Hit 700 HP on the dyno

Larry

Ahhh - no I lied- just 693 at the wheels. Its been along time and I have had my problems - primarilly not enough time with the car - let alone in the seat. Like alot of us -Not enough time in the day.
Waiting for the T/A motor- I did not get the car running until last year. I had it out three times - inc Salem's BPG outing of 05'. Had a number of problems. I wasn't surprised because I had changed the motor,boost controler, trans,Turbo,drive shaft, suspension, rear axles, brake drums - axles and fuel sys!
This year I had it out twice - the last being Salems BPG event Aug. 06' . It was running better and I thought I had the major bugs out WRONG! Fast Program kept adding fuel-deceided it had to be a bad fuel pump - Weldon 2015. I called their tech from the track - JIm Craig. I did not realize there facility was a hour away. He said - "Get that pump out and get it up here". We did just that. Jim was waiting for us at the door. We were ushered back to their test facility. They found loose brushes- tested the pump & gave us a print out indicating the pump was good for 900 HP. We thought we had it made. They were VERY and gave us Weldon Shirts & hats and off we went, back to the track. Reinstalled the pump & fuel - turned the key - NOTHING!
A further search found a loose ground wire at the pump relay - thought we had it - car still missed and kicked down the track. A further search found a bad connector at the power lead back to the fuel pump. Thought we had it - nope, car still kicked and missed..... OK- Im done - I spot Dave Fiscus in the pitts. He has an alum. T/A block like mine - maybe he has an idea..He does - he refered me to Otto Pernek- never met the guy, but Dave says he may be able to help. He steps over to my car - 1st thing he says - "I'm not getting in their - the cars to nice. Get the computer out to the door where I can see it". Hey, I like this guy already! He ask about my balancer and finds its off by 2 degrees and makes a few program changes. He says - "go down the track and come back and see him". Yep- the car still misses and kicks. I pull into pitts and I see otto crawling out from under some elses car. He's on his back and says - " You need a coil Pack" Im like - but - you did not see the car run! He says - "I HEARD it go down the track" Sure enough - # 6 was weak. He also suggested a hotter plug, which was not available at the track.
OK- the weekend is over anyway and I pack it in. Otto says if you like - I could bring the car up to Milford Conn.the next weekend where as he has rented the Dyno at the PRUVEN PERFORMANCE shop. He has a few Mustangs to set up. I deceided to go. The Mustangs went in 1st - pulling 350 - almost 500 HP. Now its my turn - I start the car and as Im backing up unto the Dyno - Otto sticks his head in my window and says " shut it off - there is a problem " Snake Bit" now what? He's under the car and pops up - " your flywheel is loose" Im like - can I get a break here somewhere? I just drove nine hours and we talking pulling the trans already? It won't be easy - I have a mid plate and its a close fit - I know,I put it in. He says he can R&I it in "1" hour - Im not used to having someone else wrench on my car, -but I said knock yourself out. One hour later - done and Im Impressed.
Ok- were up on the Dyno- and the Mustang guys hung around to take notes. !st pull - 514 HP at the wheels. Otto's in the passenger seat working his majic with my FAST SYS. We let the car cool somewhat in between pulls..We're experimenting with different timing, boost - exhaust open & closed. Looking to see where the motor wants to run best. The car hit 693 HP and 141 MPH. The T/A motor and heads wanted more - the 74 turbo, 83 # injectors and 3" down pipe could not develope any higher boose than 25 1/2 #'s at 6,600 RPM. With a larger Turbo, Injectors and downpipe - I would think we would hit 800 HP. I still have an oil burning issue. We believe its at the turbo.I put a restrictor in the feed line and was sure the drain back line drains properly. I am hopeful that will clear it up.
The Mustang guys enjoyed the show and all was good.
I had alot of issues to work out and I had alot of help over the of years. I gotta thank- Steve Hughes- Ohio,Jack Cotton-MAss, Jerry Thompson- NY,Dave Fiscus-Ohio, Frank Parvin-Ohio, MikeTomazewski at T/A, Pat Demarie - Ohio and Especially Otto Pernek for his interest, effort and ability to bring it all together. I don't get the car out much- but Ive enjoyed the comradry each and every time. Next stop - the local 1/4 mile track. Larry

Attachments

• dyno1.JPG
    dyno1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 451
  • car show1.JPG
    car show1.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 456
  • engine at salem 05.JPG
    engine at salem 05.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 435
Sounds like you've got a beast on your hands. I'll settle for 300hp and driving my car more than twice a year. ;)

Best of luck with it.

sounds like overkill to me lol I WANT A RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have fun with her and be carefull Daniel :biggrin:

Larry,

Glad you made some good power. Otto is my tuner & a good friend. Glad he got you running good & hope you put down some good #'s @ the track.

Jim

Sweet congrats that is wicked
..do like Kenne Bell and add Redline lubricants and get over 700 hp..LOL

Awesome #'s

Congrats Larry, know it has been a long time coming for you... Car looks very nice as well :cool:

Sounds nice! What octane were you running for those pulls? Also how much does your car weigh? Just wondering, since I'm at a similar power level but pretty heavy. Good luck with it!

turbosam6 said:
Sounds nice! What octane were you running for those pulls? Also how much does your car weigh? Just wondering, since I'm at a similar power level but pretty heavy. Good luck with it!
C-16 and 3450 w/me in it. Thanks Larry

Larry,

I am glad things are looking up.
Have some fun with it, then throw a 76-88MM wheel on it.

John Wilde said:
Larry,

I am glad things are looking up.
Have some fun with it, then throw a 76-88MM wheel on it.
Yeah, took a few steps forward - then tonight I thought Id be a bright guy and do some preventive maintenance on the cam sensor - install RJC's "cam sensor repair kit " Well, as I was trying to remove the small phillips screw that holds the washer with the tang in place - the screw snapped off. I just walked out of the garage..Any suggestions there - don't hesitate to pass them along..Larry PS: I hear you on the larger Turbo- maybe over this winter. I have to see how it goes on the track this fall. Thanks for the note. Larry