Bone stock TTA vs WS6. Ever wonder what is faster?

Originally posted by ViciousV6
I bet that was awesome to watch! :D I'd have to leave it up to a driver's race. I've seen many LS1 car trap higher than any factory-stock TTA, but the TTA certainly seem to get out of the hole a lot better. The quality control of the LS1 seems to be very "hit'n'miss". Power output varies a lot on the LS1, from car to car.
Trap speeds don't win 1/4 mile races, ET does and that's why the TTA will win most of the time.

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
Everything else being equal, and the if the TTA is truly 100% factory stock (no "free mods" that can help the boost), then the LS1 is quicker.
Not from the research I've done. In the 1/4 mile the TTA will take the LS1 most of the time. The TTA will have the lower ET and the LS1 will trap higher. The LS1 will be faster but the TTA will be quicker.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
ya'll are making me wish i got a tta
Eh, don't kick yourself too hard. Granted they're a blast to drive but when you compare it to your TR it's;

- Extremely low to the ground
- Has no trunk room
- Isn't as menacing looking
- It's white
- Only accomodates 2 people
- You can't get radiator hoses for 'em anymore (from anywhere)
- They ride rough
- There's a lot of engine vibration/noise. GM and PAS had problems eliminating this.
- 3rd generation F-bodys had waaay too many squeaks and rattles. And that's excluding the noise from the t-tops.
- Certain TTA specific parts are almost impossible to find.

Did I mention they're still a blast to drive? :cool:

Thanks man, i needed that. I have always been a pontiac guy at heart. My previous cars were a 95 firebird and a 00 ram air, when i got my car i just started learning about them and never even heard about a TTA before and when i did i kinda though damn i should have got one of those, all i have ever heard about is how quick and fast they are, and good they handle, and how much fun they are. So thanks for showing me some of the downsides, Makes me feel like its not superior to the GN, even though i would love to still have one i could never give up the GN.

I had a stock 1989 TTA that I raced a stock 30 anniv. WS6 with at the track. I beat him pretty good with a 13.20 to his 13.80. I can dig up the pics they were pretty cool being two anniversry cars.
Chris

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Not from the research I've done. In the 1/4 mile the TTA will take the LS1 most of the time. The TTA will have the lower ET and the LS1 will trap higher. The LS1 will be faster but the TTA will be quicker.
I suppose we shall agree to disagree, as my "research" leads me to the opposite conclusion. And please, as a drag racer, I'm very cognizant of the difference between "quick" and "fast".

I suppose we shall agree to disagree, as my "research" leads me to the opposite conclusion. And please, as a drag racer, I'm very cognizant of the difference between "quick" and "fast".
Well it appears the personal testimonials from eyewitnesses here seem to substantiate my assertion the average LS1 isn't as quick. Would there be the "exception"?...sure. I think we're all talking about the law of averages however.

"Average" is another thing altogether. It might be possible (though I'm not ready to claim it) that the "average" bone stock TTA pass is quicker than the "average" bone stock WS6 pass. Hard to compare those averages though, as there were only ~1500 TTAs, and there are tens of thousands of LS1s.

My contention is that a driven to its potential (read - needs a driver that knows what he/she is doing), a bone stock M6 LS1 will be quicker than a bone stock TTA. Understand that the TTA driver also needs to be knowledgeable on how to get optimum ET out of their car (brake boosting, etc).

That is my opinion, based upon my observations and experiences (I've driven both cars at the track, though neither was bone stock).

Eh, don't kick yourself too hard. Granted they're a blast to drive but when you compare it to your TR it's;

- Extremely low to the ground
- Has no trunk room
- Isn't as menacing looking
- It's white
- Only accomodates 2 people
- You can't get radiator hoses for 'em anymore (from anywhere)
- They ride rough
- There's a lot of engine vibration/noise. GM and PAS had problems eliminating this.
- 3rd generation F-bodys had waaay too many squeaks and rattles. And that's excluding the noise from the t-tops.
- Certain TTA specific parts are almost impossible to find.

Did I mention they're still a blast to drive? :cool:

You forgot a few:

1. Vastly superior handling
2. High speed manueverability.
3. Blazing top speed
4. Awesome brakes
5. Few people know of them.
6. Sleek body
7. What GM product doesn't have rattles :D

Originally posted by tracy
You forgot a few:

1. Vastly superior handling
2. High speed manueverability.
3. Blazing top speed
4. Awesome brakes
5. Few people know of them.
6. Sleek body
7. What GM product doesn't have rattles :D
I didn't forget those. I was only outlining the disadvantages to try and soothe our friend's mind. I didn't want to point to the advantages. I miss my TTA for those very reasons you outlined. My bone stock TTA acheived high 12's with only a downpipe, chip, tires and more boost.

I didn't forget those. I was only outlining the disadvantages to try and soothe our friend's mind. I didn't want to point to the advantages. I miss my TTA for those very reasons you outlined. My bone stock TTA acheived high 12's with only a downpipe, chip, tires and more boost.

You really need a TR and a TTA - at least that is what I keep telling myself. :cool:

Originally posted by tracy
You really need a TR and a TTA - at least that is what I keep telling myself. :cool:
I did. At certain points in time I had:
GN and Typhoon
Typhoon and TTA
GN and TTA

Typhoon was bone stock with 26,000 miles
TTA was bone stock with 7,000 miles
1st GN was bone stock with 17,000 miles
2nd GN has 1,300

I miss the Typhoon too in a weird sorda way.

What brakes does the TTA have on it? Like 1LE or Vette for that period?

I love all the turbos, but I don't think I've ever even seen a TTA.

Jim

Originally posted by DeltaT
What brakes does the TTA have on it? Like 1LE or Vette for that period?

I love all the turbos, but I don't think I've ever even seen a TTA.

Jim
Correct, 1LE brakes quick change design for racing. You can read lots of info here.

Bone stock down to the paper filter, my 02 WS6 ran 13.2@107 mph. Not too bad considering I'm no expert with a 6sp. Frankly, I don't know if it would take a stock TTA in a 1/4 race but if I were a betting man I'd have to put my money on the LS1 if both drivers are equal.

The #'s your car put down aren't comparable.

You'd need to get an LS1 comparable in options to a TTA. That being COMPLETELY LOADED plus an auto trans. Fair is fair.

Oh, you would omit the remote keyless entry and CD player. Just wasn't available in 1989 on a TTA.

Based on what you just said, I might backtrack a bit on my previous statements. A fully-optioned, Automatic T/A WS6 is going to be quite a bit heavier than a low-option M6 Formula WS6, and even that is going to be heavier than say a no-option Z28. Certainly the heavier car will not be as quick as the lighter car, thus making the comparison to the TTA closer (in my eyes).

I certainly do still believe that a properly driven M6 LS1 F-body will be quicker than the TTA. Just needed a bit of clarification I guess. :)

After reading over the post I had to throw in my .02:D

I'll take quicker over faster any day. I have beaten many cars faster than me but not quicker!

Originally posted by ViciousV6
Ask anyone who has ran the 10bolt on sticky tires if their rearend is setup for drag racing. I would bet the F-bodies outnumber the Vettes in rearend failures more than 10 to 1.

:confused: :confused: :confused: The GN's have 10 bolts, you had a 11second GN you should know this. Did you ever break the rearend?

I know anything can happen anytime but I still have the stock rearend in my GN with plenty of mid 7 second runs in the 1/8 mile on slicks with no problems.

If you are still running a stock rearend in your Cobra, that 10 to 1 ratio vs the GN will come true.