do i have a boost leak?

menace848

Yeah, Im the slow GN, so?
I went to the track last weekend for the first time and I could only get 15 psi from the turbo?!? I got the WG for free, and the peice that connects to the turbo, the one that moves left to right, will only go right to a certain point until it gets stuck. That certain point=15 psi. I didnt install it either, is there something that has to be done when installing the wastegate in order to get >15? Please help as I had 0 knock on 92 octane!

will a new WG come with a new wastegate flapper? the part that moves left to right depending on where you turn the rod to. Because thats the reason I cant get >15 lbs out of it

You should be able to cut the rod down some which sould give you more boost.

no i thought your waste gate was bad you need a new stock down pipe somethings binding in their have you tried taking the waste gate off the turbo? :confused:

Originally posted by menace848
will a new WG come with a new wastegate flapper? the part that moves left to right depending on where you turn the rod to. Because thats the reason I cant get >15 lbs out of it

I believe that is a whole other story your flapper is connected to your DP which stays closed until the desired boost level is met. Then it opens when releasing throttle allowing the pressure to be released through the DP out of the exhaust. It sounds like your flapper is stuck, in which you will probably have to do some metal grinding and **** like that. Some of the other guys will tap in, im not sure i worded that right, but gave it my best.

jojo

I have an aftermarket 3" ATR downpipe, installed by southeast turbo, not me.

you make the arm on the adj waste gate shorter to get more boost not longer just checking:eek:

yeah i know that! what im saying is that 15 psi is the highest the boost will go, and that is the shortest the wastegate can go, i can turn it as much as i want, but the flapper peice that the WG pole or whatever attaches to wont move to the right anymore than that!:mad:

if the flapper was stuck open, i dont think he'd be able to build 15psi, if it was stuck closed the boost would be completely off the wall. thats just my thought on that?

One possibility (among others) is that the puck is not sealing. You say you have shortened the rod, so I assume it is tough for you to attach it, you have to pull it pretty hard. If you extend the rod by one turn, does it still make 15 lbs or does it go down? Is it slow to spool?

You need to consider other items, like control hose routing, solenoid, leaky IC/hoses, etc.