn intake manifold once so you could grind out the EGR tower and weld the hole shut? Anybody who has tried to push the limit of these motors always finds it harder and harder to get new gains. Sooner or later you run into brick walls. Guys with opened up motors already have a few walls knocked down for them. The other guys have to come up with ways to get around the walls.

Heres my mad scientist dream of an intake set up:
1. remove egr tower from manifold and weld hole shut.
2. weld a NOS fogger nozzle boss in each runner
3. have propane and alky to the nozzles(no nos)
4. run a progresive controller for both the alky and propane
5. have a chip that removes fuel as boost goes up
6. use propane and alky to replace the removed fuel

Anyone one to make one for me for free so I can check it out for them? I promise I'll send it back :D

Jason

I do have the 210/205 cam and evil double roller timing chain. Does it help, I'm sure it does but by how much? Its a baby cam.

I'm still running everything else stock. Stock EGR intact, screen for intercooler is still there, misaligned intercooler inlet from turbo, etc.

My car runs just like a stock car with the same mods for the most part.

I do run a 3" exhaust from turbo to muffler and Vigilante which I think is the only other difference between our cars. And I think you run slicks and I run Nittos.

I ran a 7.53 1/8 mile with a 1.80 60 foot on BFG's this June.. hotter timing chip..

But that little 2-3 MPH top end charge your car gets... that itty bitty cam.. ;)

Our cars are text book. They both have the same 100% mods, yet yours MPH better than mine after the 1/8 mile. Hell, you pick up 30 MPH from 1/8 to 1/4. I'm stuck at 25 at best. Same mileage, same mods.. I dont look at converter or 60 foot at the top of the track. :D

Bob down here ran 11.94 at 114 on 16 PSI with my stock turbo. Talk bout a little 210/205 cam and heads...1.80 60 foot BFG's as well.

So guess what cam i'll be running with my combo? :D

Heads, cam, Eric's chip..bonzai boost..11.10 at 125 :)

Or I can move up north and let Mike drive my car..then 10's for sure :)

Originally posted by Razor

Or I can move up north and let Mike drive my car..then 10's for sure :)

I want to buy another stock one SOOO Bad just to play this game again. Its just too much fun.

I think of some of the things I could have done different, I know 11.60s on the stock turbo would have been possible. Hell I went 11.77 with it, maybe try it on pumpgas this time.

:( :(

Mike..its easy.. its only money..price hasnt changed.. :)

Wonder how fast a stock turbo could be taken given heads, cam, intercooler, etc... talk bout a question.. and at lower boost levels, the air isnt getting beaten up.. that motor your building, how fast could it go on a stock turbo?

Yes theyre fun till the tranny goes :D , rear end howls :D , and ....

hehe

Originally posted by Razor
Mike..its easy.. its only money..price hasnt changed.. :)

Wonder how fast a stock turbo could be taken given heads, cam, intercooler, etc... talk bout a question.. and at lower boost levels, the air isnt getting beaten up.. that motor your building, how fast could it go on a stock turbo?

Yes theyre fun till the tranny goes :D , rear end howls :D , and ....

hehe

Built motors and tons of mods suck. It makes the car "quirky" and annoying to drive.

I'd like another stock one, tweak it and leave the motor alone and go run 11s.

I know its only money, but I don't have anywhere to keep it. I need a Garage....

Ya know Mike, I thought the very same thing, but the damned old speed bug bit me years ago and that idea carries about as much weight in my book as a bag of feathers:) I bought my TTA as basically a stock unmolested car that ran ~108 mph through the traps, look at my sig now (just a tad over 1 year later). Sometimes I wish there was a shot my doc could give me to cure me of this "fever" I have (I'm certain my wife feels the same way).