E85 Update

anybody heard anything about E85 in florida??? its not legal to sell to non government entities, ie regular consumers, but they are trying to get the law changed. last i head it was being reviewed, anyone got any new info??

ijames said:
From an IUPAC and atom count perspective, C2H6O is correct. From a typical organic chemistry perspective C2H5OH or CH3CH2OH are common because they show the ethyl moiety and the -OH that makes it an alcohol, so you get structural info along with the atom count. On Rt 198 between Hwy 32 and the BW Parkway, on the north side, there is a Chevron station with E85. I thought we talked chips a couple of years ago when you were having emissions problems? Anyway, anytime you want to talk is fine with me. If the weather is good I'll probably go to Capitol Friday night to watch. The monthly pizza get-together is next week, first Tuesday of each month at the North Laurel Pizza Hut on Rt. 1, just south of Hwy 32, from 7 pm until 9-11 pm. Come out and chat.

Chemistry was last dealt with in the late 80's - Damn college was along time ago. Now I'm feelin' old.

Got to be out that way next Tuesday, but probably before 7 - I'll try to make it anyway. Thanks for the invite :)

Do you know anything about True 2 Form? It is a body shop in the area you are talking about - some chump on a cell phone rear ended my Bonneville in D.C. I do not have any recent experience with body shops - I hope Allstate knows I will be renting a similar, full sized car while mine is in the shop!

Oil Companies

It seems that since the same distribution system that makes and delivers the oil products will be selling us the alcohol, I think that the oil companies will be even more profitable on the sale of E85 because they will not have to do anything but sell it after marking it up of course.

Yes, it will be that much less oil product, but that may just make their job easier as the refineries are supposedly at or about 100% right now. Backing off a bit might just help them eliminate some over time pay and make things work/flow a bit easier on their part. - just thinking out loud....

Blown&Injected said:
Do you know anything about True 2 Form? It is a body shop in the area you are talking about - some chump on a cell phone rear ended my Bonneville in D.C. I do not have any recent experience with body shops - I hope Allstate knows I will be renting a similar, full sized car while mine is in the shop!
True 2 Form is directly across the street from Vernon's Automotive, my friend's shop where we hang out most Saturdays, and where lots of guys congregate before driving north on Rt 1 about 1/2 mile to the Pizza hut on meeting night. If you are there, you have no excuse! I have no personal experience with their work but Richard (he owns Vernon's) has said that they seem to do decent work from comments some of his customers have made.

My last college experience was late '80s as well, sigh, but I bet I started before you did. At least, I bet I have more grey in my beard :).

So do you have to do anything to your car (other than our concensus that you probably need to upgrade the fuel system) to be able to run e85 or will it run on any motor?

TURBOPOWERED68 said:

Archer
Daniels
Midland

They are a major manufacturer of corn sweetener ( High Fructose Corn Syrup ) and its main ingredient is corn just like E 85.

TurboBob, can the Maf Pro take care of E85 on 90lb injectors??
Fuel Injector Clinic: GM FORD MOPAR
( scroll down the page )

Would you have to upgrade the ECM drivers to do this or can the maf pro cancel it out??

How about being the test subject on this one Bob??:biggrin:

Is the walbro 340 doing ok with the E85??

E85 and alky would be a deadly combo. :eek:

I'm no expert but 85 means 85%, so the remaining 15% is a patrolium product. Then I heard there is a great deal of heat envolved in manufacturing E85. They us fossel fuels I think to create heat for this process. After that, you got the big oil companies doing all the marketing and handling of E85. So it seems the help for farmers is only marginal while big oil still makes a killing. It will take a revolution to kick start American into reducing forign oil dependancy and caring about the enviroment.

I'm no expert but 85 means 85%, so the remaining 15% is a patrolium product. Then I heard there is a great deal of heat envolved in manufacturing E85. They us fossel fuels I think to create heat for this process. After that, you got the big oil companies doing all the marketing and handling of E85. So it seems the help for farmers is only marginal while big oil still makes a killing. It will take a revolution to kick start American into reducing forign oil dependancy and caring about the enviroment.

FYI, in winter months, the ethanol concentration in E85 is often down at 70% (E70).

There's a great deal of heat involved in refining oil too. To refine a barrel of oil, it consumes about 30% of that barrel. It takes approximately 32,000 btu's of natural gas to produce one gallon of ethanol, and that's being improved upon every day. Which means, producing ethanol is a 'energy winner'. Newer and more technologically advanced plants are doing it for under 30,000 btu's/gallon.

The farmers that benefit are the ones that have ownership in ethanol plants, especially Co-Operatives. In a Co-Op, the plant buys the corn from the farmer at fair market value, and if the plant is profitable, the farmer receives a dividend from the plant. There are many other scenarios, but this is just one example.

Yes, big oil still makes a killing........but, won't they always?

The Energy Bill was a good start (caring about the environment and energy independance), and time will tell.

The farmers that benefit are the ones that have ownership in ethanol plants, especially Co-Operatives. In a Co-Op, the plant buys the corn from the farmer at fair market value, and if the plant is profitable, the farmer receives a dividend from the plant.

Cool, I didn't know farmers had anything to do with the plant process.

Cool, I didn't know farmers had anything to do with the plant process.

Sorry for being "Mr. Political", but farming is what built this nation.....I hope everyone supports American farming and the government programs to keep it alive......because truthfully, if the government wasn't helping, there wouldn't be any farming.

Sorry for being "Mr. Political", but farming is what built this nation.....I hope everyone supports American farming and the government programs to keep it alive......because truthfully, if the government wasn't helping, there wouldn't be any farming.

It's cool, I shouldn't have side swiped the thread with my jabber lol

Anyhow, we better support our farmer or starve ;)

I asked for an update or any more info in reagrds to the ORIGINAL intent of this thread, which was people running E85 in the Turbo Buicks. What the hell was I thinking?? It seems I should of expected all of this verbose political crap that had nothing to do with the original idea of the thread.:rolleyes:

is this e85 the same as gasahal(sp) i think around 1980 if so what happened to it.

No, No No - Gasohol was e10, much like what is sold in many parts of the country after MTBE was taken out.

Way too much mis-information on here...