dual fans install?

pitoturbo

just got dual fans just wondering on the instalation any pro'or con's on brakets i need some info thanks pete

Hey!
I recently did a search and found a post by "murphster", there are about a million ways to install but I did it like his;
Basically, you:
1.) Remove the 4 mounting tabs from the new fans, a hacksaw works great, I put it face down and used the edge of the shroud to guide the blade. The plastic is very easy to cut (takes less than 2 minutes total)
2.) Remove the bottom bracket from the original fan (you'll reuse it in a minute)
3.) Install new fans (they will probably fit right in between the tanks), plug in harness.
4.)Take the bottom bracket, flip it over, and mount it along w/ the a/c line brackets at the top of the radiator. The bracket will trap the top of the fans and snug 'em down holding everything in place.
The whole thing took me about 10 minutes total, probably less.
(I spent most of the time seating the fans in properly)
Double-check by turning on the A/C and the fans should kick-in.
My temps didn't get over 170* (w/ a 60* stat) and we have ridiculously high humidity and temps down here.
Hope that helps!
Darrell

Originally posted by rev. 3:11
Hey!
I recently did a search and found a post by "murphster", there are about a million ways to install but I did it like his;
Basically, you:
1.) Remove the 4 mounting tabs from the new fans, a hacksaw works great, I put it face down and used the edge of the shroud to guide the blade. The plastic is very easy to cut (takes less than 2 minutes total)
2.) Remove the bottom bracket from the original fan (you'll reuse it in a minute)
3.) Install new fans (they will probably fit right in between the tanks), plug in harness.
4.)Take the bottom bracket, flip it over, and mount it along w/ the a/c line brackets at the top of the radiator. The bracket will trap the top of the fans and snug 'em down holding everything in place.
The whole thing took me about 10 minutes total, probably less.
(I spent most of the time seating the fans in properly)
Double-check by turning on the A/C and the fans should kick-in.
My temps didn't get over 170* (w/ a 60* stat) and we have ridiculously high humidity and temps down here.
Hope that helps!
Darrell

Great quick write-up. I will order them today because I think the special ends tonight. Does the spending stop? I have owned the car since 6/10 and have driven it less than 40 miles, but have added 2K in parts. :D

One quick question.. do the new fans have that white plug in connector thing already on the back of them or do you need to transfer your stocker to it? I'm talking about the rectangular piece about 3 inches long that has wires coming from it that attaches to the fan.

I called Caspers up and they made me an adapter plug to go from the dual white plug to the stock black single plug. worked slick. no splicing.

If this is the Ramchargers dual fan, note the cable adapter they sell will only operate the 2-speed fan at its Low speed. (at least, that's how it used to be about 6 months ago).

A simple change to the wire adapter, will operate the fans at their high speed.

I just need to know if it has the piece on the new fans already. My piece on my stock fan overheated and cracked because my fan got jammed against the shroud and wouldn't spin.

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
do the new fans have that white plug in connector thing already on the back of them or do you need to transfer your stocker to it? I'm talking about the rectangular piece about 3 inches long that has wires coming from it that attaches to the fan.
On the stock 86-87 fans, that component is most likely a ceramic power resistor. It's placed in series with the fan motor to create the Low speed. High speed applies full battery voltage to the motor, whereas Low speed drops part of the voltage across this power resistor.

The Ramchargers dual fan (if that's what you're using) doesn't require a voltage dropping resistor. The motors have both a high and low speed winding built-in.

You *do* need a cable adapter for the new fans -- the new fan and the old car have totally diffferent electric connectors.

I bought the Ramcharger set-up w/ the adapter (I think it was a special buy the fans get the adapter free deal) I plugged it into the fans then installed and into the wiring harness. I think it bypasses the resistor by just deleting the center connection on the adapter, its empty, but my fans blow on high I believe. We have a heat index here in Houston of about 108* today (high 90's actual) and I went out around noon and the temp topped out at 172*!:D

mine sure work good too. I can drive my car at any speed with the a/c on with that big ol front mount and never see 200. they really pull allot of air!

Thanks Tom. That's what I was trying to find out. Yes, I ordered the Ramchargers dual fan kit w/ free adaptor. Now I have to wait on it to be delivered. With my front mount and old radiator I saw temps as high as 226 at idle while sitting still. Hope fully these fans will bring that on down. I have to check on my thermostat because the guy who rebuilt the engine put a stock thermostat in first after I specifically specified a 160. He said he went back and put a 160 thermostat in but I want to see it myself to be sure. I watched my Scanmaster the other day and temps didn't start dropping until they reached 181 on the SM.

OneLethal87GN -

And as mentioned above, the standard Ramchargers wiring harness adapter will Only operate the fans at Low speed (under ECM control).

If you find that's not providing enough cooling, a simple wiring change to the adapter will run the fans at high speed.

The modification would require you to remove one of the pins from the stock electrical connector, from the old fan (so don't throw away that old fan yet!).

There's some older threads that describe the modification.

Well, my stock ceramic connector thing burnt up and cracked due to my shroud pressing down on the fan and not allowing it to spin freely. I am going to wire up the high speed fan switch in my car when I get the time to do it. I just hope I remember to turn it off and on when I drive it.:D

r.c. fans

I,too just ordered the fans on the special. If it's not too late you can add a 160 thermostat from them for about $9 Hurry because you cannot get one at a local autoparts store. One way to tell what kind of stat you have now is to remove the radiator cap,start the car cold and watch when the circulation starts. Putting your finger in will tell you when it opens. Tommy

We opted to get rid of the Valeo connector as some people have had problems with them overheating. The replacement Delphi connector we supply is much beefier. This connector also allows people to use our harness with other fan's such as Flexlite, Spal etc.
Our harness will work with single 1/2 speed fans or dual fans.

We use dedicated fuses for each circuit vs. a fusible link for serviceability.