E85 and spark plugs

Nope was a reply to if I still had the 57# injectors...yes I run E-85 and I do love it :D

btw I give up on my avitar...anyone have simple instructions on posting pics?

edited: avitar adjusted

Switched the plugs out and i noticed that the old plugs were looking a little on the white side. Is this normal when burning E85? Or am I running a little lean?

Switched the plugs out and i noticed that the old plugs were looking a little on the white side. Is this normal when burning E85? Or am I running a little lean?

When running 100% E-85 the plugs will be almost bone white. :cool: Just think how much cleaner the combustion chambers are now. :biggrin:

When running 100% E-85 the plugs will be almost bone white. :cool: Just think how much cleaner the combustion chambers are now. :biggrin:

whew...good...Thought I might of had some problems there and I couldn't find any good info on reading plugs after E85 use

ill try them after they have proven their staying power
e-3... splitfire...:eek: dual ground straps...:rolleyes:

hard to tell whats a gimmic and what really works
im sure all the fast fast buicks out there have a "normal" plug

dont get me wrong im not knocking e-3's
im just sitting back and let you others test them first:tongue:
-dan

So it's been 2 years guys how do you like your E3's now? Anyone been to 30psi+ with them yet? I'm having issues blowing the spark out on my current plug. The large electrode on the e3 scares me a tad. Remonds me of a glow plug. :eek:

I've had good luck with E3's but I'll be honest, they're going when I get the new rails on my GN soon. Too many FI car owners have posted horrible experiences with them that I've never heard about traditional plugs.

I'm going to AC Delco CR43S this year and will post back how the non projected tip does with big boost and E85 on our ignition. Gapping at .035 and hoping no blowout and no noticeable change in gas mileage.

customers get really worried when you pull out there brisk plugs and there isnt 4 earth straps left i tell you that :biggrin:

I'm using a colder ngk equivalent of that plug now Acdelcos are good and all but you can't read the ground strap as well As the ngks. Just food for thought...

See how you can't read this strap heat line on. This is about 80 miles on e85.
IMG_4327.jpg

The NGK nickel plating wears off at hottest point showing your heat line very well on teh NGK's.

earthstrap.jpg

And no those aren't my nasty chewed up fingers! :)

I think I have some theory's to why these work for some of us and not for all of us, including Imports I've been reading issues about.

Here is a link to our E3.42 plug with some specs
E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs E3.42

E3.42 plug reach - .439_______Other Plugs = .460. This means the E3 is somewhat of a Non Projected tip plug vs the traditional plugs. This means the electrode will stay cooler since it's closer to the top of the cylinder vs the traditional plugs. This is a huge reason why big psi engines like non projected tip plugs because it lessens pre-ignition and detonation. Point to E3 here in FI engines.

E3.42 has the resistor in the plug, this is surprising to me that some of us can fire it without blow out at high boost along with the gap. I'd almost rather see this plug as a non resistor and eat up spark plug wires over time but it's firing 25psi for me so I'll take it. Neutral point for us but doesn't help those with weaker ignitions.

E3.42 has a .040 spark gap, this is probably the main reason many Imports and some GN's say this plug sucks. I looked up the gap the Evo (E3.48) etc Imports run and it's still .040. I can tell you that with my Talon at 30psi and with a Crane Fireball, I've got to gap traditional plugs to .025 now to keep it lite the whole run.

So, I'd take it to the bank that your GN better have a newish coil (mine is pretty new) with these plugs or you're going to have trouble. I've had the boost up to 30psi, when I took off the FMIC, and it was not only firing but might've kept going.

These plugs will really shine if any of us go to the Bob Bailey COP. That will probably be the main component to making these plugs work for ALL of us and all of the time.

I'm going to stick with these and I'll report back since I plan on upping the boost to 26-27psi when I add another Alky nozzle this Spring.