Dynomax Mufflers

pwrsix

Does anyone have Dynomax Ultraflow SS mufflers on their GN? If you do, could you give some feedback.

what feed back do you want?

I just put a set of stainless steel ultraflows on my car last week. They are very quiet, so if you want louder.. buy something else.

The ultraflows and race magnum (ultraflow welded) are just about the same muffler, one stainless and one not.

I'd put them up against anyone's muffler in flow for a turbo car.

I have always used the Ultra Flow SS on my trucks and they sound great. Not too loud, just right. I have ATR stainless mufflers on my GN and was looking for a sound and performance comparison to the Ultraflow.

I've got the 2.5" version, they drone just fine at 1800 rpm's like the Dynomax Turbo mufflers in non-stainless they replaced.

They sure do shine good however. :)

Great flowing mufflers and well made in stainless.

Good choice, not that quiet, not obnoxious either. :smile:

Dead cat. here. ;)

The 3" should have a deeper mellower tone which should be better, I have the ATR stainless 3" crossflow on the GN and prefer that sound but it's a different system too.

I have a Dynomax Ultraflow on my car, though it's not stainless steel, it's aluminized.

I also have a single 3 inch straight shot exhaust coming off the 3 inch downpipe.

The exhaust resonates or "drones" like a set of Flowmasters does/would do.

However the muffler flows very well....Dynomax calls it "the next best thing to an open header but quieter". You can actually look thru one end and see out the other. Smooth perforated tube.

Had them, [2.5"], on the stage car. Dyno'd w/cutout closed and open. Open = +3RWHP.
Not too quiet. [I suscribe to the theory that "loud pipes save lives"....]

Its funny that some claim they are quiet and others think they are louder. I have a few friends with them, and they are definitely quieter than my ATR pitbulls. I prefer the ultraflows but thats because I like a quiet fast car. They do drone slightly like most do at low rpm cruising speeds but they are better than most I've heard.

Its funny that some claim they are quiet and others think they are louder. I have a few friends with them, and they are definitely quieter than my ATR pitbulls. I prefer the ultraflows but thats because I like a quiet fast car. They do drone slightly like most do at low rpm cruising speeds but they are better than most I've heard.

ATR Pitbulls rule!:cool:

ATR Pitbulls rule!:cool:
I've got a set of brand new stainless 18"ers still in ATR pitbull boxes if anyone is interested.
Only opend by me.
I have been offered $430 already, yes i'm gonna be greedy on these...
oh i also have a set of ATR Stainless headers new still in the box...has the external wastegate co*k...with block off plate for internal gate use:biggrin: ...pm if interested

I've got a set of brand new stainless 18"ers still in ATR pitbull boxes if anyone is interested.
Only opend by me.
I have been offered $430 already, yes i'm gonna be greedy on these...
oh i also have a set of ATR Stainless headers new still in the box...has the external wastegate co*k...with block off plate for internal gate use:biggrin: ...pm if interested

Those mufflers are worth every penny. I have had them on all 3 of my TR's over the years. They sound meaner than any other muffler. It makes my GN sound like no other car on the road.

I have a set of 2.5 inch bullet race magnums on my buick and a set of welded race magnums on my 63 Impala SS. even with the major engine setup differences they are very quiet when cruising ( no drone and sounds clean ) and when you get on it in both cars they sound raspy but not over the top. I leave the loud part to my exhaust cut outs. the welded race magnums have a VERY strong case wich is good for my impala because they take a beating being so low to the ground. I went with bullets on the buick because i could mount them in a non stock position without being to low/having restricting bends in the pipe. Both sound the same to me. dont forget hese are considered glasspacks rather than chambered so they flow ALOT more. I think the 2.5 inch bullets are at least 1000cfm and maybe 11somthing where as somthing chambered like a flowmaster 40 is like 450 CFM. if you want loud get chambered if you want quiet off the throttle along with horsepower and a good note when acceleration get a glasspack like the welded or bullet race magnums.

Most perforated tube muffs flow about the same. However, I do remember a comparison test or add that showed that the dynomax out flowed almost everything else (major brands). This is why i've always personally chosen the dynomax's. The magnaflows are slightly louder. The edelbrocks are slightly louder than them. The atr's are louder than all.

There are many variations that will affect drone:

size of pipes
are they dumped underneath the car or pipes out back
camshaft
turbo turbine housing
weather or not you're running an enclosed air filter (kenne bell/atr)

I wonder how the Ultraflows differ from Flowmasters at the track. Has anyone tested this?

Most perforated tube muffs flow about the same. However, I do remember a comparison test or add that showed that the dynomax out flowed almost everything else (major brands). This is why i've always personally chosen the dynomax's. The magnaflows are slightly louder. The edelbrocks are slightly louder than them. The atr's are louder than all.

There are many variations that will affect drone:

size of pipes
are they dumped underneath the car or pipes out back
camshaft
turbo turbine housing
weather or not you're running an enclosed air filter (kenne bell/atr)[/QUOTE]

That has an effect on the exhaust sound?

I have a single 3" Ultra Flow and I like it. Here is the link Dynomax Performance 17221 - Walker Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com . It is reasonablely quiet in the car and at cruising speeds. And will make some noise when you crack it. But by no means a stocker. Plus it has a tone. My buddy had dual 3" bullets on his and it was obnoxious. The tone never changed, it just got louder. And had the ackkk sound to it, if you know what mean.

I personally prefere using the three muffler system with two Ultra-flows in the normal loaction and the third (a Ultra-flow CROSS FLOW) muffler in the stock location (behind the rear end) This is the ONLY system that will eliminate drone. Folks, I have used about every kind of muffler out there over the years and they ALL have noticable drone at 1800-2200 rpm. IF you think your mufflers don't drone, take a ride in a turbo buick with three mufflers on it and then tell me your car doesn't drone.;) Search "three muffler system" and you can see the pictures. It is a difficult system to fab, but well worth the effort. Dennis Hogan came up with the idea and had it fabbed. His car ran 1.28@134+ mph in 2.5" three muffler system. His StageII car ran 9.16 @ 149 through 3" three muffler system. No performance loss running these mufflers. On the chassis dyno it gained 6 (six) HP with it un corked. (stageII car).

I use the three muffler system with two ATRs in the normal location and the third (a Ultra-flow CROSS FLOW) muffler in the stock location (behind the rear end) This system eliminates drone.