Have a line on a Stage II Indy car motor Have questions

thunderace31

Banned
Ok here is the deal I can get a killer deal on a BRAND NEW only run on the dyno and thats it Stage II Indy car eng.

Now my questions

What do I need to run this in my T-type??

I want it turbo charged and Fuel Inj. It has a carb on it right now :(

It made 525 HP the way it sets. Has custom Stage II Heads and I dont know about headers fitting or any of that.

Just thinking about buying and doing what I need to to put it in.

I was told its cost $40,000 to build :) and let tell you I can get it for way way less :D

Thanks for the info guys

i hate you.....but you will probably want to go with a FAST or XFI for fuel management and you can probably get an FI intake on the boards here.

thunderace31 said:
Ok here is the deal I can get a killer deal on a BRAND NEW only run on the dyno and thats it Stage II Indy car eng.

Now my questions

It made 525 HP the way it sets. Has custom Stage II Heads and I dont know about headers fitting or any of that.

I was told its cost $40,000 to build :) and let tell you I can get it for way way less :D

Thanks for the info guys

You have a lot of work and expense ahead of you if you're going to convert this engine to turbo. You'll need to take it apart and change the pistons for sure to lower the compression, headers, intake conversion, fuel system and on and on. Good luck ! ;)

On the bright side, you'll love the power. I would suggest that you contact an experienced Stage 2 engine builder to help you through this. :)

George

how good is a killer deal. do they know what stroke the crank is and what kind of rods it has.you don't want to pay a lot and still have to bye parts that you didn't think you would need.also is it a 4.1 or a 3.8. try to get the casting # off the block.

Based on what you've stated it doesn't sound like an ex-Indy engine at all. Indy V6 engines were injected and turboed. It sounds more like an ex-Busch GN motor based on the fact that it has a carb and makes approx 525 H.P. Typically ex-Busch GN, ASA or ARCA motors sell for around $5k complete. What kind of deal were you offered?

Neal

thunderace31 said:

Now my questions

Thanks for the info guys

The engine is a 4.5 liter was built to run in the Cart Indy car races.

I was told Compretion for the class was 9.5-9.8 to 1

I know the cam has to be change and the a/c will go on the shelf lol.

I will just say they want $7000 for the complete eng. Distributor to oil pan its also set up as a Dry sump from what I can tell. It has a cranck triger set up on it.

The eng. has been setting in a crate for about 8-10 years but he pulled it down and it turns over fine we also looked in the eng with a scope deal and its all good. (Long thing with a light and a camara on the end very cool tool!)

Now all I can tell you is the guy that has this eng. is a pro Off shore race eng. builder in Mi. He knows his **** and worked for ASC Mclaren when they were working on the GNX's

I need just want to know what I am getting into before I buy this as its a lot of $$ for me :(

like neal said, it dont sound like a indy, engine to me, the indy engines that i have and have bought and sold all were 208 cubic inches, and were odd fire, i have a complete running offcenter engine with a connley sheet metal intake with 83lb inj, flex plate, balancer, starter, atr headers, it only has 12 runs on it, and im selling it for less than 7000 bucks, good luck, oc,

odell4o8 said:
like neal said, it dont sound like a indy, engine to me, the indy engines that i have and have bought and sold all were 208 cubic inches, and were odd fire, i have a complete running offcenter engine with a connley sheet metal intake with 83lb inj, flex plate, balancer, starter, atr headers, it only has 12 runs on it, and im selling it for less than 7000 bucks, good luck, oc,

Well thats why I am asking questions I have no clue on these eng's. I dont know what there worth or anything.

It is a 4.5 liter I will get the #'s off the block and post them when I get them maybe we can find out more on it that way.

All I know is the way it sets it looks mean as hell!

odell4o8 said:

Thanks for the info Ill keep in mind Still want to find out more on this one thats not far way.

If I can find out what the thing is really worth or what class it maybe used in maybe I can buy it and resale it :D

I know its fresh and just need to get more info.

They guy that has it and built it, owns sterling performance engines they do 1000 or more HP 50,000$ - $100,000 Race motors for big time off shore race boats like Drambui on Ice and the like :)

thunderace31 said:
Well thats why I am asking questions I have no clue on these eng's. I dont know what there worth or anything.

It is a 4.5 liter I will get the #'s off the block and post them when I get them maybe we can find out more on it that way.

All I know is the way it sets it looks mean as hell!

take some pics also i you can. ;)

Mike Licht said:
Odell, what heads are on that motor? That sounds like a decent buy to me
Mike
mike, the heads are m&a, they have nice ports and i have the flo chart for them, my friend postal in Ill, is wanting the engine he is coming to look at it in a few days, thanks oc,

OC, that is a good deal. Let me know if you don't sell it I have guys calling me looking for motors all the time
MIke

49-blues said:
Also get the deck height of the block.

If it is a 4.5L as he stated, then it pretty much has to be a tall deck block.

An Indy motor would make much more power than that - does it have a carb or fuel injection? The indy car I am familar with and as far as I know they are all methanol fueled, FI, Turbo, Dry sump, etc.

It is probably a Busch or maybe an Indy lights or even a Buick road-race motor. Buick was pretty active in racing in the '80s.

There are parts to make the Stage II into a turbo engine, but they are hard to find, and $$$. Since the heads are different on Stage II, the intake and the exhaust headers will both be custom. But the engine would bolt in in place of the stock 3.8, and fuel system, ignition, etc, could be adapted from the stock. The extra inches will let you get away with lower boost, for more power at any octane level- you choose. It's a good deal if you want it- but there are lots of other ways to go, so it's pretty much up to you to decide if you like the "challenge".

pwr.slave6 said:
Thunderace31,

Is that Brian Thompson who has this motor?

Just curious.

Nope someone else I know used to work for ASC when they did the GNX he also owns a company that dose Off Shore race motors now. There 50,000 to 150,000 each want one lol