I bought a GREAT car, this sucks!

Ssvalleyboy

A couple of weeks ago i bought this TR. This thing was a one owner, all stock, everything original, and everything documented type of car. Well today i met with this older gentlemen to have him take a look at my car and kind of get some advice as to where to start moding first. Well this guy is very knowledgeable and has owned his 87-T since new. He's the type of guy who has been fooling with these cars so long that he has done some mods three times. You know how you mod something and end up coming back to it, well hes done it three times. Anyway this guy got to looking at my car and seeing and realizing all of the original pieces and partsthat are on my car and basically, he convinced me that doing anything besides restoring this thing back to stock would be an absolute crime. He assured me that it would still be quick and also a very beatiful car. Ever since i've been interesed in TR's i've always had aspirations of getting into the low 11's. This guy assured me that i could park my car in a pack of 10 & 11 second GN's and be the envy of all those guys. He simply put it "Everyone has one of those(pointing at his totally trick modded up TR), No one has one of these(pointing at my stock car). So basically i was looking into the TR's to get me into the 11's, and i end up stumbling across a complete diamond in the rough. A car rare enough that it would be much more appreciated in its original state than all butchered up. I extend the invitation to all true turbo buick enthusiast in the so-cal area to come look at my car and tell me anything different.

Yep, regretting modding mine more and more every day. Welcome to the "Stock" darkside

I bought my TR bone stock with 36k miles on it, trust me when i say this, you will never get into the 11's with all the stock parts, if you ever want to go there start modding, also if your car has over 100k miles on it dont even bother keeping it stock its not worth much by some peoples standards, some modding can be done to look almost completly stock or should i say you can put your car back to stock very easily.. start with getting a higher stall convertor, injectors, chip, dutcweiller neck, trannie cooler, build the trannie, get a scanmaster, alky injection, and dont forget the cold air induction system the stock airbox is very restrictive, and RCJ boost controller, that should be enough to get you into the high 11's.. and the car will still look bone stock

Why not mod it and save all the stock parts? It would not be hard to put the parts back on.

Unless it is extreme low mileage, Mod It! Higher mileage cars, especially TRs are of little value, might as well have fun with it.

Unless it is extreme low mileage, Mod It! Higher mileage cars, especially T Types, are of little value, might as well have fun with it.

A really rare T and rare condition= little value. Thats terrible. I'm still convinced that it will, if nothing else have some type of nostalgic or sentimental value, if only to a few turbo buick loyalists. I'm bringing this thing back to its original state, thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

Ssvalleyboy said:
A really rare T and rare condition= little value. Thats terrible. I'm still convinced that it will, if nothing else have some type of nostalgic or sentimental value, if only to a few turbo buick loyalists. I'm bringing this thing back to its original state, thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
------------------------------------
How many miles are on this thing?
What makes it so rare?
What makes the condition of this car rare?
None of my business, but have you considered buying a ultra low mileage garage queen that needs nothing rather than the expense that you are getting ready to go through. I am not saying that you should mod it. At least till you get up against a Neon or something and he leaves you back at the last light like last week's laundry..When are you bringing this thing to Donut Derelict's In Huntington Beach?

I've seen pics of the car. You're right it's a nice un-molested 1 owner car. Outside of that I would tell you that it's not especially rare and you should do what YOU want to do with it. I also agree with the fact that since it's not a low mileage car it's value won't be comprable to unrestored low mileage cars. Not trying to hurt your feelings but I've owned a bunch of these cars in various conditions.

Neal

Ssvalleyboy said:

I have somewhat of a rare T (leather, posi, column, 72Kmilesother little options I cant remember) anyways I modded it I have done everything I have except open the motor. Thats next. I have absolutley no regrets........as of yet. But I really like it modded, its more fun.

