Converting my 86 Limited to a GN clone

So I bought my regal a week or so ago. My plan is to make it a GN clone but I wanted to get some opinions on a few things first. I would be coming from a 305 so it would be going from carb to FI. I am no novice to mechanic work but I am not a master tech either. I have never done a carb to FI conversion before and some people are saying its difficult while others say it should be easy. I'd like more opinions on how easy it is.
I know that I need the engine, tranny, ECM, harnesses and fuel tank w/sending unit.
What else do I need? the fuel and vapor lines?

My biggest question is would it be worth it to do the conversion?
To me it's more about making it a GN clone than making a fast Regal since I have been a fan of them so long. However, I don't want to spend a long time fighting with it either.

Sell it to someone wanting a base for an LS conversion.:D Then, take the $$, and buy a GN.................

Sell it to someone wanting a base for an LS conversion.:D Then, take the $$, and buy a GN.................

Well I bought the car for 800 bucks and the condition its in its not really worth a lot more than that. So the money I would get out of it wouldn't even be close to getting a GN.
Not to mention a GN that is actually nice and I wouldn't have to dump 10 grand in to have it like new on top of the 5-6 grand i bought it for.

To me it's more about making it a GN clone than making a fast Regal since I have been a fan of them so long. However, I don't want to spend a long time fighting with it either.[/quote]

Trust me you will be fighting with it.

I have never done a carb to FI conversion before and some people are saying its difficult while others say it should be easy. I'd like more opinions on how easy it is.
I know that I need the engine, tranny, ECM, harnesses and fuel tank w/sending unit.
What else do I need? the fuel and vapor lines?

My biggest question is would it be worth it to do the conversion?
To me it's more about making it a GN clone than making a fast Regal since I have been a fan of them so long. However, I don't want to spend a long time fighting with it either.

Well before ya do anything get a BIG sheet of paper and list the parts and the cost. Swap is easy to do especially if ya have a parts car to transfer the parts from. Piecing this car together will be a $$$$$ pit !! AND when your done it's just a clone with a lot of time and $$$$$ thrown into it.

For me this was a fun project. I've owned over a dozen turbo Regals. I learned alot more about the cars by comparing the turbo parts to the non-turbo parts

My conversion was on an 86 Limited with the 307 VIN Y engine. I swapped in a 3.8 VIN 7 engine, trans and 8.5 rear axle. This is not a small project!!!!

It took me most of one Winter to complete the conversion. If you are going to do it "right", it involves removing the front clip and the body from the frame. I did this to install the correct Inner wheel wells on the front sheet metal and fuel, vapor and return lines on the frame. (lines can be bought from Inline Tube).
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
The AC case needs to be swapped, and every harness in the car changed. You will be removing the steering column and the entire dash.

None of the work is difficult, but it it extensive. Now some guys will tell you that I didn't need to go that far, just run flexible fuel lines and bypass a circuit here or there.......which is all true. But when I was done, I had a true clone (that's an oxymoron isn't it?). The only discernible difference between a factory built turbo and my car was the 8th digit in the VIN plate.

If you are going to attempt this project, find a 86-87 donor car. A donor car will cost you a minimum of $3000. But you will save money in the long run. The parts add up FAST when you start looking for all the necessary items.

My 2 cents...When i did my conversion i found a complete drive train...motor,trans,rear,w/harness... 10yrs. back it was 3g's..today, idunno. Traded my 350 engine for an aftermarket intercooler. A close friend and Buick tech made me get a GN/T-type dash(250.00 from G-body Parts). If you dont know your way around a GN,there may be some pain,probably, knowing all the sensor and plumbing hookups. I was lucky in that we both worked at a Buick dealer all through the 80's and 90's so we knew the GN's very well. I ran an aftermarket Bosch external f/pump, kept as low as possible, and never had an issue with starvation. You will need t o allow $250. for a scan-master ( a 100% must) to monitor and make sensor adjustments. If you search around you can pick up bits and pieces for cheap. You can do it! ;)

Man, lots of great feedback. I was starting to get depressed thinking it was an unreachable goal but seeing other people that have done it gives me a little hope back. I have been a mechanic for around 8 years and my buddy has been one for about 20. He actually owns a scanmaster already and has worked on a lot of GN in the past. Although it has been a few years he says (6-7). I was thinking a donor car would be a lot of help in this situation and I am looking for one. Like I said I just got the car and it is a project. It will take me a few years to finish it but I will be building it with my son so its worth the time. The car is not in good shape at all. Like I said I bought it for 800 bucks so you can only imagine. I plan on taking most if not all of the wiring out regardless of what project i do. Also, going to take out the column since it has a column shifter and I will be cutting out a space for a floor shifter. I already had plans on getting a 8.5 rear end so a lot of what I want kind of fell into the GN scheme.

What is it that makes this such a PITA? is it going from carb to FI or is it going from carb to FI trying to make it a GN clone?

I forgot to mention that I will be taking the body off the frame since it has very little/minor frame damage. I actually dont HAVE to fix the damage since it still drives straight but I want it done for my sake. Another thing that will kind of line up with doing this project. More feedback is greatly appreciated!

Keep it carb and go blow thru! screw all the hassel of the regular GN build.... i got a simular build going on right now and it cn be done easily an cheaply!

TH350 and a buick 3.8

There is one catch.......... there is no room for AC.... Barely any for power steering.... and thats only because the goal is to be cheap! It could be done to have them all, but it cost money!

I live in TX... No AC is a bad idea. Although I wouldn't be driving it every day the one time I want to drive it during summer mid day I would regret it. If i was staying carb i was considering a 455 but I know very little about that engine.
Currently I have a 305 with a turbo 350 in it.

I live in TX... No AC is a bad idea. Although I wouldn't be driving it every day the one time I want to drive it during summer mid day I would regret it. If i was staying carb i was considering a 455 but I know very little about that engine.
Currently I have a 305 with a turbo 350 in it.

I live in New Mexico.... 110* here in the summer..... but im used to no AC in the summer.... and i can live without AC for some import ass whoopin.

just somethng to consider.

WW7pVSS8d.jpg

I live in New Mexico.... 110* here in the summer..... but im used to no AC in the summer.... and i can live without AC for some import ass whoopin.

just somethng to consider.

Damn, I am used to the heat but I love AC. Your a braver man than I, New Mexico is hotter than here most of the time. I will put it on the list of potential projects though.

>"What is it that makes this such a PITA?"< It has to ALL be correct..not close....but 100% right or you will be chasing engine lights and electrical gremlins til you way too pissed off to even look at it!