CCW Wheels

Eric's front spring weight is 450lbs. But the the secret is in the Correct Tire Size, bump stop and the stock spindles..

SW.

Scott - don't take any of this negatively from me. I am excited for you and can't wait to see how they work out for you.

The 450# spring rate, stock spindles, and the fact that a 255/35/18 is only 25 inches tall all helps. What brakes are you going to run? I think the Baer brakes add 1/8 inch to the front track on each side.

What bump stops are you going to run? I have the S10 Xtreme ones.

Get them on so we can see come pics!!!!

Scott - don't take any of this negatively from me. I am excited for you and can't wait to see how they work out for you.

The 450# spring rate, stock spindles, and the fact that a 255/35/18 is only 25 inches tall all helps. What brakes are you going to run? I think the Baer brakes add 1/8 inch to the front track on each side.

What bump stops are you going to run? I have the S10 Xtreme ones.

Get them on so we can see come pics!!!!
Rob,
Not taking any of this Negatively at all..

Eric has said for a long time that running any front tire wheel combo above a 25" tall will usually result in rubbing. Eric has done a TON of home work and knows what works and what don't. He also knows all about the droped spindles and got rid of them because he got sick of having the tires rub.

He had me look up your front spring weight and your Moog 5658's are 579lbs compared to his 450lbs. So his has quite a bit more movement and still no rubbing. The Key is to NOT go more than a 25" tall combo up front along with keeping the STOCK spindle without modifications. Eric mentioned that modifying the front spindles will also push the front tire outwards doing the same thing as a B-body or drop spindle, so when the wheel is pushed outward it moves the tire into the arched area of the inner wheel well causing it to rub easier. The Taller tire makes this Worse..

Can't wait to install these too!! lol

SW.

Rob,
Not taking any of this Negatively at all..

Eric has said for a long time that running any front tire wheel combo above a 25" tall will usually result in rubbing. Eric has done a TON of home work and knows what works and what don't. He also knows all about the droped spindles and got rid of them because he got sick of having the tires rub.

He had me look up your front spring weight and your Moog 5658's are 579lbs compared to his 450lbs. So his has quite a bit more movement and still no rubbing. The Key is to NOT go more than a 25" tall combo up front along with keeping the STOCK spindle without modifications. Eric mentioned that modifying the front spindles will also push the front tire outwards doing the same thing as a B-body or drop spindle, so when the wheel is pushed outward it moves the tire into the arched area of the inner wheel well causing it to rub easier. The Taller tire makes this Worse..

Can't wait to install these too!! lol

SW.

Thanks Scott. The only modification to my front spindles by Baer was redrilling some holes to mount their bracket to hold the PBR calipers.

The 25 inch tall tire is key. When I dropped down to my 235/45/17s (25.3 inch diameter versus 25.7 for my 245/45/17s) all my rubbing problems disappeared. I may even drop my down another 1/4 inch in the front...guess I need to look into coil overs like Eric has, as I hate swapping springs in and out.

In regards to the Moogs being a 568 pound spring - they sure don't feel any stiffer than the stock springs. I bet Eric's coil overs are stiffer than my springs.

Now get off the bulletin board and your keyboard and go out and get those wheels on the car so we can see some pics!!!!

Also (off topic) - if you remember I called you about living in your area and taking a job for the National Park Service. They still have not made an announcement on who they have selected, so that is still up in the air. Moved back to Texas in the mean time.

Rob

Scot,

I tried Toyo Proxis tires a couple years ago & they could NOT be driven in the rain.
I don't know if they have been improved or not. I spun 360* twice on a wet road & now run Nittos.

Scot,

I tried Toyo Proxis tires a couple years ago & they could NOT be driven in the rain.
I don't know if they have been improved or not. I spun 360* twice on a wet road & now run Nittos.

i have had Toyo T1Rs on my car for over 5 years and drive a lot [not in the rain but a lot] my car sees rain once a year [on the HotRod Power Tour:mad: ;)] and i dont have any issues with traction.... i'm sure if i hammered it goin around a corner i could spin out, but under "normal" driving and "normal" boost shouldnt be an issue.

