Methanol & Fire

Linewalker

I have an SMC alky system in my car. Right now, I am running Snow's Boost Juice in it because it is 51% water and 49% methanol. I'm afraid if the pump leaks it will cause a fire if I run straight methanol. Is this a legitimate concern or am I just being paranoid?

I run straight Meth with no problems..............

Remember the tank and inner fender is plastic so risk of a spark is very low.

It takes a lot of methanol and a very large heat source to get a fire going. The vapor pressure is low and small leakage disappears before it can build up enough vapor. Gasoline on the other hand. Don't go there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect both of y'alls opinions so that puts my mind at ease. Time to pour straight methanol back in and turn up the boost! Thank you guys!!

I've been running DIY alky kit for 17 years and have had no issues.

I suppose it's safe.
yup.gif

ENGINE FIRE.jpg

I would very seriously take any fuel or alky leak under the hood as this is a result of a e-85 leak.

Yep... whether E85 or 93 pump that is much more volatile than alky. Some concern sure but not like gasoline.

Case in point When I'm refilling the alky I do this with a cold engine bay to be on the safe side.

This is what happens when you keep your alky in the coolant overflow bottle. In this case, one of the oil cooler lines split, starting a small fire. The small fire melted the bottle, and it turned into a really big fire.

Do not store fuel (and methanol is a fuel) in the engine bay.

bishirBurning.jpg

There is a video with a Buick engineer that was on the turbo project. He stated that the reason Buick didn't install the Power Injection system is that they couldn't get the car through crash safety testing.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Uh oh. Now, I feel strongly BOTH ways. :) I guess we all take a chance just getting out of the bed in the morning. Life is all about risk/reward. It's up to the individual whether the risk is worth the reward. Personally, I'm going to pour in the methanol and turn up the boost!

If you want to be a little safer add a little water.

jmo, I run 80/20 alky and water.

Only reason is its safer than 100% meth.

Not saying this is gonna happen to you but look where most keep us have our alky tank...if the alky tank ever ...., the meth could head the direction of the turbo housing. Now with this being said, I will continue to use meth injection and like Julio's kit.

Only us Buick naggers use 100% meth, volt boosters , grainger valves , HD actuators.lmao

Anything can happen with a high performance car, certainly while at WOT. A combination of unfortunate circumstances and bad luck can lead to bad things happening as in the damage caused by the fire displayed above. So, you should all give me your cars so you'll know that will never happen to you.
yup.gif

Can you bring it? I can't pick it up. My arm strength isn't what it used to be. :(

Last edited:
Anything can happen with a high performance car, certainly while at WOT. A combination of unfortunate circumstances and bad luck can lead to bad things happening as in the damage caused by the fire displayed above. So, you should all give me your cars so you'll know that will never happen to you.
yup.gif

I understand what you are saying, but even regular ole' street driving involves fender benders. Has nothing to do with WOT or a high performance car.

You put a gallon of fuel in a plastic container in the right front corner of the engine compartment, and you better hope that it doesn't even get lightly hit. Lets see, plastic container, hot downpipe, hot turbo housing, and leaking a highly flammable fuel.

A Metco spare tire fuel cell is better. But at a minimum installing a firewall on the package shelf and behind the rear seat is a really good idea.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I dont have any aky yet but i thought the windshield washer bottle was on the driver(left) side. I saw a few threads of folks putting it in there

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I understand what you are saying, but even regular ole' street driving involves fender benders. Has nothing to do with WOT or a high performance car.

You put a gallon of fuel in a plastic container in the right front corner of the engine compartment, and you better hope that it doesn't even get lightly hit. Lets see, plastic container, hot downpipe, hot turbo housing, and leaking a highly flammable fuel.

A Metco spare tire fuel cell is better. But at a minimum installing a firewall on the package shelf and behind the rear seat is a really good idea.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Let me put it this way then. I've been on this board for 17 years and I never heard of a fire caused or fed by the alky filled over-flow bottle until today. Now, has it happened other times? I suppose. But it's a very, very, rare occurrence and what you're suggesting is extreme overkill. Some TR owners retain a charcoal cannister because they're just that anal about things. I'm just not one of those people. :D

Last edited:
You could use the windshield washer bottle instead it just won't hold as much. Julio's kit come with the overflow bottle set up for alky.

Either way if your in a wreck say a front collision it could be a problem. I'm with Boxcars the odds are low that something would happen.

Yes I have alky, yes its in the overflow bottle, yes if I get hit in the RF fender it could cause a fire. No I don't drive it everyday. Yes I know the risk.