Electric cutout (Better than that "IT" invention!)

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
I am currently testing an electric exhaust cutout on my car with the intentions of possibly selling it from my website. It bolts right on to a typical 3" test tube with the 3 bolt dump plate on it.

It's not that I am too lazy to remove the 3 wings nuts off the plate! I wanted something that I could do on the fly. Have had it on my GN for a few miles now and the best part so far was coming up to a stop light and seeing some guy working on a Mustang. Pushed the button and opened up the plate and the look on his face was priceless when I took off from the light! Little ways down the road and hit the switch to close it back up and back to quiet motoring.

You can also open the plate to wherever it sounds best. I was actually driving around with the plate about 1/3 open and it sounds pretty good. You can really hear your turbo spooling up, that's for sure.

Installation is pretty easy. Removed the existing plate from the exhaust cutout and bolted on the motorized plate. Ran the wire along the trans crossmember away from the exhaust and driveshaft and brought it into the car thru the grommet for the shifter cable. I pulled the power and ground for the motor from the wires running to my gauge pod that is located on the front of the console. Drilled two holes in the pod, one for the switch and one for the indicator light that lets you know when the plate is fully closed or open.

Is there any interest out there for possibly going into production on these? Probably would be somewhere in the $100-$125 range. I will post some pics later tonite when I get home.

I'd be interested in this item. A company that concentrates on LS1 performance made motorized cutouts like this months ago and had electrical motor failures due to the heat after a while..... They withdrew the product.

Our turbo cars generate more heat so definately shield the electric motor with some form of wrap etc.

Would any warranty be given with this product. $125 sounds attractive.

GNX7

Hey that's funny I was talking with some friends about designing a vacuum/boost operated cutout just a couple weeks ago.

:)

Charles Brooks

I would buy one as long it works well and keeps working. I love street tricks like that cutout. Hey you should see faces when I bounce flames off the pavement from my duel 3"tail pipes with my Low 11 sec '67 Pontiac.

Let us know when it's ready, I might want to set up the Pontiac also.

Bring it on!!! I'd love to let a few big block guys hear a stage 2 open exhaust. Will you be able to do one for the 3 1/2 " exhaust???

I forgot for my GN since I run Terry's 3.5 inch downpipe, I would need one for 3.5 also.

Sounds like a great idea. I think that vacuum operated would be the way to go, but electrically operated would no doubt be easier to control and meter. Maybe the control motor could be mounted away from the dump with a long rod.

Another possibility is a hydraulically operated solenoid, although that might drive the price up.

I haven't had good experience with the cable operated ones that JC whitney used to sell. The hinge on the butterfly gets all carboned up and then it doesn't seal properly. Graphite works well for a while, but even that eventually gives out.

It will probably do more for the sound than the performance. The Jersey style THDP dump would benefit the most as it would then empty in a straight line.

Here's some pics of the installation!
This is a picture of my existing cutout
http://www.buickgn.com/precutout.jpg
This is a picture of the electrical cutout installed
http://www.buickgn.com/cutoutmounted.jpg
This is where I ran the cable into the interior
http://www.buickgn.com/floorgrommet.jpg
The gauge pod with switch and indicator light installed
http://www.buickgn.com/gaugepod1.jpg
The wiring under the gauge pod
http://www.buickgn.com/wiringunderpod.jpg

Hope this works!

All suggestions welcome.

That's cool. That's a bit different than I imagined. Nice job!

Have you run it yet? How well does it seal so far? What seals the butterfly shut? Does it seal just like a throttlebody, against the bore?

If you have trouble with the motor overheating, you might be able to remote mount the motor and use a flexshaft. I was thinking that one of those $20 SkilTwist electric screw drivers would be an ideal candidate for a torky motor and hex drive. I'm pretty sure that they have a clutch built into them so you could crank the thing shut without worrying about over-torquing it.

Just ideas.

Looks great!

Took the GN out again yesterday before the snow started and am very happy with the way the cutout works. Fully open it is sort of obnoxious. Found the best compromise for sound was about half way open. You can really hear the turbo spool up. Just testing the waters here to see if there is enough interest to start putting them into production.

im interested also, i have a 3" dump right off my turbo exhaust housing, it would be great for the track.

Come on guys, let Mark Know this is a really great update on an idea that people have loved since the 50's. Let it RUMBLE !!!!!!!!!!
I bet its a bargain compared to "IT" This product could reach far beyond our Buicks and used on lots of other cars. Big Bucks!

Mark,
How long does it take to cycle from closed to fully open?
I thought of having a 3 way switch setup: 1. closed, 2. open at whatever you wanted, 3. operated off a boost setting.
Would be nice to get the TR as quiet as any regular grocery getter, but able to just hit the power pedal & have it come alive.
$125 & reliable sounds reasonable.
Roger

Great idea Mark!!!!! Let us in on prices and any other specifics when you get em!!