Everyone go search for those triangle braces!

guys, Im pretty sure that these bars have nothing to do with the f41 suspension option. At least the ones that I took from the GP in the yard was not f41 equipped.. as were the other 3 or 4 G bodys that had em at this yard.. It seemed to be random.. Some had it and some did not.

I got a set for my GN off a Monte SS. I had to get an open end wrench thru the end of the frame rail to get to the nuts. Be careful, if the wrench pops off, it may slide pretty far into the framerail and be tough to retrieve. The crossmember holes on my GN were not tapped like the Monte's. I drilled them out with a U letter sized bit and tapped them to 7/16 NC thread and bolted them bad boys up. Nice fit.:cool:

If you re-used the pointed bolts/screws on the crossmember from the parts car that the braces came off of, you can just screw them into the existing hole, no need to tap it out...Just apply pressure and use a 1/2" drive ratchet/socket and screw them in...Or use an impact wrench...

Anybody remember what sizes of the wrench and socket that they used to get these off the donor car?

FJM568

I would have re-used the self-tapping bolts, but they weren't there. I was lucky to get the braces. The motor was gone and the whole thing was pretty picked over. Got the braces and the brake pedal (for vacuum brake conversion) for 10 bucks. :D They were even the correct color- black.:D :D :D

The bolts up in the frame behind the bumper support are 18mm(open end wrench will work fine.) and I believe the threaded bolts going into the engine cradle are 15mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by WSLN 6
The bolts up in the frame behind the bumper support are 18mm(open end wrench will work fine.) and I believe the threaded bolts going into the engine cradle are 15mm. Can anyone confirm this?

That sounds right. If you don't have 2 18mm wrenches, I've used a 19mm wrench on the top front bolts (inside the frame). You just have to keep it from turning. In the south, a 19mm wrench will do it. On a rusted car up north, you may need two 18 mm's.

Yup, 18MM - had togo down and buy one b/c my set didn't have that size. 15MM on the crossmember bolts. Bolt inside the frame rail can be a real witch to get and keep a wrench on (socket wouldn't work) - depending on the donor car.

One of the best things you can do to your car. Thanks for the tip!

What's rust?:rolleyes:

Fred:

==============
If you re-used the pointed bolts/screws on the crossmember from the parts car that the braces came off of, you can just screw them into the existing hole, no need to tap it out...Just apply pressure and use a 1/2" drive ratchet/socket and screw them in...Or use an impact wrench...
==============

Yep, I put my 1LE sway bar and the jounce bars in yesterday. 1LE bar went in with no problems.

The jounce bar crossmember screws definately did not want to go in. Luckily, my bro Brock was in town, and he showed me how to get them in. We did not have a tap, so we used the bolts as a tap.

Dip the end of the bolt in some oil (real oil, not WD40). Force the bolt in to the crossmember, concentrating on pushing it in with your thumb more then just turning it with the wrench. Make sure that you stay at a 90 degree angle, and don't pop it out by pushing on it sideways. Turn it 1/4 turn at a time, backing it off 1/8 turn afterwards to get the cut metal out. Do this for the first few threads, then increase the turns as the bolt starts to cut in to the crossmember.

First time I ever "tap'd". Worked out great. Just keep a steady hand...

Also, metric will fit better then standard.

BTW, the suspension is stiffer...
:cool:

i have an 84 Cutlass calais that has thes bars i think you refer to it had a 307 v8 just to add to the list and it also had the fender supports(the short ones)

I just scored 2 sets of the bars yesterday at the jy for $5:) I found a Grand Prix with the other bar that connects the frame rails together,will this bar fit with the ic in place? I would have grabbed it but it was getting close to thier closing time and its not fun when you left your 18mm socket at home ;) The cars I found them on were a 78-9 Cutlass,and a mid 80s 4 door Bonnieville.

Keith

From what I have seen EVERY 81/88 Monte and Cutlass has the two jounce bars and EVERY 81/87 Grand Prix has the third bar.

It has nothing to do with the F41 suspension package. I don't know why people call them F41 bars. My Regals all have F41, and none had any bars.

They are dirt cheap at the junkyard.

b4black, I agree. I see the bars all the time and just pass them up because I didn't think they were hard to find. Maybe I should grab all of them and all the aluminum drums I pass on too.:)