E85 and spark plugs

ronbuick

You guys out there using E85, what brand and heat range are you having the best results with, interested in what you all have to say regarding this. And also what gap and boost levels are you running?
thanks

Ron

E-3 Diamond Fire

Reviving an old thread here. ;) For those of you that dont know I've been running E-85 in my driver for over 2 years now.

The question has come up before which plug for E-85? The answer is simply use the plugs you normaly would with pump gas and be done with it, and my testing has shown that is correct. No need to run a special plug for E-85. :)

I must say however that I've been wanting to try the E-3 plugs for a while. I had talked to Kirban a while back and few of his customers have used these plugs and found that the car idles better, smoother if you will.

Fast forward to now. I have installed a set of E-3s. I'm currently running a closed loop idle chip for emissions testing. Sure enough the idle is smoother :biggrin:

I will know more this coming week after a put a few miles on the car with the plugs to see if there are any issues. I am curious if these plugs would help with cold start issues, but in my case the weather really never gets cold enough, long enough where I live.

I payed $36 and some change for the set at sparkplugs.com

If anyone else has used them please chime in. :cool:

on my 97 supra turbo, i am running e85, and with the ngk plugs the car will foul them out in about 500 miles(almost exactly every 500 miles too) tried 3 different sets of ngk plugs, and no better, i was then shown some brisk racing plugs, i was able to get 500 miles on the car before winter hit, so we will have to see in a few months here when the weather gets decent.

still trying to decide if i want to run e 85 on my tta

on my 97 supra turbo, i am running e85, and with the ngk plugs the car will foul them out in about 500 miles(almost exactly every 500 miles too) tried 3 different sets of ngk plugs, and no better, i was then shown some brisk racing plugs, i was able to get 500 miles on the car before winter hit, so we will have to see in a few months here when the weather gets decent.

still trying to decide if i want to run e 85 on my tta

:confused: It was my understanding you couldn"t fuel foul plugs running straight E-85. I've never heard of this before. Interesting.

yea others have said that as well, but like i said almost like clock work every 500 miles the ngk need to be changed. others in the supra community have had issues related to plugs as well a few others recommended brisk plugs too and said they had 2000miles and still going strong

I am also running E3s and so far they do have an easier start so it seems ? And that was -20 but had my block heater plugged in , Too much salt here so it will sit for awhile. Lets us know how your E3s are?

I am also running E3s and so far they do have an easier start so it seems ? And that was -20 but had my block heater plugged in , Too much salt here so it will sit for awhile. Lets us know how your E3s are?

I've put about 400 miles on my E3s and they have been doing great. Car just passed emissions ( 50/50 mix ) with flying colors :D Monoxide was like 10% of allowable ;)

I will more than likely run these in the GN when she comes out of hibernation.

Why are you running a 50/50 mix just wondering? . I have 3/4 e85 1/4 93 just for winter starts not like I drive it in the winter ... But

Why are you running a 50/50 mix just wondering?

Running some smaller injectors, not the 83s I had before. ;)
I was going to use the 83s in the GN but found a newer set . So the 83s will be going back in the White car in about 2 weeks

**Update** I've been running the E-3s now for over 800 miles. The plugs work very well, no complaints. I've been @ 22-23 psi with them many times and no issues. And to top it off I've recived a solid 1 MPG from using them.

There has been some speculation that the E-3 plugs might help with cold starts but it doesnt get cold enough long enough here to test.

I have to say it does start easier with E3s , Not sure about MPG yet? And believe me it gets cold here.:biggrin:

The E3s are turning out to be awesome plugs for my White car. No issues whatsoever. I will run them on the GN which will be a 100% E-85 car and I'll test again with higher boost levels on that car.

White car sees 22 psi @ 18 deg right now as a daily driver.

How long do you think these plugs will live? They say 100,000 miles but what do you think? Any signs of wear ?

I thought I would give the e3's a shot...ordered them and got them, but they seem like they are pregapped at .042...is there anyway to gap these things :confused:

edited: very odd that they don't show a gap on sparkplugs.com like they do for every other set of plugs

I don't think you can, I have them on my car and still
perform great.:D

which ones the E3 .42's?...Seems a little nutty to have a .42 gap..of course I'm only guessing its .42 since you can't get the gapper in there...I'll have to check with a feeler gauge if that fits