Can the factory wastegate be modded for a TE turbo?

Adrian87

Is the size of the puck the only difference between a stock turbo setup and a TE turbo? I have a TE62 that I will install this week and need to know what to do.

the stock WG puck should fit unless the exh housing has had its WG hole enlargened. the WG bracket that holds it to the compressor housing is what needs to be modified to fit a TE series turbo. i dont know how to mod it but i know it has to be done.

Ok it looks like the hole has been enlarged then because I don't think the stock puck will cover that hole..can I make/weld a larger puck on the end of that and use that?

yes you can weld a larger puck onto the stock elbow to cover that hole- as long as the hole is smaller than the bigger pucks available...

i posted in your other thread, but you need to measure the size of that hole and let us know how big it is- if it was ported for the ATR external wastegate, then your screwed, and will have to either buy a new housing, or a down pipe, or get that hole welded smaller and then planed... PITA to get it welded,drilled and planed.

get us the size of the hole please:)

The only thing I had to do to make my stock wastegate fit my TE-60 was to use the middle hole instead of the 2 outer holes to bolt it to the compressor side. I do hope you made your stocker adjustable though. The new angle it will be at will most likely affect your boost level.

Thanks for the info guys,
Brian: I will measure that hole today, we just got the motor pulled out yesterday afternoon...wait til you see the pics!!!

hole in oil pan
wrist pin hanging out of it
cam in 3 pieces
some parts of it in the oil pan
lifters, pushrods, and the #4 rod in 3 pieces in the pan
main cap
etc

real nice mess I made...I'll have some digital pics up soon :eek:

Brian: I don't have much internet access right now but if you happen to have a spare minute, maybe call me at 870 530 0180 and I'll call you back so it doesn't cost you long distance, I'd just like to get a little info from you if you have the time. This is my first real total engine redo and I'd like to get it right the first time. This is sort of a complex car to be doing my first time but we're doing pretty well.

ok the hole has been enlarged a little
it is 1 1/4 inches diameter and the puck seems to be 1 inch diameter
is there any way you could overnight me that puck or tell me how i could get one locally?
ill pay for everything obviously, if you could call me at 870 530 0180 id appreciate it

anyone have any ideas?

thanks.

i know you might loose my numbers so here they are again-

913 888 4899 hm
816 215 4679 cell

i will be at the track tonight, so call my cell and leave me your phone numbers a few times so i can write em down since it will be so loud-

after the phone conversation we just had, i think it was a good thing i got ahold of you before you dropped the engine in huh? :D

call me if you need anything else

BRYAN

BW