GNguy said:
I have somewhat of a rare T (leather, posi, column, 72Kmilesother little options I cant remember) anyways I modded it I have done everything I have except open the motor. Thats next. I have absolutley no regrets........as of yet. But I really like it modded, its more fun.
--------------------------------------
You forgot what makes that car so rare, other than the combination of options, Jeff. You forgot the chrome mirrors.

haha, oh yeah I forgot about those Gary. Dont see many of those. I wanted to come to the Westminster show but I had to retake a test that day. Next show around here I will definitley get to.

O.K. Mister Wells I know you are very reputable here on the forums so i'll bring my car to doughnut derilics on saturday(if your going let me know) and you can have a look at it and give me your honest opinon. I'm just getting into these things and i sure could use your opinon. Don't get me wrong i'm not out to try and baby this car, i really want to mod the hell out of this thing. But when i talked to that other gentleman he was basically surprised at the condition of my car and in his opinon i should leave it alone. I respect his opinon, but its not the bible. The jury is still out on this car so who knows what direction i'll go in. I just ask that you approach it with an open mind and not be swayed by this thread or me or anything like that. I'm not trying to be a jerk or a stickler or anything, i just want to do the right thing. You and any other buick guys input would be greatly appreciated. i should have started a thread requesting anyone with knowledge or expertice on these thing, in my area, to help me out with some guidance and direction.

Perris isn't that far from San Diego. Why don't you swing on down to my house and I'll give you an honest opinion.

Neal

Ssvalleyboy said:
i should have started a thread requesting anyone with knowledge or expertice on these thing, in my area, to help me out with some guidance and direction.

Neal i saw Brutal 6 run at fontana, that thing is awesome. Thanks for your reply. I guess i'll e-mail you direct and see if we could hook up. Your opinon would hold alot of weight.

Ssvalleyboy said:
O.K. Mister Wells I know you are very reputable here on the forums so i'll bring my car to doughnut derilics on saturday(if your going let me know) and you can have a look at it and give me your honest opinon. I'm just getting into these things and i sure could use your opinon. Don't get me wrong i'm not out to try and baby this car, i really want to mod the hell out of this thing. But when i talked to that other gentleman he was basically surprised at the condition of my car and in his opinon i should leave it alone. I respect his opinon, but its not the bible. The jury is still out on this car so who knows what direction i'll go in. I just ask that you approach it with an open mind and not be swayed by this thread or me or anything like that. I'm not trying to be a jerk or a stickler or anything, i just want to do the right thing. You and any other buick guys input would be greatly appreciated. i should have started a thread requesting anyone with knowledge or expertice on these thing, in my area, to help me out with some guidance and direction.
-----------------------------------------------------
I would be very happy to look at it, but, unfortunately, at my age and disposition, I am not exactly known for my openmindedness. Not intentional, just the way God plugged me in for senior citizen years. I have not been going as often as I used to, but let me know when you are going and I will make it a point to be there. If I was to try and keep a car original, I would definitely find a low mileage garage queen rather than attempt to restore an higher mileage one. It would be less expensive in the long run, by far. Your most knowledgeable and unbiased opinion will come from Morgan, Neal, and probably Mike Barnard. I am sure that as time goes on you will make the right decision for you, and only you can make that decision. When I read your opening post, I figured that you had gone out and priced what it really costs to get one of these cars in the 11's. I think that these cars will go into the elevens less expensive than most cars as long as a direct route is taken from people that have already learned the ropes like Neal and Morgan. My problem is fear of smog narcs, and having to take off/add equipment just prior to the smog test visit, and then hoping that it passes. With the help of Neal Steward, Morgan Hayden, Mike Barnard, Raymond Bunch, and the others that have gone before us I am getting a little braver as time goes on. One of these days, I will make it at least into the 16's maybe. Looking forward to seeing you and your car, let me know when.

Ssvalley,

I too go to Donut Derelicts quite a bit in case you want to hook up. If the weather holds out this Saturday Dec 3rd I plan on going to Fontana for the Street Legal Drags; the gates open at 7AM so I'll be there early in the morning.

Sounds like another early Sat morning at the Donut shop. See everybody there. I think that Rod, (ssvalleyboy) will be there, just don't know what time. I generally hit it about 6. See you there Morgan.