Cam Sync Fault

sackracing

Staff member
Getting a cam sync fault whan I cold start it. Idles like crap around 500 rpm till coolant gets to 160+ then it smooths out and I can restart it with no fault.

sync btdc is in the 90s, jumps to high 80s and low 100s

sync flag toggling between 1 and 0

sync btdc is in the 90s, jumps to high 80s and low 100s

sync flag toggling between 1 and 0

95 would mean your cam sensor is set at 25*, so something is moving it around, normally mine will vary by 1-2* at the most. check the cam sensor isnt moving around

i would verify its set correctly, then tighten it up and see if it still moves around

OK so your Balancer is out 2 degrees, not too bad. Cam sync should be pretty close to 95. Did you check if the tab was broken inside?

I'll pull it out tomorrow and check. The sensor itself is tight, I just checked that.

how old is the cam sensor? see if it has much endplay (pull up on it). It might be time for a new one.

How old is the timing chain? What kind of chain is it?

Bob

since the cam phasing that the xfi is reporting is just a comparison between the crank sensor and the cam sensor, if the reading is jumping around it must be an issue with either the cam sensor or the crank sensor.

It might make sense to pull the balancer and verify it was torqued properly and not shifting around.

Bob

We just torqued the balancer, it is for sure tight. Need to check cam sensor and crank sensor tho.

Pull the cam sensor out and make sure your not wearing the gear and causing excessive backlash.