Gmc syclone

Sycone #560

I am a Syclone owner in South Jersey and I am looking for a reputable shop to rebuild and install my motor. I was considering one place but I saw a bunch of complaints. If you know of any shop please post

Thank you

Tony

rebuild

If you havent checked Allout preformance in clayton you should they are good old boys who love cars and you dont pay for flash you get good work and they stand behind their customers.:D:D

The typical syty owner tunes themself using

http://www.code59.org/

In conjunction with a wideband o2, moates.net ostrich emulator and 3g chip adapter... and you could also use tunerpro which is free and does both tune changes as well as data log.

As far as a place of business that specializes in these rare trucks and actually knows there stuff about them.. these guys would be your best bet http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/2701205-post39.html

Thank you for the info but now let me tell you about my issue I was told the truck had work done to the trans 3700 stall shift kit corvette servo it turned out to only have a corvette servo thats why it liquafied,I was also told it has 50lb injectors 3bar map chip 52mm Pte turbo straight pipe exhaust with no cats and adjustable timing. It has a box that is connected to somthing under the dash I was told this is for the timing but until I know for sure what components are in it I would rather get it to someone who knows what they are looking for to set it up so I somthing to go on.

Thank you for the info but now let me tell you about my issue I was told the truck had work done to the trans 3700 stall shift kit corvette servo it turned out to only have a corvette servo thats why it liquafied,I was also told it has 50lb injectors 3bar map chip 52mm Pte turbo straight pipe exhaust with no cats and adjustable timing. It has a box that is connected to somthing under the dash I was told this is for the timing but until I know for sure what components are in it I would rather get it to someone who knows what they are looking for to set it up so I somthing to go on.

Where are you located?

Wow so the truck had a stock rebuilt trans with a corvette servo in it? that's a typical mistake made by any run of the mill trans shop. The stock servo and valve are specific to syty's and are very hard to find. Stock these trucks shift very firm and for a reason.

If you do have a pte 52 you'll need a higher stall or you'll have tons of lag. Stock stall is 2600 and won't cut it for that turbo. That's a good turbo/dp kit though and will produce good power but you need it tuned or else you'll likely be as quick or slower then stock :)

50lb injectors are fine but not desirable because with the 50lb injectors its very difficult to get a good tune for them since they vary brand to brand so most jump to the 60lb injectors plus there's allot of tunes out there for the 60's already that you can use or at least start off with as a base tune.

Do you have any pictures of this box under your dash? You should really pull your ecm and see what chip you have in there because 99% of the aftermarket chips for these trucks were horrible. The only safe one was the ATR pitbull series but they were all 2bar map. The worst was Kenne Bell's as they disabled the knock sensor so engines were getting blown like crazy so kenne bell got out of the syty market real quick but these chips still float around and are found in trucks.

If your close by I could hook my laptop up and data log your truck for you and maybe even see what chip you have in there from datamaster. That way you'll see how bad it's running if it is bad etc.

That sounds good thanks for the info im in south jersey and if you live near buy I would love to meet up I always wanted a syclone and I dont want to mess it up im new to the turbo game but ill say one thing she goes like a raped ape when you lay into her and the gas in it is old you can smell it and she still pulls hard

That sounds good thanks for the info im in south jersey and if you live near buy I would love to meet up I always wanted a syclone and I dont want to mess it up im new to the turbo game but ill say one thing she goes like a raped ape when you lay into her and the gas in it is old you can smell it and she still pulls hard

Don't beat on it with it having bad gas in it.. you'll get detonation and that's what kills these trucks. The internals are basic 4.3 internals from a regular pickup so they don't take well to detonation that's why the tune is key. if the tunes too far off you'll burn a piston up or wash the cylinder walls lol

yes I called them today and they are in the process of installing a Dyno and chip burner...He said to call him back in a month or 2

:) Man I am afraid of this thing...I blew it up under normal driving with 40K on it...The rebuild is set to finish next week. I went with an SRP Pist and eagle rods, Clevite bearings, Caps, Ported heads with stainless valves ..I just wanted a stonger build. I need the external wastegate inspected and all the vacuum lines put in correctly...The final thing is I I need the exhaust finished from the 3" downpipe to the cat. I just want it done correctly, then I may get into tuning later... My Grand National was bullet Proof:) That thing pinged for the longest time and it never blew up :).... Finally I got it tuned and it ran in the low 12's.. That its what I am looking to get out of my Syclone also

Thanks

Tony

Im in Marlton

12's out of a syclone doesn't require much at all.. when my truck was 100% stock except for a muffler and adjustable fuel pressure regulator over boosting slightly to 16psi it ran consistent 13.0's, 13.1's at 98/99mph but it was in tip top shape tune wise.

SRP and Eagle rods is very common build for these trucks.. just have to make sure you have clearance with the eagle rods in the stock oil pan if not clearance it a little.

You should take an hour or so and read like a mad man over on syty.net... everything with these trucks have been discussed over there and there are some people over there that eat, sleep, love these things and could help you avoid a pitfall of $ and time.

I do belong to the SYTY forums and there a few good people over there but I came here to get different opinions, I was a Grand National owner and I had triplet girls in 1999 and I had to sell. The machine shop did notch the block for the eagle rod but I am not sure how he addressed the oil pan. I will have the motor installed in about 2 weeks then start the break in period before I have it tuned. I would like to learn how to tune my own truck someday but I have alot to learn first.

Thanks
Tony

I actually forgot about posting this a few years back. The story was I bought a syclone back in the fall of 2011 and the truck blew up a few days after I purchased it from over boosting. I guess my lack of knowledge even after owning a Grand National for 6 years and I failed to check the wastegate. The truck sat for years and the wastegate was rusted shut, while driving a mile from my home and less than 4 Lbs of boost the engine blew and put 7 holes in the oil pan. I was sick to my stomach because I knew it blew the second it happened.
I started looking for a machine shop that dealt with Turbo Engines and as the quotes came in I was asking Members at SYTY.Net what they thought and one shop in North Jersey quoted Flat Top pistons from Keith Black which from what I was told would have been a big mistake. I found a small machine shop in South Jersey to rebuild the motor be cause they mainly did GN's. I went with SRP Pistons, Eagle Rods, Comp Cam and rebuilt heads, ported and polished. Once the motor was finished I drove the truck around with no Boost for a few day and the Turbo Charger seals went bad shortly after getting it back on the road. The old owner adapted a Grand National turbo on the Syclone so I replaced it with a Precision 5857 and an external Waste gate. I went to the Turbo Tweak site and purchased 60 injectors, Bar map sensor and a Turbo Tweak chip. Once I installed all of that the truck was Grumpy, so I sent the log to Eric and he straightened it out after a few attempts and the truck is now pulling strong. So I posted some pictures of the truck and got my balls busted for having Camaro rims so I replaced them with 18" Z06 Staggered rims from Auto Addictions in my area. I just wanted to thank everyone that helped me on this site as well as the SYTY Site. The truck would still be sitting if I didn't find these two forums.