Its that time agian! Name that Problem

Snake Killer

Hope you have nothing to do, this might be a long read.

After buying the car, everything ran great, no smoke, nice idle, new chip, replaced tires and all wheel bearings, life was good... One day driving down the freeway car starts making a grinding noise, but shortly goes away.. A few hours later I'm driving to the gas station, noise comes back this time a little louder. I immideitly shut the car off and coast into the station, pop the hood and check **** out, oil all over some smoke from the block, but maily from the oil spilling out on to it, but i thought i maybe blew the head gasket, but the oil wasnt coming from the head, it was shooting out of the Dip Stick, which was slightly Askew.

Now that means there is compression going down into the oil pan correct? This means it can be a host of problems, but i'm thinking maybe the rings are bad, or some seal somewhere isnt holding up.. I'm not really an engine guy, so I'm not sure what else it could be.. Once i got the car into the shop, i figured out the grinding noise was coming from the acc belt, where a bearing was completely gone and the fan was grinding on a bracket, causing sparks that made me **** my pants, since the motor was covered in oil... I doubt that has anything to do with my oil problem, and i've replaced the bearing and the belt, now i'm left with the option of pulling the motor tommorow to investigate, or hopefully someone on this board know his tech and can pinpoint the problem with the crappy detials i've given.

any help will be freakin awesome

TIA
Will

sounds like rings to me- double check your PCV valve though- if crank case pressures arent being able to escape out of the valve- itll find the next easiest way out- popin the dipstick

Will do, the PCV might be blocked? I'm running an open valve I'm pretty sure cause the breather popped off, when the problem started occuring oil was shooting out of there a little bit too. I'm thinkin its rings too and the motor needs to come out, which sucks and is a pain. But got to do what u got to do..

Thanks for the fast reply

Wil

im gonna end up pulling my motor over the winter- i did main bearings in the car- then a cam in the car because of a wiped lobe- i figure its worth it to just refresh everything at the same time- pull the motor and get her running again- good luck!

andrew

Actually it could very well be a head gasket. Considering that your car was running smooth with no problems only hours beforehand, something had to give. Rings dont usually destroy themselves in a matter of minutes like that under normal driving conditions.

Your head gasket probably blew out on the interior of the cylinder, underneath the intake manifold and therefore blowing out compression into the lifter galley.

The oil should look fine, but one cyl should have low compression, like 20-40psi. All the pressure has to go somewhere so it is relieved out your dipstick tube and then your valve cover breathers.

Run a compression test and see, if one is low, youve found your problem and a head gasket swap is only a few hours work. Be glad it didnt fill the crankcase with antifreeze.

Also remember to use new head bolts when installing the gaskets!

HTH