How Fast On A True Hot Air?

I don't understand why more Hot Air aren't 4.1's. Sure they aren't as strong as a 3.8, but when does that really become a problem? In the 9's or 10's? Much faster than almost everybody here, so it's really a non-issue.

First rebuild will be a 4.1 for me. I can use the cubes :)

Yes it is stage moter. stock iron heads and the stock intake I ported 10 years ago. Yes, he does now shoot alky to it. and it works great..............and to Boost231........are you always so quick with the smartass remarks when someone has worked hard to reach a goal? He built this car in his garage with alot of homemade parts and you say that all he did was throw money at it and will run......you have got alot to learn

to b4black.......you make a good point about the headers. I hear of alot of people wanting a complete set of 84/85 manifolds when all you need is the right side...the other pieces are easy to find. The bad part about the stock right side is the way GM brings the crossover into the right side header bank. That is the reason GM changed that side in 86 and everything else stayed the same

Apparently Boost231 has never looked closely at Leo's car. If he has, he should have seen the handiwork and countless hours spent underneath the hood of that car. That's why it runs like it does. Remember the Popular Hot Rodding feature article on the car about 3 years ago? The title simply read "DETERMINATION" Just about every piece on that car he has either made himself or had someone else make because of availability. Sure he's thrown some money at it over the last few years, but it takes more than money to make a hotair run. I know, i've been there. Give respect where it's due Boost231....He's done more for these hotairs than anyone else...

We all (HOT AIR Community) owe Leeo and BigDaddy credit. Not many people have R&D Hot Air like the Thompsons have:cool: . Back in 1984, HOT ROD and Ken Duttweiler ran a H Stock GN that ran 12.65 with all stock parts:confused: . The only exhaust change was the downpipe (2 1/2). Ken ran as much as 30 psi of boost. He also developed his famous Crane 260 cam in this HOT AIR car. Now lets think:confused: , Duttweiler runs 12.65 in 1984 with a 1984 GN :D , the best the Corvette could run has low 15's (1984 CrossFire injection). Now this has given Duttweiler a major headstart on the Buick Crowd in 1986. This is also where Duttweiler leaves the HOT AIR Community :mad:. Along comes the Thompsons and even, the Gallina's (with help from our ole friend, Mr. Duttweiler). Leeo and Dwayne have always stress getting the car to run right first! Tuning is very critical. The Thompsons had to develop parts that frankly, did not exist (headers, downpipes, adapters for the turbo, etc). If you totaled up the amount of time it went into making that first 10 sec pass, Leeo and Dwayne would probably be (RICH, FIFTHY RICH) wading in the cool blue (almost the color of their T Type) waters of the Islands (VI, PR, Bermuda, St. Croix, etc). I meet a good friend of theirs, Scott Porter, whom had a white (Caster the Ghost) T-Type that ran unlike a 85 T Type should :cool:. This car had the Thompson TOUCH :D only with a Spearco Intercooler. You colud only imagine the locals getting their AZZ's handed to them from a 85 TType. LEEO / BIGDADDY, keep up the GREAT WORK :cool: and I know sooner or later , you guy's will be handed a 9 second time slip.............

Chuck MCCray:cool:

just a side note............

Scott porter's car was not Casper white............it was Maytag white........it may tag the wall..it may not

I think that Marka Gallina is still running their hotair TR in the NHRA...And Duttweiler is still doing their hotair motor for it as well...Along with the TTA and John's TT Stage motor'd GN...

Originally posted by FJM568
I think that Marka Gallina is still running their hotair TR in the NHRA...And Duttweiler is still doing their hotair motor for it as well...Along with the TTA and John's TT Stage motor'd GN...

Last I heard, Nick Micale was crewing on that car. I sent him my last good stock turbo a while back because theirs was broke and they needed to make a race. Not that they actually run a totally stock turbo.

Actually Marka is running a turbo TA now instead of the hot air. She just started running this vehicle this year. I keep up on their web site.

Re: hey

Originally posted by Boost231
it has alot to do with tunning thats why im going to put a EPEC on my car so i have endless was to fine tune my TR.

so you're going to change all your sh!t over to ford parts?cuz everybody that i know with an epec has a ford:confused:
http://www.vanirtech.com/whatisepec.htm

Originally posted by Boost231 i hope to run 11's on a stock rotating assembley once i get the car painted and get the EPEC so bigdaddy before u make martass coments about people u better under stand what there saying.

uh,have you read any of your own posts?:confused: "english motherfvcker,do you speak it!!!???"

i'm sure that paint and the ford computer will get you right into the 11's:rolleyes: i thought you were gonna be running 11's this year?:confused:

Re: hey

Originally posted by Boost231
to all of you that think im making smartass remarks im not. ......im not trying to start anything here but you shouldnt be bashing people. especially other TR owners

Holy crap, Batman. :eek:

Go back and read your post. You took a VERY cheap shot at Lee. You implied all he has done is throw money at the car to make it fast and that if you had the money, you'd go faster. Let me help you, here's what you said:
anyone with the right about of $$$ can go tens. if u give me 20,000 i bet u i can have my TRUE HOT AIR in the 9's.