Scott, I am very excited for you and I do hope it works out.......really I do man. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......... I think your going to have problems. They will work at stock ride height with fairly stiff springs. Most aftermarket brake kits push the wheel out 3/8". I shredded a 245 with my combo and had to drop to a 225. My wheels are 8" wide with a 4.5 bs and C5 brakes which push the wheel out 3/8" so compare the two. I am low though, about as low as one can go and still keep ride quality, fron end geometery, and no rubs.

Your wheel with your stock brakes are going to be out 7/8" farther than mine did. Your tire is 4/10 wider and almost 3/8 taller to the fender.

Dont go too low and use a high spring rate and you'll be ok but it's really limiting you on any future upgrades. (brakes, lowering)

On another note, I know with that BS and width on the rear you'll be ok but it's going to sit out enough that they wont tuck. So.....thats going to limit how low you go in the rear as well.

In my honest opinion, I wouldnt use those wheels man. I really hate to say but I have too. I really really hope I'm wrong because I truly want the best for you.:redface:

Scott, I am very excited for you and I do hope it works out.......really I do man. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......... I think your going to have problems. They will work at stock ride height with fairly stiff springs. Most aftermarket brake kits push the wheel out 3/8". I shredded a 245 with my combo and had to drop to a 225. My wheels are 8" wide with a 4.5 bs and C5 brakes which push the wheel out 3/8" so compare the two. I am low though, about as low as one can go and still keep ride quality, fron end geometery, and no rubs.

Your wheel with your stock brakes are going to be out 7/8" farther than mine do. Your tire is 4/10 wider and almost 3/4 taller.

Dont go too low and use a high spring rate and you'll be ok but it's really limiting you on any future upgrades. (brakes, lowering)

On another note, I know with that BS and width on the rear you'll be ok but it's going to sit out enough that they wont tuck. So.....thats going to limit how low you go in the rear as well.

In my honest opinion, I wouldnt use those wheels man. I really hate to say but I have too. I really really hope I'm wrong because I truly want the best for you.:redface:
Jeremy,
I really respect your advise but did you not see the fact that Eric (Xcessiv) already has this very same set up on his GN with NO ISSUES? SO what your trying to tell me is that these wheels & tires will NOT WORK on my car when these SAME ones are already working FINE on Eric's 86 GN??

I guess I'm Kind of confused here because I have personally seen his car, seen the tire size and drove his car and threw it into some pretty serious turns here in the mountains and the car handles and drives GREAT! NO RUBBING!!

Eric is working with me on this application that is IDENTICAL to his and your saying "IT WON'T WORK?" ... So when someone asks you your advice on YOUR set up would you feel comfortable having them put the same thing on there car? YES right? Well I feel pretty comfortable knowing Eric knows what he's talking about and the fact that I'VE SEEN THESE ON HIS CAR WORKING FINE.

PS: I'm not some dummy who just bought tires WITHOUT doing the proper research and measuring first!! ;) As a matter of fact Because you say they WON
T FIT and I SHOULDN'T USE THEM pushes me to show you they can!! Why I have to do this is CRAZY when there is ALREADY A CAR WITH THEM ON IT!! :rolleyes: You would think after SHOWING pictures of them already on a car you would see that they WILL FIT!!! :mad: You know, Talking about these wheels fitting on a car is one thing, But SEEING them already on a car for Years is Another!

NOW I KNOW HOW ERIC FEELS WHEN PEOPLE SAY THEY WON'T WORK WHEN HE'S DRIVING AROUND WITH THEM ON HIS CAR!!

IS THIS CAR CHOPPED LIVER? OR DO YOU THINK HE'S LYING? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSE_09-15-2008_086.jpg
    DSE_09-15-2008_086.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,856
  • IMG_5522__Medium_.JPG
    IMG_5522__Medium_.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,743
Sweeeet

Those are hot scott cannot wait till you get them on your car hope everything works out I know it will as you always do your home work and you deserve them as you are always there to help your friends and always giving it up for thoese in need should be like on a rail in those mountains I'll pass on a ride as I like my lunch.LOL;)

Well, I have met all of you guys (scot w., jd and Aaron "Royal-T-Ltd" Corn).
JD did do a nice job breaking out the cheese grater and shredding his tire.:eek:
Royal-T-Ltd. is too busy buying more gold items for his ALREADY gold car.:biggrin:
Scot is just a crazy man that has 5,000 things running through his mind at once.:tongue:
All in all I was in the same boat as Scot is with the 11 inch rears I put on my car with NO NOTCH. I then chose to get the rims narrowed an inch to tuck in my fender wells. I didn't post anything about my decision because everyone will have their opinion. What I say is if you have the money and want to spend it and push the envelope "GO FOR IT"!

