Guys, I need an argument settled on the colors of GN's

Kyle F

Addicted to Boost
As it states... what all colors could you get a GN in... I say only Black.... my friend states otherwise!

GN's weren't only black

82- 2 tone silver and black

84-87 black only

If you bet your friend, you will need to pay up! :(

Search on the net for 82 GN and you'll see it.

Maybe your friend is confused and is thinking of the T Types or Limiteds. Those were available in other colors.

You could get an 84-87 Grand National in any color you wanted as long as it was black.

Turbo Ts, T-Types and Turbo Limiteds could be ordered in standard Buick colors. Limiteds could be ordered with a factory pin stripe as a $50 option.

I guess I should have been more specific... we were talking about 85-87's..Intercooled ones. He had abuddy that has a Maroon GN.

I told him it was just badged, but he didnt believe me so I just wanted him to see the replys back.

Thanks

was there an additional charge in 86 for black paint on a non-GN TR?

I thought I recall reading something about that on the options list either at the dealer or from United Buying Service.

I told him it was just badged, but he didnt believe me so I just wanted him to see the replys back.

Or repainted.

was there an additional charge in 86 for black paint on a non-GN TR?

Nope, here is the way it went in 1986... (from memory - when I bought mine new 20 years ago) You could get a T-Type in any of the colors that GM offered. There was an additional charge for certain "non-standard" colors. The GN was a cosmetic package added to the T-Type package. It consisted of wheels, spoiler, special interior and, of course black paint and special badging. If I remember correctly, the cost of this package was around $700. The T-Type package (in 1986) consisted of the LC2 engine, heavier suspension, quicker ratio steering, wheels, tires, rear end gearing, dual exhaust, 4 speed automatic transmission with O/D, black out trim, power brakes and air conditioning. Buick was non-negotaible on the T-Type package. You could not make any changes (like deleting air conditioning or changing the rear end ratio.)

hmm, kyle felts.... did you used to be a regular on thirdgen.org back in the day?

I had wondered about this myself. I have read in the past about a few white GNs being produced. One such article was in the all turbo Buick edition of GM High-Tech. The article was titled "White Heat" I believe. He mentioned the reason he had his painted white and added GN badges was because he had ridden in one of the white GNs. I've seen other things here and there that have mentioned a few rare white GNs. This is unconfirmed though.

I too had heard from reliable inside GM sources quite some time ago that GM produced a couple white GNs. Those were custom production GNs for GM higher-ups like the CEO of Buick.

Originally posted by Pablo
hmm, kyle felts.... did you used to be a regular on thirdgen.org back in the day?

I have been on Thirdgen since 1995..Back in the Grrn and black days as its called.

Went trhu 2 thirdgens... my brother still has one... a TTA, and now I am offraoding...

Looking to get a GN sometime in the next year.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I too had heard from reliable inside GM sources quite some time ago that GM produced a couple white GNs. Those were custom production GNs for GM higher-ups like the CEO of Buick.

BS! Our cars have been around going on 20 years now. If the white GN's were legit you would have seen one or at least read about one by now. You would think that if they existed there would be a word or two and possibly a build sheet or SPID label mentioned in one of the Steven Doves "facts and figures" books.

are you guys thinking about the 1 white GNX? I've read theories tossed around on this board if it's real or not. I forget what conclusion we all came to.

If you ordered/bought an 86/87 WE2 or WE4, it was painted in GM paint color N17(?) - Black. Any other color and it is not a GN.

Jim D'Allesandro was one of the first to paint his GN a non-black color in the 90's. He chose white.

Ray from ASC decided to make a 100% real GNX clone (as in correct parts, but no proper registration as a GNX). He chose white.

In 1986 the fastest turbo Regal in the world (still is) was being campaigned in the NHRA Pro Stock division. It was white.

Originally posted by turbofish38
BS! Our cars have been around going on 20 years now. If the white GN's were legit you would have seen one or at least read about one by now. You would think that if they existed there would be a word or two and possibly a build sheet or SPID label mentioned in one of the Steven Doves "facts and figures" books.
I was told this by Mark L. Reuss who just several years ago was CEO of GM's Performance Division. His father was directly in charge of the Grand National project for Buick.

I met Mark and spoke with him at length at the 2002 Detroit Autorama when he offered to buy my 400 mile GN as a tribute to his father. He gave me his business card which carries his email address at GM. I can give that to you if you'd like and you can ask him personally.
confused2.gif