hydro boost brake swap questions

I didn't touch my proportioning valve when I installed my HB. Does this mean I have no rear braking?

I didn't touch my proportioning valve when I installed my HB. Does this mean I have no rear braking?
I never touched the proportioning valve on either one of my cars....no idea why steve thought it was necessary.....

Yea i will be buying new lines but.what do i.need to do as a tweek

You can avoid the removal of the AC compressor and and the "tweak" by using the pressure hose from a Dodge diesel, part # 80309 from ROCK AUTO... I originally bought both hoses for the 84 setup and later bought the dodge hose to see if there was an easier way to connect the pump to the hydroboost.. Have had no problems with the hose as it connects to the metal tube that wraps around the pump below the AC compressor. Should knock about an hour off of install time...

2012-07-10-19-14-05-jpg.165846

2012-07-10-19-14-47-jpg.165851

Does that hose exit towards the front?
I'd be afraid the belt would cause it harm. I didn't think the "tweak" on the stock 84 line was that big of a deal. Though other options are always good. Good find!

Does that hose exit towards the front?
I'd be afraid the belt would cause it harm. I didn't think the "tweak" on the stock 84 line was that big of a deal. Though other options are always good. Good find!

Its too far below the compressor to touch the belt. Plus I did zip tie it to some other hoses in the area to secure it.. Can't take pics right now cuz my car is being painted, but its worked well for me so far...

Lol... won't be a show quality paint job but it should look good... this is the third repaint for the car in the last 14 months. .. long story on that. New front fillers from gbody parts and a 1 piece rear filler from spoolfool productions.. I'm crossing my fingers. .

haywire4130 said:
Bingo, and down the road if you want to upgrade to the astrovan booster it's a half hour painless ordeal, i can talk you through it. If you can swing the extra 30 bucks, i'd grab a caddy master cylinder mentioned above, the crusty old cast iron one is a heavy eyesore hahaha. I'm gonna throw one on mine in a few weeks when i tear into my car.

Would love to see pics or a write up done on this. Right now all the writeups I have come across involve custom made or machining spacers. But if there is a way of putting the 84 bracket on a astrovan booster with not spacers I would like to try that method.

You can use the astro hydroboost so long as you have the correct bracket from the 84.. reason you need the bracket is to keep the correct angle to the brake pedal so the pedal push rod won't bind. No matter what, you will have to get a shorter rod that attaches to the bake Pedal since the Astor booster goes further into the passenger compartment than both the powermaster or the 84 hydroboost... if anyone is interested I can get the correct bracket and rod here near me for the conversion. .. after that you would need the hydroboost unit master and pressure lines.

I would probably be interested in the bracket and rod. I have an Astro unit here, just have to get motivated to install it in my other TR. Let me know the details. Thanks.

I would probably be interested in the bracket and rod. I have an Astro unit here, just have to get motivated to install it in my other TR. Let me know the details. Thanks.

Sure GNRick... I will see about getting the bracket and rod to you next week..

Okay guys... For anyone thats interested in the correct angled bracket and rod that allows you to use the Astrovan hydroboost here you go... I was able to pry 3 sets from the cold dead fingers of the shop where I got my conversion from... One is already spoken for from GNRick so there are 2 left... I will give those on this thread priority on the last two.. please pm me if interested... I will post pics in an hour or so... They were a bit more than I anticipated so the price on them is $60 shipped to you... I'm not making any money on these just getting back some gas money and helping out those who might want to go this route...

Okay guys... For anyone thats interested in the correct angled bracket and rod that allows you to use the Astrovan hydroboost here you go... I was able to pry 3 sets from the cold dead fingers of the shop where I got my conversion from... One is already spoken for from GNRick so there are 2 left... I will give those on this thread priority on the last two.. please pm me if interested... I will post pics in an hour or so... They were a bit more than I anticipated so the price on them is $60 shipped to you... I'm not making any money on these just getting back some gas money and helping out those who might want to go this route...

I'll take a set, PM sent. Thanks

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD . SORRY TO BUTT IN BUT I HAVE HB ON MY 1984 GN . IT HAS BEEN LEAKING DOWN THE FIREWALL AND THE BOOT INSIDE IS FULL OF FLUID . CAN THESE UNITS BE REBUILT ?

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD . SORRY TO BUTT IN BUT I HAVE HB ON MY 1984 GN . IT HAS BEEN LEAKING DOWN THE FIREWALL AND THE BOOT INSIDE IS FULL OF FLUID . CAN THESE UNITS BE REBUILT ?

I know rock auto has a rebuild service on them... Try CARDONE too... Go on their website and check it out.. Another place to try is anywhere that master cylinders and power steering components get rebuilt... Or you could upgrade to the Astrovan hydroboost since you already have the correct bracket in your car...

BUICKGN84 said:

There is also a place that sells a kit for a diy rebuild but I have that link on my home computer and I'm out of town until Fri . I'll see If I can remember to post it when I get back.

Those brackets n rods there, are they custom or parts off of something. I can't tell as I am on my phone. Tia