Digdaddy's remarks were appropriate and well said. And now you are trying to turn this on him and say he shouldn't bash other TR people. :rolleyes: I wouldn't have been so polite. I would have called you a ****head.

Yea i was gonna post a reply last night, if I had I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep...You guys beat me to it this morning...I just don't understand why someone would bite the same hand that they might have to eat out of one day....I'm not gonna start bashing people, but his comments in his first posts struck me wrong..

Come on guys...lets not let a very good; informative thread go to waste with arguing...

Please get back on the subject of "Hot-Air" and stop worrying about who said what, or who is right......We are all here for the same reason...and that reason is not to bicker.

Thank You

ok so im lazy

didnt read this whole thread

i dont knwo why you guys cant run a 13...

was not that hard

here let me list what it took to get a 13.6 out of my car:
1. K&N filter on the end of a 3" PVC cold air kit
2. electric fan off a fiero
3. 87 ECM and JC 93 chip for 84 MAF with low (17-18) timing
4. ATR UP pipe
5. stock downpipe seperated with a nut (about 1 cm gap) from factory gutted cat connected to 2.25" non mandrel exhaust with no mufflers
6. fuel pump and hotwire kit
7. mark martone adjustable fp reg
8. crappy pep boys plug wires that made the car misfire
9. ac delco cr42ts plugs
10. coolant bypass
11. 235/60 bfg radial ta
12. tranny rebuild by phoenix with a "2600" stall

all of this lead to a 13.6@98 i think with a 1.911 60ft(im proud of that hehe) at noble

i think boost was at 17psi

pretty much i have th basic mods all tr owners have (cold air, fuel system, tb bypass), some replacement parts cause factory parts died (atr up pipe, new plugs and wires, tranny rebuild), and a lil bit wider tires, colder plugs than most use, a chip and a "2600" stall.

so whats yalls problem doing the same i dont understand? i got less than $4000 into this car (including the car) and it wasn tthat hard. i was stuck at 14.0s for a bout a month (i was at ennis running 14.0@ like 94 with a 1.919 60) and then i changed the fuel pressure a little bit (think i was getting knock on the top end)

seems a lil magical that i dropped 4 tenths and gained 4mph just from tuning but

oh ****, that is what tuning does.. right?

yall really need to just get your cars running good before you throw on parts thats the golden rule.. a car that runs like crap will run like crap no matter how much you bolt onto it...

example: car started to run like crap an so i put the downpipe on.. wow it ran like crap even though it spooled alot better

hmm pointless there

finally found out.. plugwires were bad , changed them WOW new car.

oh ya car got stolen right after that too bad they didnt steal it with crappy plug wires they would have ditched it within 5 minutes.. when you got on the gas the engine torqued over and the plugwire groudned against the DP, the car would nose over and chug, and the second you touched the gas again, all of the gas built up in the cylinder and ignited somehow in the downpipe and it soudned like a shotgun under the floorboards and it threw huge fireballs...

so here... whole post summed up...

if car runs like ass fix it before you put on parts.. you should be able to run a 13.9 with minimal effort (up pipe chip cold air electric fan) or something is wrong with your car. im sorry, you can make excuses but that is how it is.

the only thing diff with my car now is an ATR downpipe. im going to get some slicks and see if i can run a 12.999. i think its possible, but after tuning tuning tuning if its not i will go buy an 87 turbo ($100 for an extra 170cfm)

oh yea propane kit .. good idea too put that on a stock car and run 25psi.. stir it up a little.

Hey Nick, I'm with ya on *just about* everything that you said except the 87 turbo being 170cfm bigger...It's only about 90cfm bigger...390cfm vs 480cfm...

Other than that, you were right on the money...Hell, I ran a 14.0 @ 97 with a 2.08 60' with only the 87 ecm swap, electric fan, JayC low timing street chip, and the MM MAF Xlator and Imp SS MAF(and the only reason I spent the money on the MAF and Xlator was that I had already went through 2 reman'd 87 MAF's from O'Reilly's and got 2 crappy ones)...Still had the stock DP and uppipe on the car...

480? :( everyone always told me it flowed 560cfm..

doh i guess i wont spend $100 for that then.

see.. your car ran better than mine.. 3mph more before tuning

i do believe mine leaned out a little on the top end so maybe the mph got pulled as timing was pulled too

but in any case..

im goin to the track soon. :-D

Im jealous! Great to hear that though guys, it just goes to show how important tuning is.
Look at my mods. My best yet is 14.2@96! As soon as I get a handle on the tuning thing I plan on cutting that down.....about a second :D :rolleyes:
I hope to get that 13 second timeslip this week. Its been so difficult to tune when the track is so packed that you only get 2 runs! Last week I ran 14.2@94 with 20+* of Retard on the top end according to Tlink (this was my first time with Tlink). So if I can get rid of that "lack of timing" (JL chip only has 20*!) I guess I can find my missing mph. Surprised I went that fast with 0 timing.
Any more suggestions/comments for us underachievers out here? Keep em coming.