Cold air intake - question

Vector

It seems that a simple K&N cone filter is what many believe is a "cold air intake."
Is that correct? Have I been fooling myself that a cold air intake is more than just an aftermarket air filter?

many think CAI is just a cone KN filter on the stock tube....thats not CAI....CAI is having the intake source ( aka filter) relocated to a colder area ( fender well, bumper area etc etc.) to pull COLD air into the engine for combustion. In the 3800 II models you can get CAI boxes which protect the air being pulled in from being heat soaked ( intense, slp, wizaired, thrasher etc etc). mine for example is in the drivers fender , to get colder air.

you are right many people think a new filter and tube on the car is CAI....they are wrong

kellygtp said:
many think CAI is just a cone KN filter on the stock tube....thats not CAI....CAI is having the intake source ( aka filter) relocated to a colder area ( fender well, bumper area etc etc.) to pull COLD air into the engine for combustion. In the 3800 II models you can get CAI boxes which protect the air being pulled in from being heat soaked ( intense, slp, wizaired, thrasher etc etc). mine for example is in the drivers fender , to get colder air.

you are right many people think a new filter and tube on the car is CAI....they are wrong

Kellygtp - you said it real well. I wonder if all those people who take off there CAI systems as installed from the factory understand that cold air is more dense that hot air and that there engines will now make less horsepower than what the factory installed ? (at least with a tube / air filter in the engine compartment)

David