Maybe I'll rebuild it myself.

PigGuy

Link to original thread
pan.JPG

I haven't made any progress since the day I pulled the pan. I now have a couple months off of school and some free time, but still no money.
I have two basic choices. I have it rebuilt (high-end performance) for about $2000 and then I add a Vigilante torque converter for a total of $3000.
My second choice is to rebuild it myself, but I don't know what it would cost for everything I'd need, and then the $1000 for a torque converter. I never would have considered that option until my friend tried to convince me I could do it. I have two months and nothing better to do after work. I am willing to try to tackle the rebuild myself to save as much money as possible.

I'm wondering, what could have failed to caused that awful mess in the pan?
Could it be something that wore the VB or tranny case to the point that the original core couldn't be rebuilt? This transmission has been rebuilt at least once in its past.

Where can I get this ATSG manual everyone is talking about? I couldn't find one on eBay.

Three reasons:
First, I want to keep the numbers matching.
Second, I am 30 minutes from Jannis Transmission, so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping, and my friend can tow it there.
Third, if I build it myself, I can say I built it myself and I'll have knowledge I can apply to future transmissions I need to build.

All good points.
Since it'd be your first rebuild, if it was me, I wouldn't do it without the help of someone who has done it before. Even if you just have them stand over your shoulder. Just my opinion.

Good point Craig. These trannies are tricky. Even the so-called guru who rebuilt mine can't get it right. He supposedly has 20 years experience building trannies. By the way, it is noone associated with this board, it is the all-knowing AAMCO guys.:D