boost flutter at wot along with sputtering

Last year when I ran at Reynolds, I noticed that my boost was fluctuating a lot and just not pulling like it should have. I was fighting some popping also occassionally through the intake. I performed compression and leak down tests and they looked good. I finaly said WTF, and went to a roller system. When we got my cam out, I had 2 worn lobes by appearance at least. The #3 intake and another. After my roller system was in and everything was back together, my boost does not fluctuate anymore and the car pulls like a mule. My sig says enough, a 10.81 with a little ole PT54 turbo.

Good luck and keep us posted.

i hope this is my problem! thanks

no still running like crap!!!! pulling motor and going roller also going over every wire under the hood. what is your car doing?

Mine runs fine at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, but if you give it WOT it hits about 4400 to 4800 rpm and acts like it's hitting a rev limiter. If you rev slowly it will go to 6k no problem...

Mine is NOT related to boost. I turn the boost down to really low boost (10psi max under load) and it does it just as bad as when I have the gate set for 25 psi. I have tried 2 crank sensors, have a pretty new cam sensor, 2 coil pack/modules, and 2 different sets of plugs and it still does it. Got some new wires on the way but i am not thinking that will help.

Leakdown test maybe next, if that's the case she's getting a roller whether my wallet wants one or not!

i hope this is my problem! thanks

You will probably be able to see it when you pull the cam out. We saw 2 rounded lobes when taking the lifters out even.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

What system are you going to run? I get the 212 kit from Cottons. That cam is nice and strong...

Mike

You will probably be able to see it when you pull the cam out. We saw 2 rounded lobes when taking the lifters out even.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

What system are you going to run? I get the 212 kit from Cottons. That cam is nice and strong...

Mike

full throttle's 210/215 x kit

surge

did check wires they are 2yrs old and they ohm out in the 300 ohm range. everything is packed with dielectric grease and my 02 sensor is a new gm purple wire. as far as the chip i didnt get it upgraded yet but i did add 12% in a gears wot. i dont know if this is it but last year i got this te-60 and i new the exhaust wheel was bad. it has 1/4 inch of the outer part of the wheel gone. would this cause my problem? i am ordering a new one this week. before i did the head swap i got a slight sputter at wot but you really couldnt feel it. do you think the heads and intake flowing more air intensified the problem?

On another thread, a well respected, knowledgeable member advised against using dielectric grease.

On another thread, a well respected, knowledgeable member advised against using dielectric grease.

Hmmmmm...

What could be the reasoning to not use dielectric grease? It keeps moisture away and improved electrical connections. I am curious of why.

Mike

Mine runs fine at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, but if you give it WOT it hits about 4400 to 4800 rpm and acts like it's hitting a rev limiter. If you rev slowly it will go to 6k no problem...

Mine is NOT related to boost. I turn the boost down to really low boost (10psi max under load) and it does it just as bad as when I have the gate set for 25 psi. I have tried 2 crank sensors, have a pretty new cam sensor, 2 coil pack/modules, and 2 different sets of plugs and it still does it. Got some new wires on the way but i am not thinking that will help.

Leakdown test maybe next, if that's the case she's getting a roller whether my wallet wants one or not!

sounds like the same problem as me wow!!!!

sounds like the same problem as me wow!!!!

I read your entire thread saying to myself "Holy sh1t this is exactly what's been going on with my car..."

Let me know what you find when you pull the cam. If you find a wiped lobe or two that's what I am looking for next.

I read your entire thread saying to myself "Holy sh1t this is exactly what's been going on with my car..."

Let me know what you find when you pull the cam. If you find a wiped lobe or two that's what I am looking for next.

will do

Any updates?

no updates put the car away!!!! thanks for the interest!!! pulling motor putting in steel caps and roller cam!!! also wideband powerlogger tracking chip. wont know till spring. also bringing intercooler to radiator shop to get pressure tested

Hmmmmm...

What could be the reasoning to not use dielectric grease? It keeps moisture away and improved electrical connections. I am curious of why.

Mike

I believe for the same reason it will also trap moisture to an electrical connection.

well havent pulled the motor for the weber rebiuld yet but started it sunday and the motor ticked for an hour at idle setting the knock sensor up to 15 counts. shut it down well today i started it but only has a sight tick but has a miss like a dead cylinder. try to brake boost it and it sputters and pops with the boost gauge fluttering from off idle to 15 psi in drive at a stand still. does anyone think the cam finally crapped out?

Get it done, lol. Hope it turns out well.
I've got a surging issue too under WOT at anything over 17psi now.

well havent pulled the motor for the weber rebiuld yet but started it sunday and the motor ticked for an hour at idle setting the knock sensor up to 15 counts. shut it down well today i started it but only has a sight tick but has a miss like a dead cylinder. try to brake boost it and it sputters and pops with the boost gauge fluttering from off idle to 15 psi in drive at a stand still. does anyone think the cam finally crapped out?

Just for chit's and giggles take an ohm meter and back probe the wire closest front on the Ign module "P" and ground the other side of the meter. How many ohm's are you seeing?

the cam was bad i had 2 lobes that were worn down around .040 under. heres the thread. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/313642-bad-cam.html

Any updates?
pulled motor and sent to weber racing for a stroker

Just for chit's and giggles take an ohm meter and back probe the wire closest front on the Ign module "P" and ground the other side of the meter. How many ohm's are you seeing?

will try when i get it back in thanks