Im going in....(Timing Chain)

If you need one of those copper gaskets, let me know, I have a couple on the shelf. :)

I did a search looking for directions on removing and/or installing a chip. Couldnt find any. I know why, ITS PRETTY FN SIMPLE!! :D

Locate panel on Passenger side.
117156595.jpg

Pull it out. Fold back top piece to expose the computer harness.
117156804.jpg

Pull the computer out of the plastic panel.
117156882.jpg

Rotate the computer and locate the Cover piece. With a 1/4 drive and a 1/4 socket, remove the two screws holding it to the computer.
117156895.jpg

Once those are removed, I had to use a Razor blade to seperate the cover piece.
117156907.jpg

and once that was removed, you get to see the Heart of it all.
117156921.jpg

With a small amount of prying, the chip comes out.
117156928.jpg

Now all I have to do is, wait for my new chip, install it, and fire the GN up.
Hopefully it is going to be that easy.

Heres a little Chrome piece I picked up off Ebay.
117157052.jpg

More to come.
Craig

Great pics and detail, now i only wish i could get those with how to install the grey wire for the extender chip into the ecm. Arrrrr your going to run the turbotweak chip so, you wont be using the little grey wire :(

Your engine bay looks soo clean. I can't wait to hear how it runs once you get the new chip in it.

Nick

Thanks guys :)
The engine bay...I think I have reduced the cars overall weight by 100lbs, of GRIME and MUCK!!! Im finally getting to where I can touch one bolt and not get dirty. It still has a ways to go, but its,so far, an interesting journey.
Ill just be happy when it run again. Then the doors are going to get some much needed luv. ;)

Craig

Congrats on the 100# loss, but you have to factor in the 7 pounds of grime under your nails from all the workhours that you have put into your beauty !!!! ;)
You have it looking great. Thanks for the information and inspiration. I will try to document my future improvements as well as you did and post them for our newer members.

Excellent thread!!!

Hear is what i do for the simple and easy way to change the chips, take the panel out and leave the outer plastic cladding on.

On the removable panel, leave the small screw out nearest your seat so you can just turn the panel up if you leave the other one somewhat finger tight.

If you pull the computer out enough, you can lift the small panel up and do a simple chip change in less than a minute, and push it all back together...

I see a RJC bleeder setup in your near future, that 49 will spool faster than the stock turbo with it!

BW

Don't forget to disconnect your orange ECM wire at the battery. And to ground yourself out before touching the chip,for static electricity.

Great info and pics :)

WOHOO!! I get to get more parts!! LOL!!
The RJC bleeder...Do I still run the Factory Wastegate solenoid? How does it work?
Im "jonezin" here cause all I am waiting on is my chip. Then I can fire this thing.
Hopefully it DOES fire and I can get it to my buds shop with the lift. Then the New HR Rear Control arms and bushings get installed.

Do we ever get to enjoy DRIVING these GNs?? ;)

Craig

Steve V said:
Don't forget to disconnect your orange ECM wire at the battery. And to ground yourself out before touching the chip,for static electricity.

Great info and pics :)

HUH?!?!! What can a static zap do?? :eek: Now Im worried,
Man these cars are Picky. :frown:

Dont worry bout it, but in the future, please try and disconnect the orange wire next to the battery temporarily. Ive heard of many people not unhooking the wire and not having any issues, but its just good practice to undo that orange wire everytime when you do the chip change.
As for static, just try and touch something metal, usually the door handle before getting in the pass side to do the change.

Rjc-
Surely that you know about it, it deletes the wastegate solenoid and makes the turbo spool faster, no adjustable wastegate needed so to speak..
Some cars vary
BW

Craig, if you want to try the RJC bleeder, let me know. I bought one, but it wouldn't let me run my high boost levels. You can try it, and if you like it I'll sell it to ya for cheap.

KevinB said:
Craig, if you want to try the RJC bleeder, let me know. I bought one, but it wouldn't let me run my high boost levels. You can try it, and if you like it I'll sell it to ya for cheap.

Thanks Kevin.
I replaced the WG Solenoid with a new one from Kirbans already. I was reading that they could go out and over boost the engine. Since I was worried about the excessive miles on it, I went ahead and replaced it. Looking back, the stock old one is probably fine (its on the shelf)

So as soon as I get the GN running, Ill let you know :)

Hopefully today is the day I get my chip :biggrin:

We will see thou,
Craig

I hope I got this right.
Here is the extnsions and swivel I needed to get to the Bolt holding the hold down.
117427722.jpg

I also removed the up pipe and inlet tubes. I also had to move this clamp around so that I could get the ratchet in there.
117427750.jpg

Here is where I hope I got it right.
Look close, you are looking down on the Dampner. The White mark more close to you is the mark 1.4-1.5 from the TDC mark (its located lower on the dampner)
117427792.jpg

With the upper white mark set at 0, I used my volt gauge to set the Cam Sensor.
117427767.jpg

I atached the red prong and grounded the black prong. The reading was 6. I then rotated it around till it went to 0. I double checked it a few times and as soon as it went form 6 to 0, I locked it down.

I reattached everything and double checked connections. I then removed the positive wire from the battery.
117427855.jpg

I inspected my new TurboTweak Chip and was ready to install!!
117427802.jpg

I re-read the directions and "grounded" myself numerous times. :D Then I went ahead and installed the chip. IT FIT!! LOL!!
117427834.jpg

I hooked the battery back up, turned the key and the SES light came, and stayed on. WOHOO!! I didnt FUGG the prongs up!!

I decided to take a quick break, look everything over, again, and start the GN.
It cranked a few times(New mini Starter sounds cool) but didnt fire.

The Batery died. :mad:

SO its on the charger now, and Im just waiting. Hopefully I did the adjustment correct(if not hopefully someone sees this in the next few minutes and warns my dumb ass) and its off to try and start her once again.

With great expectations,
Craig

Sweet :D Now get her runnin' and after clean those inner fenders,paint the firewall and rad support and you'll be done!! Until you want to go faster.

BTW:I think your cam sensor install is correct,it's been years since I did one that way.

IT RUNS!!!!!!

I turned the key, Varrooommm!!!!! Great idle, no extra noises, and NO leaks(yet)
Hopefully I can dirve it tomorrow.

Thanks to everyones help in here. I couldnt have done it with out you guys. :biggrin:
Craig

sweeeet!
Hopefully you will let us know what she runs when you get it to the track!
BW

Hopefully I will. The DP isnt connected to the exhaust to well. The DP is a bigger diameter and the Hooker Test pipe is just shoved into it. Its not too loud. Hell, it didnt wake the Wife! ;)
I still would like to do some Test runs down the street. And I want to get it to the Lift to put on those HR Rear Control Arms...But that can wait. :)

Its alive again,
Craig