E85 Motor ,,would you build one

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
my motor builder is swaying me towards a motor that will be compatable with e85( thinking it is pretty high in compression...he tells me that next season a Busch team will be using e85 and its the future....the motor will be ging ionto my grandpa regal or the tta,383 forged crank,forged rods and forged pistons and a Doug Herbert cam.shooting for at least 600hp and might try the turbo setup ,can I still use alki if useing e85

What are your thoughts on this

From a disscussion

based on E85, it is an alchy fuel, 85% mixed w/ 15% gas, eliminating the need for additional spray. as soon as I can find the forum, I will post it. I beleive it was on t6p. some mustang guys have been experimenting w/it for over a year and managed to produce about 1,000hp w/a 339ci sbf w/turbo.
The neg's were, the alchy did get 15%+ less mpg then gas; required larger injectors to produce the same amount of hp as gas. The use of alchy friendly components ie, gas tank fuel lines,etc. to withstand the harsh effects of the fuel. I contacted aeromotive about the use of e85 w/their f/pumps and they said they have received no neg.'s on their pumps w/e85. But the cost of the fuel here in tn does not offset the gas mileage of the fuel, + it is not available everywhere.
I found it, www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ind...?topic=47094.0

High compression is good for a normally aspirated engine. For a turbo engine, no reason to raise the compression. Turn up the boost, instead. For max power, anyway. And I'm with Shadow. Unless there are big tax breaks, or govmnt subsidies, it would be hard to justify for a daily driver. Well, I guess not if you work for Archer-Daniels-Midland, or own a 10 thousand acre corn farm.

not sure of the price of e85 right now ,but who are we fooling ,by this time next yr the price of a gallon of gas will be at Least $3.90 :)

not sure of the price of e85 right now ,but who are we fooling ,by this time next yr the price of a gallon of gas will be at Least $3.90
And ethanol will be free, and there will be peace in the middle east, and all the illegal immigrants will have gone home again.

personally, I would...

go for it! That's the reason I looked in to it to begin with. I was hoping the fuel would be 30% cheaper here as it is advertised in the forum from the muscrats. but it is only .20-.30 cents cheaper, and makes it more expensive than running meth. injection. My last purchase was $3.00/gal. :eek:
you could just make it multi-fueled also, as long as your tank, lines, and fuel delivery are set up for the alchy. If you are running an ecm, may have a problem w/chips. (you may have to physically change them over) After all, it wouldn't hurt to be prepared! :biggrin:

You have to be an 'authorized' customer of the manufacturer (GM) to buy from Vintage Parts.

And E85 requires 85% less involvement with the Arabs.

Let's see how well they do without our US money flooding in every day.

Anything to get us off foreign dependance is good in my book.

I'm all for it.

As soon as I am in an area where I can reliably fill up with e85 I am making the switch.

There is more specific energy in E85 than gasoline by a few thousand BTU's

It is also much more tolerant to boost and compression which allows you to gain even more power out of it.

A properly prepared e85 engine should blow away a pump gas engine in power on the same budget.

The talk of E85 requiring special lines and stuff like that is severly exaggerated. Most people are getting confused with methanol which indeed is pretty aggressive at eating up parts that arent designed to be methanol compatible. You can find hundreds of examples online of people running e85 in cars without changing a thing except their tune and possibly injectors to compensate for the required increase in fuel flow.

With the amount of E85 factories going up and the increased encouragement from the feds, E85 IS the future, no question about it.

I think that every single person on this board should be thinking of the change to E85. As gasoline prices continue to rise, Ethonal will stay the same or shoot lower as more Eplants are built. This stuff will be the ticket, and it will happen sooner than a lot of people think. I cannot wait for a station to be put in locally, so I can start my transformation now.

What will happen to the prices of E85 when there is a drought in the midwest?
Like the one in 89?

Go for it, I would to find more info about building one of our cars' motors to be E85 friendly. Lets face it, gasoline will be a thing of the past in the next few years. My family is all iowa corn producers and I am all for the use of ethonal as a main fuel. I dont see why it's not used more already. It is more efficient, burns cleaner, and can be reproduced! BONUS BONUS BONUS!!
-------Jeremy

jdpolzin said:
Go for it, I would to find more info about building one of our cars' motors to be E85 friendly. Lets face it, gasoline will be a thing of the past in the next few years. My family is all iowa corn producers and I am all for the use of ethonal as a main fuel. I dont see why it's not used more already. It is more efficient, burns cleaner, and can be reproduced! BONUS BONUS BONUS!!
-------Jeremy

Maybe next year they should grow surgar cane <I read an article int he paper today about the misconsecption on e85 ,most think it is made from corn,,well 80%(dont quote me) is from sugar cane....... :smile: :smile:

Is it considered ethonal? I was always under the impression that some of our corn at the coop is sold to ethonal producers. I will have to ask.

Filling up is the main concern, not every town has a station, sometimes multiple connecting towns do not have a station.

You are going to have to spend a few extra $$ to run E85 in compatible parts but if you are N/A running high compression and the cars not your daily driver, than this sounds like fun. ;)

There are ninety-two acres of sugar cane growing in the USA, and 427 bazillion acres of corn. (Approximate numbers ;) ) In Brazil, where they are really into ethanol, the numbers are the other way around. Think about it. Where does sugar cane grow? Nice, tropical areas, like south Florida, and Hawaii. (and Brazil) Where does corn grown? Most anywhere, but pretty much all over the midwest. So, yeah, it's cheaper to make ethanol out of cane, but there just is not that big a supply. We have import restrictions to protect the sugar industry, so importing sugar to make ethanol is not going to make money. (don't know about ethanol from sugar BEETS, which don't need tropics to grow) There is no infrastructure to distribute ethanol, like there is for gasoline. And it takes 12 gallons of ethanol to replace 10 gallons of gas. So, while there may be some spots where subsidies make E85 attractive, it just seems risky for a long term bet.

ethanol can be made out of

just about any plant. the consenus is that the soy bean will be the major supplier of the fuel(to me that sounds better than trying to eat it! :eek: ) I have even heard of some kind of brush of tumble weed. The problem is the large volume of fuel required by the masses. Maybe the best thing we could do is change over the distilleries from beer to ethanol!!! :biggrin: Or better yet, distill our own! ;) after all that's how it made, like white-lightning! :eek:
As a side note to the recommended parts, it probably is a good idea to have a teflon coated gas tank and up graded fuel lines, because of the age of our vehicles. the tanks are probably half rusted already. :frown:

The technology is advancing rapidly in what you can use to make ethanol

Right now they are experimenting with modified organisms for enzymes that can break down material that would otherwise not produce ethanol under normal circumstances. This means that anything that grows can be used to produce ethanol. www.iogen.ca is one company doing this

Brazil does use sugar cane and it is more efficient to use cane than corn.

To the drought comment; If there is a drought, the market will adjust just like when there is a war, a hurricane, an opec whim, a bad hair day, oil exec got out of the wrong side of bed, oil prices adjust (up)

The more sources of fuel on the market the less the energy market is going to be affected as a whole because of a few assclowns. Plenty of farmland around the world and it wont all be in drought if ours is, I'm sure their farmers would be glad to sell us some. Alot more people have farmland than people have oil. If we can get a global ethanol feed stock market going the price of energy should fall drastically and oops, desert countries will be out of luck on that one.