hydro boost brake swap questions

dagojoe

Ok guys here we go i had hydro boost on my gn and loved it. I bought.the car with the swap already done. I really would like to.do the swap on my 86 wh1 it currently has vaccume brakes...now i know ill need o swap the peddle out as well...what vehicles could i search at my local pull a part for a direct bolt on...and i also found some pt # on this site for the parts but i was hoping to find it all at the junk yard...so what vehicles can i look for to do this swap even if its.just to get the.pedal and any links for the install on how to run the hoses...i forgot...any help.is.greatly appreciated

I believe it was an Astro Van from the mid 90's. Just do a search in brakes thread. You don't have to swap the pedal. I bought mine from Hydrotech but it was about $500. The threads that give part numbers for the hoses is for replacing the 1984 unit. What you can do is go to your local hydraulics shop and get a couple hoses that just push into the fittings. Then cut the hoses to fit and have them press the fittings onto the hose. You will also need a "T" connector which they can make for you by welding a couple pieces of tubing together. You might also need an adaptor plate to bolt the new HB unit to the firewall.

The hydro boost from the mid 80's G-body diesels,is a good choice.It uses the same pedal as the powermaster,and is close to a bolt in swap.

I have a HB on my 55. Got it from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30067049256...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr
Elliott custom makes the systems. He said he could do 1 for most any car w/ the correct dimensions. The price was right. I had the hoses made up at NAPA..
I'd suspect that since a Regal was already available w/ HB, he could whip 1 up, in no time.
I have 1 for the "clapper"/LS project. It's off a Regal, and has a stock, [PM], adapter mount for the firewall.

The hoses from an 84 work fine with the astrovan hb. I highly recommend the astro unit because it has an accumulator. Mine was a bolt in with no spacers because i converted from a leaky 84 unit to astro and just swapped the rod and bracket over. I took pics and plan on doing a write-up someday when i get time- oem pedals from powermaster cars are plentful and cheap, check some of the guys in the classifieds that do part-outs

Ok guys here we go i had hydro boost on my gn and loved it. I bought.the car with the swap already done. I really would like to.do the swap on my 86 wh1 it currently has vaccume brakes...now i know ill need o swap the peddle out as well...what vehicles could i search at my local pull a part for a direct bolt on...and i also found some pt # on this site for the parts but i was hoping to find it all at the junk yard...so what vehicles can i look for to do this swap even if its.just to get the.pedal and any links for the install on how to run the hoses...i forgot...any help.is.greatly appreciated

For the Brake pedal you should contact either "intercooled88ss" or "ttaowner" on this board. Just ask them for the powermaster brake pedal off any 86 or 87 turbo car. If you have the money to spend on a hydratrech unit and custom lines then you can opt to use that setup but I think you are looking at $700+ if i'm not mistaken. Your biggest problem is going to be the bracket that holds the actual hydroboost unit as its different than the bracket that holds the powermaster. The hoses that you need for the hydroboost are no more than $40 brand new from places like rockauto. The unit you are looking for should be off a mid to late 90's Astro van as this unit will have the accumulator for added safety.

Some reading for you plus pics...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...stion-universal-push-rod.379750/#post-3050287

This is what ive always loved about this site...every 1 is willing to help..i thank every1 of you for your insite..it is greatly appreciated.. after giving some more.thought i really.dont have the time for all the hunting parts..my wh1 currently has a vaccume set up on it i really want.to go with hydro boost..but i would like to find a complete set up...with everything needed peddle..bracket..hoses..everything...needed so all i have to do is take mine off and install the hydro boost set up...if anyone has a complete set up.let me.know

This is what ive always loved about this site...every 1 is willing to help..i thank every1 of you for your insite..it is greatly appreciated.. after giving some more.thought i really.dont have the time for all the hunting parts..my wh1 currently has a vaccume set up on it i really want.to go with hydro boost..but i would like to find a complete set up...with everything needed peddle..bracket..hoses..everything...needed so all i have to do is take mine off and install the hydro boost set up...if anyone has a complete set up.let me.know

