Installing new motor mounts... WTF?!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Ok, I have now found my new least favorite part to install on any vehicle ever... MOTOR MOUNTS! Seriously, this has been the most exhausting removal of any part ever. I've never pulled the engine on this car, but for some reason there is virtually ZERO access to the motor mounts. Even after removing the long bolts and raising the engine, removing the mounts has taken every ounce of patience I have.

Am I missing something serious here, or is this just a flat out pain in the ass? I'm an in shape, flexible, skinny 23 year old... I dont know how some of the old timers are doing this. I did plenty of research, it seemed straight forward, and even with an electric impact gun this is miserable. I am also going through the wheel wells, and have the car way off the ground on jack stands.

I've been at this over 4 hours already (including set up), and I just now got the driver's side mount off... access to the passenger side doesn't look any worse right now but I had to take a break. I think I have finally found the only part that I would rather pay top dollar to have some one else do. :eek:

The is the only car I have ever had this much of an issue with installing new motor mounts... maybe it's just not my day.

I always just removed the two bolts that hold the mount to the block, then lifted the motor up, and then removed the long bolt. It was not that hard. A ratchet with a swivel handle helps. You aren't trying to remove the motor mount perches from the frame, are you?

I changed mine...it was real easy. Just pulled the tires and went through the wheel wells with a long extension and a swivel socket.

I have begun to notice that these cars can be more of a PITA to work on than other G-Body's.

Good luck on that other mount.

~JM~

Nope just trying to remove the mounts off the block. Well after I took a break and wrote this post, I got the other mount off and the new ones reinstalled. The old ones were in bad shape. I did them one at a time and made sure each one went on the right side. Im starting to get the feeling that the condition of the old ones are one of the main reasons why this has been such and issue. They were pretty smashed, and

Now I have a new issue, the mounts dont line up with the frame. I can get the driver's side in just fine, but I cant get the passenger side to line up. Any suggestions? I was going to attempt to jack and ratchet strap it to shift it around until it lines up.

Just to make sure, are the part numers the same or different on the boxes. You can confuse them and end up with the problem you're describing.

They are definitely different, and matched the ones that came off the car. I think I am going to get back at it in the morning and enjoy the cold front!

Slow it up........you may have to make adjustments ie: attitude and stop swearing "GRASSHOPPER"
Oh................N this ill piss ya, ya only need a stock DS replacement!

Slow it up........you may have to make adjustments ie: attitude and stop swearing "GRASSHOPPER"
Oh................N this ill piss ya, ya only need a stock DS replacement!

Haha all I've done today is cursed at the car. Both sides were seriously deteriorate, decided to replaced them because my downpipe likes to cause false KR.

I've got a redneck solution that Im going to try in the morning... Im going to have a buddy bump the starter to rock the engine back and forth so I can get the PS bolt in. It's soo close, but raising and lowering it wasn't doing what I needed. I did it a few times tonight and it moved it almost into place.

I also had problems getting the passenger side bolt in years ago when I replaced my mounts. If I remember correctly, the solution was to grab the plenum with both hands and rock the engine back and forth as hard as possible...like you are trying to wrestle a bear. It will eventually come to rest in a spot to where you can get the bolt through. Also, as someone already mentioned, extensions and u-joints are your friend when it comes to tackling jobs like this.

hey bud put a jack and a nice piece of wood under the trans pan and get ur angle rite will slide rite in!! ;)

I put a jack under the edge of the oilpan with a a block of woodfor support, and was able to position my bolt holes as needed

Where are your jack stands? On the frame corners behind the front tires, right? Ever notice how much the front frame railes and front clip sag when the jack stands are there? Might want to try moving the jack stands to the front lower control arms, out as close to the ball joints as you can safely put them, this supports the front end "naturally", like the tires might. Something to try.

Or.... you may have to loosen the bolt holding the tranny to the rear mount so the engine can be moved around a bit more.

Got it done guys! I wound up putting the wheels back on and lowering it onto ramps. The frame straightened out some, but not enough. I wound up unbolting the transmissions and used a jack and ratchet strap to get it where it needed to be. Thanks guys!

It didn't even cross my mind that the frame was flexing! Even with all of the braces, these things still flex an amazing amount... It makes me want a cage even more!

Thanks again!

Assuming you put stock replacement mounts in? Not a fun job but using HR mounts would be the last time you would have to worry about it. I did both sides on my car. Drivers side was easy and I took advantage of when I was doing a header and turbo swap to do the pass side. Was real easy that way. Glad you got it done though.

try replacing an alternator on a 98 mercury sable v6 lol. it's enough to make you wanna kick the dog!