Everyone go search for those triangle braces!

WSLN 6

Powered by Murphy's Law
I installed the 3 braces under the front of the car.(Cross bar from 86 Grand Prix, and the 2 "V" bars from an 1980 Monte Carlo)
Took a few washers to get all three together, but man, what a difference!
The car rides so much smoother in the front end now, railroad tracks are no longer harsh.
Mind you, I cut away quite a bit of the rad support for the Powerstroke IC with 3" piping, so I'm sure the car was happy to get some front end support back.

Super easy job.
Cheap.
Effective.

Doesn't get much better.

i just got the two braces yesterday and i should be putting them on soon. they are studier than i thought! very thick wall on them, very stiff.

Will I have to do any mods to a stock I/C or anything eles to get the cross brace in? I have the V braces and would like to complete the triangle.

Thanks,

i dont think it will either but kirban makes one that will though, its offset from the mounting holes.

I have a set from a 79 Monte.
Only have 1 small problem.
The damn bolts that tread into the Frame just spin when I try to take em off.
*sigh*

well that sucks!

i put the v braces on the other day and oh MY!! it handles much better now. the whole front end feels stiffer and more responsive to the steering. turns are more flat and i'm a happy person!

best damn 7 bucks i spent on the suspension!

front stabilizer bars

which bars are you guys talking about?

I looked underneath my buddies 85 olds 442 last night and he has two bars going from the front of the chassis to the crossmember. It is kind of hard to describe, but I will try to get pics. Are these the same bars you are talking about?

My 87 GN is lowered with moog springs, pst complete super front end kit, low profile tires, and koni shocks. His car has factory springs that have been cut, an old pair of monroe shocks, and these two bars. His car handles "WAY" better then mine does. It is completely on a rail.

*UPDATE*:
Well, I found out that the olds had three different sizes of "stabilizer bars". Anybody know anything about these? What sizes are the best? What is a direct bolt-in? What cars had them?

TIA

Originally posted by TT4U2NV
I have a set from a 79 Monte.
Only have 1 small problem.
The damn bolts that tread into the Frame just spin when I try to take em off.
*sigh*

That's because they don't "thread into the frame". There is a nut in there you need to put a wrench on. I think its an 18mm.

Actually, the bolts under the engine cradle do thread into the car, and the bolts behind the bumper support do not.
Luckily the bars came off nice and easy at the wrecker.......
I just used the original bolts, using a little wd-40, they threaded right into the frame on my car.

Originally posted by UNGN

That's because they don't "thread into the frame". There is a nut in there you need to put a wrench on. I think its an 18mm.

Point Taken.
I'm in the midst of pulling the Vacuum brake system of the monte as well as various other parts as well.

Thanks.

Re: front stabilizer bars

Originally posted by jsta6
*UPDATE*:
Well, I found out that the olds had three different sizes of "stabilizer bars". Anybody know anything about these? What sizes are the best? What is a direct bolt-in? What cars had them?

TIA

I think this refers to the sway bars. There were actually four sizes used on G-bodies. The biggest is 1 1/4" or 32 mm. The 84/87 TR's already have this bar. Biggest in back too (22 mm).

hmmm.

So instead of one "swaybar" like on my 87GN, the bars that I saw on my buddies 85 OLDS 442 are two "stabilizer bars"?

Anybody tried putting these on their GN/TR?

If you're talking about the 2 diagonal braces that go from the center of the engine crossmember out diagonally to the frame, then yes...That is one of the mods to do to stiffen up the frame a little...None of the Buick Regals got those braces...The Monte's and the Cutlass's did, and the Grand Prix's got a different kind of brace...

BTW, the diagonal braces work great!!!

2 diagonal braces

exactly...

so who has the low down on these bad boys? What are the cars that have the best ones that bolt in the easiest, etc...

Basically, any G-body car except the Regals and Grand Prix's...The Regals didn't have them and the Grand Prix's had a different style of brace...

I think you could use from 78 on up g-bodies...

Correct Term

Actually Ladies and Gentlemen the correct term for the "diagonal bracing" or "triangle bracing" under the montes and such is referred to as "Jounce Bars". Just FYI.

Greetings!

Actually, as I recall they are called "jounce bars". More typically found as an option on T-Types, Turbo T's, and GNs. I believe they were standard with the GNx option. My 80 Monte has them. They were very handy especially in the V8 cars with the added weight in the front. My buddy wants to steal them for his 83 t-type. (you know who you are, pat83t!) :D They definately help with handling. They seem rather unuseful, but they are a necessity when trying to make your car handle or dropping in a v8.

More appropriately, it was part of the F41 option/standard on all G-body cars with performance or V8.

Thanks guys.

Patrick Harris
Longview Washington
87 Buick Regal (granny mobile)

"Not a day goes by I don't miss my 87 Turbo T."

These bars where not on T's, GN from the factory.
As far as I can tell the GP's were the most commom recipients of em..

Originally posted by IMissMy87TurboT
Greetings!

Actually, as I recall they are called "jounce bars". More typically found as an option on T-Types, Turbo T's, and GNs. I believe they were standard with the GNx option. My 80 Monte has them. They were very handy especially in the V8 cars with the added weight in the front. My buddy wants to steal them for his 83 t-type. (you know who you are, pat83t!) :D They definately help with handling. They seem rather unuseful, but they are a necessity when trying to make your car handle or dropping in a v8.

More appropriately, it was part of the F41 option/standard on all G-body cars with performance or V8.

Thanks guys.

Patrick Harris
Longview Washington
87 Buick Regal (granny mobile)

"Not a day goes by I don't miss my 87 Turbo T."