Everyone go search for those triangle braces!

Add another car to the list; 78-80 Olds Cutlass had the underhood bars (tubular Kirban's style, not crappy thin wire).Same vintage Regals possible (didn't see any to compare0
Just to verify some things everyone has been saying;
1) There are several styles of braces under the hood of the Cadillac. The best ones seem to be the 81-84 (?) Caddys with the slight bend. After bolting them in my car I didn't see where it would matter if they were straight or curved. The others should work fine.
2)The Monte Carlos', Cutlass' and Grand Prix's I looked at had the "jounce bars" frame to crossmember bars.
Only the Grand Prix had the third bar as mentioned by someone else previously.

The Grand Prix also had the underhood bars but they were too long.
I did notice some of the B-body cars had the underhood braces also which could be used for the backseat braces and maybe the underhood braces. I didn't check as the 78 Cutlass braces were a perfect fit.
I hope this helps someone out in there search.

I've owned 3 Cutlass and all of them have the jounce bars. I was thinking of taking them off my current one but now that I know what they are for and do I'll leave them on. Thanks

How about underhood bars???

Does anyone know if the underhood bars that go from the center of the cowl to the outer edges of the core support will fit on our cars? I have a 79 Monte with a set of them as well as the Jonce Bars.
1 of the underhood bars is straight. The other has a slight bend about a 3rd of the way through it.
If they will fit.
I'll pull 'em and put em on the TR.

TIA -Matt-

I looked at those too but there isn't a spot to mount them on the firewall area unless you were to weld/fab. something to fit.
Also they may not clear the intake.
Just my thoughts.

When mounting the jounce bars, are you supposed to raise the front two tires off the ground? Or mount them with the car on the ground like normal?

Howdy.

I had to put mine on with the car in the air, becuase it is lowered.

However, the car sits differently when it is on the ground, so you should try to tighten things up when the car is on the ground, and check them again after a week or so...

If anyone lives in Sarasota, my stripped out TR has all of the braces still intact. Full set from Kirban including rear seat braces. I'm 4 hours away, not worth the gas to drive up there and get em, I think.

Is anyone other than Kirban making the long under frame bar that fits under the intercooler? None of the factory type pieces fit, correct?

Just got my jounce bars(front braces) off a 86 OLDS CUTLASS,and the brace off an 85 GRAND PRIX.The bar off the GRAND PRIX does not look like it will fit,because of the intercooler.Has anyone else had this problem,if so,how do I go about getting it on,if possible.

I just found out that these bars do NOT fit with a streched intercooler:mad: .

Keith

Thanks for the reply,I guess I will keep the bar just in case I go to a front mount intercooler.

Did anyone ever get the Grand Prix crossover bar to fit with the stock location intercooler?

I understand the sizes for the bolt heads for mounting these Jounce Bars as 15mm for the cradle attachment and 18mm for the frame attachment. What thread size and length of these bolts should I need to install (I dont have any hardware available). Please post response here and email me please at zmodshotwheels@comcast.net

Thanks, STEVE Z:)

I understand the sizes for the bolt heads for mounting these Jounce Bars as 15mm for the cradle attachment and 18mm for the frame attachment. What thread size and length of these bolts should I need to install ..
Many have used a thread-cutting bolt on the frame cross-member end, or even a std grade-10 bolt (for hardness) and then used an impact wrench to force the bolt into the hole.

I preferred a bit more finesse ... the holes on the frame cross-member were between 11/32" & 12/32" diameter. This is almost exactly the correct size for threading standard 7/16"-14 , which is what I did.

I used flanged-head 7/16" bolts to attach braces at the cross-member, and flanged 7/16 bolts & nuts at the forward frame rail.

I used Belleville spring washers under the bolt/nut head to prevent them from loosening , also the Bellevilles have large OD, to cover the rather sloppy large holes in the frame rail.

If you don't have a good industrial hardware store near you, these fasteners can be mail-ordered from McMaster-Carr