Huge lack of power

ringman

Ok...car ran 11.9@114 in 2008, slowly since then its gotten slower and slower. Since then I've added Cpt62ball bearing turbo, fmic, 3.5" dp, 60lb injectors, trans with transbrake, alcohol injection. Car runs and drives great, under wot its smooth, no popping or issues. O2 volts in 3rd gear were 772, 0 degrees of knock and 20psi of boost...car ran 13.0@99!...where's the power?..I obviously hVe some major issue since my mph is basically slightly better than stock. Conpression test...1-125, 2-135, 3-130, 4-146, 5-135, 6-140...are these acceptable? ..car does have some lag, i installed t and a replacement headers this past winter, I even turned off alcohol and changed chips with race gas..no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Stock cam and motor eternals, valve springs I installed them 5 years ago, sadly I forget the brand or details but I got them from Cottons performance, probably 5000 miles on them

Car has 64k miles, stock original motor, timing chain etc

You may be experiencing weak valve spring issues? I am sure one of the more experienced members will comment on this soon.

What turbo when it ran a 11.9 @ 114? And what was your 1/8 mph?

Current setup 1/8 and 1/4 mph?

Stock cam and motor eternals, valve springs I installed them 5 years ago, sadly I forget the brand or details but I got them from Cottons performance, probably 5000 miles on them

Sorry I missed this post on the springs, just looked at 64k stock post.
How are you launching the car with the lag issue? Building good boost at the line?

Yeh...not huge lag, just should be better with that turbo and a 3500 stall converter in my opinion...was launching at 10psi on slicks....

Car ran 12.05@113 on stock turbo, then I got a 64 turbo cheap and despite it being way to big it ran 11.937@114 mph

Unfortunately I don't have my slips here, but 1/8 used to be 87 mph...now I believe it was 75?...

I wouldn't trust the timing chain personally. I could be way off base here, but before I got my timing chain done, I experienced a HUGE lack of power. I don't have any numbers to prove the lack of power, but i noticed it for a while, and one day my timing chain decided to jump a few teeth on start-up. Got it replaced, and my car drove like never before. Again, im just sharing what happened to me, and it might be something to think about. Back under my rock. Good luck

Check your valve train. I had a cam that the lobes were worn down but not completely wiped and it caused the same thing your talking about (full disclosure it wasn't a GN but it was turbo)

Sorry went on vacation and had no internet......When the car went 11.93 it went 89mph in the 1/8th.....now it runs 81.3mph in the 1/8th and 99 mph in the quarter. Someone mentioned a possible converter slipping? Its an Art Carr 3500 non lockup 9" i bought 11 years ago, think thats possible? Another question, I may just upgrade and do a full roller cam setup this winter, what kind of gains could be expected if my car were running right? Thanks again for any help

How old and how many miles on the converter?

I was running an Art Carr 9" 3000 stall for the longest time.....car ran pretty good with it...but i noticed between seasons the car was missing something. I never thought to look at the converter it had little mileage on it but it was 6-8 years old. I started looking into it and checking stall speed and where it flashed and found a problem....I pulled it and put in a PTC....no problems since the car runs better than it ever has and spools fast.

Not saying it is your converter but its something to look at....mine went bad but it snuck up on me there was never a major incident that made me look there the car felt goot it just slowed down.

hope that helped....good luck

Converter is 10 years old, probably 10k miles to 20k. Car has gradually lost mph since 2008...from 114 to 110 to 104 and now 99?

Time for some data logs, leak down test, valve spring replacement.
Fuel psi is?
Reading the plugs?
Use the data log to calculate converter slip.

Fuel psi is 42 with vacuum line off, O2volts is 769 range in 3rd gear. I run a TurboTweak chip, stock original maf, definitely time for upgrades in the tuning with data loggers etc

check the stall speed of the converter and where it flashes at....I would do that and rule out the converter before you go further.

You can check your stall speed at zero psi and also if you have a data logger just do a small launch and go back and review the file....you will see what rpm the converter flashes at....if not at 3500 or close to it like it should be you may have a problem there.

As I mentioned I chased the same problem with mine for a while before I even thought of it being my converter....trying to save you some time :cool:

I do not have a data logger...this is a dumb question but what do you mean see when it flashes?...ill try it out this weekend, just not sure what u mean. By the way i appreciate the help

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app