Modified Kenne Bell Airdam

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
I am one of the fortunate people to have one of the best looking airdams ever made for these cars, but unfortunatly this airdam wont work with my frontmount. Solution=Cut it the "F" up :eek: .

To start you need 1 Kenne Bell (good luck finding one)
Corugated cardboard
Fiberglass sheets, and resin.
scissors, and razor blades.
Duct tape :rolleyes:
Sand paper to rough the surface up with
And last but not least, BEER:)

Basically I trimmed the airdam to fit around my intercooler pipes. Then used the cardboard to make a template (mold?). Then bend and tape the cardboard to the design you are trying to accomplish. Lay fiberglass on top and apply resin. I used some staples to hold the fiber down tight on the flat surfaces and even some of the curved ones. I still have to cut some original material away, then I will put some glass mat on the underside to make it more durable.

I know what your thinking "cardboard":confused: . If you sandwich the cardboard in between the fiberglass you could probably beat someone to death with it, it makes it extremely strong.

Obviously it isnt finished yet. I still need to apply more glass, bondo, sand, trim....yada yada

The scoop will now direct air into the rad, and trans cooler, any maybe put some downforce on the nose :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Airdam1.jpg
    Airdam1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,612
  • Airdam2.jpg
    Airdam2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,434
  • Airdam3.jpg
    Airdam3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,443
  • Airdam4.jpg
    Airdam4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,459
I am one of the fortunate people to have one of the best looking airdams ever made for these cars, but unfortunatly this airdam wont work with my frontmount. Solution=Cut it the "F" up :eek: . /QUOTE]

You got that right... I was thinking the same thing about 3 years back with my old car... I got rid of the car with the factory airdams and kept the KB, it will be going on my new car when I get the time to repair and paint it... here is a pic on the old Turbo-T

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,437
Looks great. I never see any with the dual intakes, I've seen a couple of single "ram" airs. I think that was one of the only reasons I bought my car. IF I ever sell it they will not get the KB airdam :biggrin:

It'll work really well too. I did that back in 99 when I had an ATR FM on my GN. Used to run 190 or hotter in the summer even on the highway......After the center scoop mod, I had no more issues at all.....I always liked the KB front piece too. Mine only had the one scoop.

You shoulda got the Xbox 360 Pro, its comes w/ more stuff and is a btter value :)

Nice use of the box though :D

You shoulda got the Xbox 360 Pro, its comes w/ more stuff and is a btter value :)

Hahahahahaha. I got a broken xbox from a friend, and traded it in. The only game I really play is Forza 2. The box is excelent for molding, thats why I got the cheap one :rolleyes:

Here is an attachment of my Limited with the KB two piece dual ram air's

Attachments

• IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 2,192
looks good , I like the wheels, they would be great for a sleeper! They wouldn't know what hit them.

who want a spankin from grandpa?????????

the xbox elite is better! and it black like a gn :eek:

on a side not i have a kenne bell air dam that my mom ran into a crub and broke it, it just sits in the garage now.

buickbert

So the question is.............. what color are you going to paint the air dam when its done?:p

So the question is.............. what color are you going to paint the air dam when its done?:p

If I was trying to match the color of the car in its current state I would paint rust spots all over it :eek: :( , But I think its gonna be painted gloss black. I've havent been able to finish the bondo work yet because of time and wheather. Hopefully I can finish off most of the bondo and finish work within a week then paint it.

A little progress

I trimmed it up a little and re-enforced the scoop. Then put some bondo with fiberglass hairs on it, and sanded it down a little. BTW when using Bondo try and get it as smooth as possible the FIRST time so you dont have to sand as much :rolleyes:. Next I have to put some standard Bondo on it to get a decent finish.

Attachments

• airdam2 001.jpg
    airdam2 001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,909
  • airdam2 003.jpg
    airdam2 003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,882
  • airdam2 004.jpg
    airdam2 004.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,883
it's official, gimme a couple months but i'm def going to make an airdam somewhat similar to this, looks good keep it up

So I sanded down the bondo with the fiberglass hairs and coated it with some regular bondo. Then shot some primer over it to bring out any other defects that I could see, and put some more bondo on it. And finished off with another coat of primer. I still have to re-enforce the outside corners of the airdam with some glass to stiffen it up a little more and do some touch up to the rest of it. BTW Bondo and resin have one of the best smells ever.

Attachments

• airdam5.jpg
    airdam5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,830
  • airdam6.jpg
    airdam6.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,861
  • airdam7.jpg
    airdam7.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,849