Only problem is: anybody running this setup wont want to part with it! Hahaha- pm "intercooled88s" like mentioned above, thats where i got my stuff from. Easiest way is to get a pedal and booster used from a 84, new lines from an 84 and a reman booster from an astrovan. I can talk you through swapping over the rod and bracket, then its a simple bolt on affair. Prob cost you about 250 out the door for everything. The 84 booster can be leaky or whatever, you just need the rod and bracket off it. You def want to go with new lines, theyre cheap!

Only problem is: anybody running this setup wont want to part with it! Hahaha- pm "intercooled88s" like mentioned above, thats where i got my stuff from. Easiest way is to get a pedal and booster used from a 84, new lines from an 84 and a reman booster from an astrovan. I can talk you through swapping over the rod and bracket, then its a simple bolt on affair. Prob cost you about 250 out the door for everything. The 84 booster can be leaky or whatever, you just need the rod and bracket off it. You def want to go with new lines, theyre cheap!

Agreed about people not wanting to part with the setup... From the research I did, the powermaster brake pedal is the same as the 84 pedal and should be more readily available... As for the bracket, I know the guys where I bought my setup have the correct brackets and pedal push rod for the swap and then all thats needed is the hydroboost, master and new pressure lines.. I wouldn't go with used lines either since they are so cheap new..

Powermaster pedal is the same as 84, the parts guys know this when he goes to order, i was just trying to simplify as much as possible. As for the bracket and rod, i like using the factory parts from the 84 hydroboost, no spacers, no fab work, no hokey threaded adjuster, etc. the whole 84 booster can be had for about the same price as the custom pieces, and everything but the lines and astro booster could come from one source. Plenty of ways to achieve the same result though.

I didnt mention the master in my list, i'm running the ugly cast iron boat anchor that came with my 84 setup. His master from the vacuum setup will work with the astrovan booster

Only problem is: anybody running this setup wont want to part with it! Hahaha- You def want to go with new lines, theyre cheap!
I got my stuff from rockauto.com I ordered a mc for a cadillac as I didnt like the look of the big iron unit that came on the '84

link to our local page with my write up, part numbers and such for what I used.
http://www.lspbcforums.net/lspbc.yaf/yaf_postst544_86ing-the-powermaster-for-a-HydroBoost.aspx

Love what it did for my brakes.

The other reason i like my method is that most of the hydroboosts i've come across on late model gm's use an identical looking hydroboost unit, only differences being the bracket and the length of rod/diameter of pin hole. If you start with the 84 rod and bracket it would allow you to more easily find a good used booster at the bone yard, not just be confined to the astro unit. I am planning a write-up with pictures once i confirm. At my work we have a fleet of 98+ suburbans, tahoes and pickups, so as we replace leaky units i always investigate possible interchanges. More to come-

Thanks haywire....i called that guy with the 85 that has the hb system he is going to sell me everything..the complete unit peddle bracket and lines..so this should be a direct swap rite???

Thanks haywire....i called that guy with the 85 that has the hb system he is going to sell me everything..the complete unit peddle bracket and lines..so this should be a direct swap rite???
if its the stock HB setup, it will be a direct bolt-in....aside from the necessary "tweak" of the pump-to-booster pressure line....(I hope you're buying the new pressure/return lines)

this may help if you are doing the OEM 84 HB install....

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/powermaster-to-hydroboost-conversion.307690/

Bingo, and down the road if you want to upgrade to the astrovan booster it's a half hour painless ordeal, i can talk you through it. If you can swing the extra 30 bucks, i'd grab a caddy master cylinder mentioned above, the crusty old cast iron one is a heavy eyesore hahaha. I'm gonna throw one on mine in a few weeks when i tear into my car.