Guys, I need an argument settled on the colors of GN's

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I was told this by Mark L. Reuss who just several years ago was CEO of GM's Performance Division. His father was directly in charge of the Grand National project for Buick.

I met Mark and spoke with him at length at the 2002 Detroit Autorama when he offered to buy my 400 mile GN as a tribute to his father. He gave me his business card which carries his email address at GM. I can give that to you if you'd like and you can ask him personally.
confused2.gif

I would have to say: So?

Just because somebody claims to have inside info, still doesn't make it so.
GN's (84-87 that is) were only produced in black. Period. There may have been many that were "custom" made for somebody at some point, but not out the factory doors that way.
These old wive's tales have been around literally as long as there's been GN's, still doesn't make it any more factual, just because somebody claims to have inside info.
GN's were produced in black. custom re-painted at some point, yes. Out the factory doors in an color other than black, no.
But like the tale, there'll still be doubters (mostly folks that weren't old enough to know what a GN was when they were being produced) around forever.
All car marques have silly myths following them around. But those of us old enough to be around and actually driving, when they were being produced, generally know better.

So you're saying Mark L. Reuss (GM's Performance Division head) either lied to me or I'm lying about what he said?

As I said, GM only manufactured black GN's but I'm told by several insiders they did 1-2 special "one offs" for the CEO of Buick and another GM big-wig. Was it a production white GN?...depends on what your definition of that is. Did they have the paint code for black or white?...who knows, I haven't seen them.

Let me assure you many strange things happened to cars for employees or "insiders" with access to the ordering dept. My dad worked in the plant GNs were made in Pontiac MI and in other GM production facilities for 35 years. Customization was done IN PRODUCTION for those who had access. It's much harder in today's plants than it was years ago. I recall stories that his buddies would order a car and knew the scheduled build date. They'd watch it go down the line and custom build the car as they wanted - within reason. Hell, they knew everyone on the production line, the inspectors and formen. It was no big deal.

Believe me or not I could care less. I'm not going to argue about it. But I have no reason to doubt the CEO of GM's Performance Div.

I wouldn't say anybody's lieing. Just mis-informed.

Of course you haven't seen them. Nor has anyone else. Don't you think that after more than 19 years, that something so incredibly unusual as a non black GN would be a very popular and unique piece that is shown as much as possible. Sorta like GNX number 001? I see it in just about every major and even some minor GN shows everywhere.

As for the White GNX, it's just a clone. Having met the owner and seeing his car at a show in MI last fall, I got to see it up close and personal. He is a very nice (and honest) gentleman that admits to the car not being a "real" GNX, although it has everything.

Fact is I can't prove one was ever made and you can't prove one wasn't made. There's no proof either way so no one can definitively say.

It'll forever be one of life's mysteries.....

The whole purpose of this post was to confirm whether or not you could get a GN in any other color other than black. Other than the 82 1/2 GNs most were painted black. There very well may have been exceptions. All I told is what I've read. I too have never seen a GN come from the factory in white. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Most of you believe in God, but have you ever seen him in person? The whole point of arguing something that neither side has solid evidence on is pointless. Maybe we can get an e-mail to the new head honchos at GM and see what they can dig up. To answer your question Kyle, yes, black and silver, black, and POSSIBLY white. By the way, the prototype was red but it was just the prototype.

A kid who worked at AutoZone ask me a couple of years ago, "...why did you paint your Grand National white..." :rolleyes: Maybe your friend saw mine :p
(I have a white T-Type)

Hey ACME... is there really a good club for Turbo Buicks in ATL?

I might want to attend an event... r would I actually have to posses a Turbo Buick powered car?

Originally posted by Kyle F
I guess I should have been more specific... we were talking about 85-87's..Intercooled ones. He had abuddy that has a Maroon GN.

I told him it was just badged, but he didnt believe me so I just wanted him to see the replys back.

Thanks

it could be a real GN, but it's been repainted. they all left the factory in black (the 84 prototype was all red: the famous 'Molly' car; but GM decided black instead)

Meeting.....

Hey ACME... is there really a good club for Turbo Buicks in ATL?

I might want to attend an event... r would I actually have to posses a Turbo Buick powered car?

Come by, our meeting is this Saturday, June 18th at 11am at the Halftime Cafe ,(used to be called," 3 dollar Cafe ") on Windy Hill rd off I-75 ,going north from I-285, get off to Windy Hill, turn left, cross over I-75 and it's on the left about 200 yds.... You don't need a GN or Buick powerd car,or even a car, just tell everybody you are building a 10 second Buick street mobile, we even have girls in our club and one guy drives a Mustang .... :)

I have been on Thirdgen since 1995..Back in the Grrn and black days as its called.

Went trhu 2 thirdgens... my brother still has one... a TTA, and now I am offraoding...

Looking to get a GN sometime in the next year.

Yep i was there too, back then it was on the missouri.edu server and that was before the yellow and black days when youd wait a week or two for any real post traffic lol

wow, small world I guess. Turbo buicks are awesome but I still love thirdgens

I used (and still) use the same name as I do here on there. That place has exploded.

Originally posted by Pablo
Yep i was there too, back then it was on the missouri.edu server and that was before the yellow and black days when youd wait a week or two for any real post traffic lol

wow, small world I guess. Turbo buicks are awesome but I still love thirdgens

I used (and still) use the same name as I do here on there. That place has exploded.

I use the same nicks on all the Boards I am on... I am on herem the Chevy truck bard, SRT Forums, LS1tech, LT1 Tech, Camaroz28.com, Ranger Forums... and other ones that I probably cant think of right now. I think I am still a member at the corral and at Honda-Acura tech to.

I am a car fan... so I am all over the place and try to stay educated on all kinds of cars because you never know what I might buy next

Hey,

I have a white GN. Oops, sorry, it's a Base Regal with the LC2.

On another topic, I toured PAS when they were making Typhoons several years ago and saw a few different weirdo colors not for public consumption that I have pix of. I'm savings those pix and a bunch of brochures and such I received that day until some Typhoon freak offers me millions for them. That outta happen any day now...

strike