The TOYO's do work good as far as I have seen. Royal-T-Ltd spun less than me on the track with his LOOOOW 13 second BLLLAAAST!

Eric's car has the exact same Rim's, Tires, size as mine and his car is lowered with springs with NO RUBBING! It's working fine on his so I hope for the same..

SW.

The one thing I do know is that these cars are All different. I am sure you will make it work. I wish you the Best of Luck :biggrin:

Those wheels are Amazing. (as is Eric's car too) !!
Can't wait to see the pics. on the car :cool:

The one thing I do know is that these cars are All different. I am sure you will make it work. I wish you the Best of Luck :biggrin:

Those wheels are Amazing. (as is Eric's car too) !!
Can't wait to see the pics. on the car :cool:
These cars being all different is correct to a certian point, I can tell you that the suspension on these cars don't vary THAT MUCH to where these wheels wouldn't work. And with the Same exact size as Eric's and the clearence measured on his, there should be No problem. I just Hate when people pass up the fact of looking at pictures with this Wheel size & Tire size already on a car and say " That won't work"!!! It's OBVIOUS that It DOES work when this set up has been on someones car for 4 years. Maybe IF people payed attention to what Eric has been saying for all those years guy's wouldn't be shreading there tires!! ;)

These WILL work and I will be really happy to post the pictures with them on. On top of that i'm even going to through it around the Auto-x course to check for rub. Not just street driving!!

Oh and Jeremy, Don't worry about the rear tire Not tucking in the wheel well, I plan on installing Original GNX flares! There is a method to my madness!!! :)

Stay tuned!

SW.

Jeremy,
I really respect your advise but did you not see the fact that Eric (Xcessiv) already has this very same set up on his GN with NO ISSUES? SO what your trying to tell me is that these wheels & tires will NOT WORK on my car when these SAME ones are already working FINE on Eric's 86 GN??

I guess I'm Kind of confused here because I have personally seen his car, seen the tire size and drove his car and threw it into some pretty serious turns here in the mountains and the car handles and drives GREAT! NO RUBBING!!

Eric is working with me on this application that is IDENTICAL to his and your saying "IT WON'T WORK?" ... So when someone asks you your advice on YOUR set up would you feel comfortable having them put the same thing on there car? YES right? Well I feel pretty comfortable knowing Eric knows what he's talking about and the fact that I'VE SEEN THESE ON HIS CAR WORKING FINE.

PS: I'm not some dummy who just bought tires WITHOUT doing the proper research and measuring first!! ;) As a matter of fact Because you say they WON
T FIT and I SHOULDN'T USE THEM pushes me to show you they can!! Why I have to do this is CRAZY when there is ALREADY A CAR WITH THEM ON IT!! :rolleyes: You would think after SHOWING pictures of them already on a car you would see that they WILL FIT!!! :mad: You know, Talking about these wheels fitting on a car is one thing, But SEEING them already on a car for Years is Another!

NOW I KNOW HOW ERIC FEELS WHEN PEOPLE SAY THEY WON'T WORK WHEN HE'S DRIVING AROUND WITH THEM ON HIS CAR!!

IS THIS CAR CHOPPED LIVER? OR DO YOU THINK HE'S LYING? :rolleyes:

Ok, well apparently Im a moron so I'll butt the F*ck out.

Ok, well apparently Im a moron so I'll butt the F*ck out.
Nobody is saying that at all Jeremy, Your just questioning a set up that is already on a car and works with NO Notching, Stock spindles and lowered. I don't get it..

SW.

LOL Yeah now, Add $ for the all locking Black lugs...
Add $ for the brushed anodized black center caps..
And shipping!!! :eek: :eek: :( But when they arrive = :biggrin:

SW.

Scott,

I am going to be living vicariously through you for a while!