My progress thread...

Usetaboost, its the foot wells in the rear, seems to be common on these cars. I want to do the job right so i'm considering replacement pans, gbodyparts have the whole left and right sides for about $500, maybe when i halve them i can sell off the front pans.

V8 assassin, when you used the por-15 filler will that close up wholes the size of a dime? My rear floorpans have three dime size holes and the reast are pin holes. I what to try and get a factory look when i'm done.

Luke

Not sure if just the filler will work, check this out....

Putty, Fillers, and Sealer-POR-15 Inc.

I would go with the epoxy putty, stuff is like jb weld only better :cool: should be able to sand down to the factory look. The floor pan fiber patch will leave it looking like fiber there. Almost out of metal ready, if ordering be sure to get enough of this their shipping time is about one week.

IT'S OFF. Got a feeling its gonna be a pain going back on. Here's some worry pics. Feel free to elaborate. The set up for the shell is temporary until I get some more time to do it a little more "safe." More rust also:rolleyes:

Attachments

• SANY0116.JPG
    SANY0116.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 3,083
  • SANY0117.JPG
    SANY0117.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 3,069
  • SANY0118.JPG
    SANY0118.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 3,013
  • SANY0121.JPG
    SANY0121.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 3,004
  • SANY0122.JPG
    SANY0122.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,987
That hole in the frame is the worst one. The most of them are in good shape yet or at most "slight wear." Thinking about pulling the motor and tranny out and just doing the whole damn thing. Weird thing I noticed the rust on the body and frame were opposite of each other. Just got laid off so I probably won't be doing too much for a while:mad: I also noticed my dp recieved a dent from the upper a arm hitting it and it is also making contact with the crossover. Hopefully this is where my funny intermittent motor noise is coming from.

Attachments

• SANY0123.JPG
    SANY0123.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 2,965
  • SANY0124.JPG
    SANY0124.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,968
  • SANY0125.JPG
    SANY0125.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,939
  • SANY0126.JPG
    SANY0126.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,943
  • SANY0127.JPG
    SANY0127.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,936
Very sorry to hear about the job :mad: Progress looks great! Don't fret too much about putting it back on, it will just sit right back in place :rolleyes:

Good job dude!!! At least it will be done right. I've been thinking about doing a frame off on my GN in my later years! Hopefully you'll be able to get back to work soon. We'll have a new president in there soon so things will hopefully get back to normal. How do you plan to fix the hole in the frame?

I dunno. I have no idea how much slop there actually is with the body bushings sitting in there because there was nothing left of them when I took them out of the holes. Metal rings and everything fell out of the bushings-totally gone. Guess I'll have to wait until I get new ones which who knows when that will be.

I wonder if it would be worth just going to the boneyard and getting a new frame? I'm sure you get one really really cheap. Then start from there! -----Jeremy

Frame actually seems to be in really good shape compared to other gbodies I've had. The pics of the body mount holes make them look a lot worse. Only one of them looks REAL bad. They aren't rusted, just egged out. I think one of the center bushings was still together when I pulled them out. I would guess they are all the same size so I'll go around and see how bad they all are. The rear frame rails are in good shape yet so I'll probably just go ahead and keep the frame. My friend works at a place that builds farm equipment and said he can powdercoat my frame for 400 bucks. They sandblast and clean it-do it all. Said just roll it in there. I'll have to get some more info on that.

g-bodyparts.com has the washers to fix the body mount holes in the frame. I got to order 4 for mine.

4 holes need to be repaired. Other than that it looks pretty solid. I probably own the only solid Gbody frame in Sioux City;)

Haven't been doing too much lately until I got a shock of motivation last night. Got the ass end sat down on the barrel, wormed the picker from one end of the garage to the other. Undid the fuel lines, tranny lines, PS lines, put the back tires on it so I can move it by myself. Should have the motor and tranny off tonight!

I got your email, about needing floor pans and drivers quarter. The floors in the parts car are extremely solid. The drivers quarter however is toast. The car was hit hard in the left rear. I personally am not interested in cutting the floor out, but if you would like to buy the remainder of the body and frame (in rolling condition) when I have removed everything I want, I would certainly be open to that. I am in Prescott, Wi. About 20 minutes from St. Paul, Mn.
Let me know if you are interested at my email mandslac@earthlink.net
Thanks, Mike

well guys, had to scratch another itch last night and decided to pull the motor and tranny off the frame. had a buddy here so I toook advantage. The frame doesn't seem so overwelming anymore. I'm gonna try getting the lines stripped off and roll it outside and power wash the sh!t out of it this weekend. Then the dismantling will continue. Also bought a few things to start some body work also:biggrin:

Here's some news. Got the lines all taken off except for the back ones and front ones going to the caliper. gearbox off, degreased adn cleaned the frame to the best of my ability with a jug of purple power and a power washer. THere's actually a little bit of paint on the frame still. Funny, it's got new shocks-still had tags, just dirty as hell. I sprayed out in the sun for about an hour. springs still have paint also. Weird thing, rear has lots of surface rust except springs and shocks, and the lower arms look new compared the the scaley rust covered uppers. Learned something today, sway bar is bolted to lowers:redface: Never noticed! I took a few pics but they don't come up on the computer even though they're still on the camera. Now the decision...what do I disasemble first, front or rear?

You still working on your frame-off TR? Boy, you and I could exchange some war stories!!:eek: Rust is only a problem if you dont have a sandblaster, mig welder and some trash Maytag washing machines layin around.:biggrin: Yep I said Maytag... that's what mt quarters are made of :D. Send me a PM Or post your loc in IOWA and we could BS for hours!! I'm in Urbandale....suburb of Des Moines. GOOD LUCK!!!!! :cool:

Sioux city. Hell I haven't even started on the body yet. GOt some parts, that's about it. Still need about another half a truck load of stuff though. Pretty much paid for the setup, wheels, steering wheel, tranny and rear, the rest of the car was free:rolleyes: It's the biggest POS I've ever owned body wise but I've liked it since the day I fired it up and pulled it on the street:cool: Car came torn apart with buckets and bowls of nuts and bolts with whatever in the trunk and inside the car, plus it was wrecked. SOB's ugly as hell, but the ladies love it:biggrin: My wife calls it my mistress, to that I say "OOOOH BABY";)

USETABOOST....you got some work ahead of you, good job so far.

I am getting ready to start replacing the entire interior. Who - or how - do you recommend for interior replacement parts. The dash trim right in front of the instrument bolster is starting to warp. I'd like to just replace the entire dash, but I need to see what I can salvage.

I'm at the point where all I need to do is body/paint/interior.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I am REAL interested in a frame off.

Keep it up!

Yeah that's all I've had to do for the past year and a half! I'm gonna just go with good used stuff for my car cause I want it to be as close as possible to original appearing.

I started my frame off a little over two years ago:eek: You definately have to be VERY patient and keep chuggin away at it....It's worth it when you start putting things back together. I bought mine wrecked as well on ebay. Didn't look like much when I brought it home... but what a difference two years can make!! If I could figure out how to resize all my pictures i could post some. they are too big evidently.:redface: I have an assortment of extra parts left over...let me know what you might need. Maybe I can help. I would like to check out your progress some time. BTW my wife says my license plate must read: OTHRWMN :D:D