intro and opinions.

the_momo

hey everyone, ive been a lurker and figured i'd post up and get some input on my current/future setup

im jake and i have a 1st gen 350 in a....nissan 240sx. i had a turbo 2.4(stock motor) in the 240 at first, then it blew up and i got the sbc for free. so i put two and two together.

so basically this is what i have
4bolt main 350 (from 86 silverado)
th350 auto
vic jr intake manifold
carter q jet 650 cfm carb (it was free, it works for now)
some comp cam kit (also free, not sure on the specs)
gm hei ign.
hurst shifter.
thats it as of now.

now my question is, i have been looking into a mild twin turbo setup. ill probably do some holset hx35 turbos (the cummins stockers) because they are cheap and redily avaliable, and wont spool at idle....
i like the idea of a blow through carb setup like a csu carb, but thats really a little out of my price range. i really am leaning this way because well a twin turbo carbed v-8 in an import will make a few people upset.:)

for now, i dont plan on doing much more than 6-8 psi as i dont really want to build the bottom end and trans as of now, and thatll be closing in on the chassis' limitations without a cage (sometime in the future it will get one.) id honestly be happy with 400 whp in that car (its only about 2900 with the sbc, slightly heavier that the stock setup.) anything more would be just be a bonus.

i have also considered doing an efi setup. i can do a megasquirt for pretty cheap, and i have some experience in efi tuning,(i tuned my srt-4 myself and it makes ~330whp). it would be a modified vic jr. intake (weld in injector bosses) and probably something like a fast tb or something, havent looked too deeply into that yet, just some ideas i got from this years autorama here in mi.

what im looking for is some opinions or personal experience on which avenue i should pursue. other turbos to suggest? maybe different carbs. thats what i want to know. ive gotten a lot of info, i am just a little lost on what will be the best bang for my buck.

as for a budget...let say best for the least. im not going to say as cheap as possible, but im not looking for 1khp for 50 bucks. ill get the quality to make it reliable, but its not my dd. its just a fun car. i just want it to be a little funner.....most of the parts that can be fabbed will (manifolds, carge piping, things like that) as im more than capable of doing so.

so thats about it. if anyone has any other good resources for me to consider, im all ears. thanks in advance for the help and also for being such a good resource, you all have been a bigger help in gathering my info than any other place ive found.

thanks again!