Bone stock TTA vs WS6. Ever wonder what is faster?

cool 84

Got hotair?
I remember the old debates on what was the fastest F-body and remembered an old race. This was in 2002. Cars were a low mileage factory stock TTA on factory tires, factory boost/chip/paper filter, and a 2002, I believe M6 WS6 TA. We were at the streetraces and I watched with much interest since both cars were bone stock. The TTA ended up taking the WS6 3 out of 3 races by a solid carlength each time. The TTA pulled the WS6 just past the 1/8 and then it was a dead heat with the WS6 not making up any ground but the TTA wasn't pulling away. Those were the only stock cars there and for some reason they were the most exciting to watch. I wasn't the only one who was very interested in the outcome.

I thought I would share this since there's a lot of talk and speculation on the internet but I got to see first hand which car is faster. Now I need to see a GNX vs TTA as I've always wondered what would happen but I doubt I'll ever see that.

I bet that was awesome to watch! :D I'd have to leave it up to a driver's race. I've seen many LS1 car trap higher than any factory-stock TTA, but the TTA certainly seem to get out of the hole a lot better. The quality control of the LS1 seems to be very "hit'n'miss". Power output varies a lot on the LS1, from car to car.

It was only one example of each but at least it proves the WS6 is not clearly faster and is most definatly a driver's race. FWIW, the TTA driver was a girl and the WS6 was an old school drag racer so he knew how to drive. I've seen stock LS1s vary by nearly 5mph at the track, so who knows if this was one of those 104mph cars or 109mph cars. The TTA seemed to be one of the stronger running stock cars. Still, it was awesome to watch. Now that I think about it, I believe there's a video. I'll see if I can find it.

Originally posted by ViciousV6
I bet that was awesome to watch! :D I'd have to leave it up to a driver's race. I've seen many LS1 car trap higher than any factory-stock TTA, but the TTA certainly seem to get out of the hole a lot better. The quality control of the LS1 seems to be very "hit'n'miss". Power output varies a lot on the LS1, from car to car.
it depends on the year LS1. 98 to 00s are rated at 345 hp 01s and 02s have more hp and torqe due to the the Z06 intake and cam, rated at 350 but alot more. no quality control problems my 00 vette bone stock ran 1330 to 1350 @ 105. and 103 mph. a4auto .01 and 02s run 1320 1300 @ 108 109 mph. they all look alike thats why people think LS1s run fast and slow times also depends on the driver so 98 99 00 LS1s vettes run high to mid 13s 01 02s run mid to low 13s.

I don't keep up on mag times although I should. I have a friend that has an 00 Z28 the regularly beat up on later LS1s and trapped just under 109mph stock. I tend to use mag times as just an estimate. How else could I explain the times my stock and a lot of other people's stock GNs ran compared to mag times. My first clue that mag and internet times weren't exactly accurate was when I ran a friend's 2002 Z28 on a stock except for chip 87 GN and won by a couple feet.

Originally posted by greg wilson
it depends on the year LS1. 98 to 00s are rated at 345 hp 01s and 02s have more hp and torqe due to the the Z06 intake and cam, rated at 350 but alot more. no quality control problems my 00 vette bone stock ran 1330 to 1350 @ 105. and 103 mph. a4auto .01 and 02s run 1320 1300 @ 108 109 mph. they all look alike thats why people think LS1s run fast and slow times also depends on the driver so 98 99 00 LS1s vettes run high to mid 13s 01 02s run mid to low 13s.

Those power numbers must be for Vettes. The only F-bodies rated close to that were the fully optioned SLP cars. I know my '00 SS was 320 or 325. '01-02 F-bodies had the LS6 intake, but also had a milder cam. Some '98-99 have dynoed higher, without having the LS6 intake. The variations that are being mentioned aren't model year-based. I have seen two same-year cars have up to 5mph differences. The engines just seem to have had loose QC on the assembly line. It's pretty much a crapshoot.

tta vs. gnx

I have an old magazine article on the TTA vs. the GNX. Both cars were bone stock, unmodfied. The TTA had like 4k miles and the gnx had about 1800 miles on it. I'll have to find the article and scan it in, but the GNX won 2 out of 3 races, and the TTA won the last race after they figured out how to launch it better. Both cars were within a few tenths of each other, and the MPH were around the same.

The 98-00 Ls1's were rated at 305 not the 345 in the F-Body. The 01-02 were 310 becasue of the lS6 intake. Add 15hp for the SS and WS6. I just sold my 2001 Z28 2 1/2 weeks ago. Course because my GN was kicking its a$$ :D

Originally posted by ViciousV6
Those power numbers must be for Vettes. The only F-bodies rated close to that were the fully optioned SLP cars. I know my '00 SS was 320 or 325. '01-02 F-bodies had the LS6 intake, but also had a milder cam. Some '98-99 have dynoed higher, without having the LS6 intake. The variations that are being mentioned aren't model year-based. I have seen two same-year cars have up to 5mph differences. The engines just seem to have had loose QC on the assembly line. It's pretty much a crapshoot.

I agree 100%

My 98 auto WS6 trapped 106.5 stock. 320hp

My 02 WS6 6spd was MAYBE 100lbs heavier and trapped 103-103.5 stock. 325 hp.

The auto car was making proably 30+ more hp when you figure in that it was an auto.:confused:

Originally posted by NEARING
I agree 100%

My 98 auto WS6 trapped 106.5 stock. 320hp

My 02 WS6 6spd was MAYBE 100lbs heavier and trapped 103-103.5 stock. 325 hp.

The auto car was making proably 30+ more hp when you figure in that it was an auto.:confused:
dude i know what im talking about that 320hp is uderrated by chevy they are making the same hp as vettes thats why they trap and et the same as vettes, and they are 400 lbs more vettes i dont know about standard z28s , on the LS1 site there is a big debate on who is faster. fbodys dyno the same stock as vettes around 300rwhp,and thy put more power to the rws then vettes, because it has more of a drag racing rearend.but vettes make up because it is lighter, so they both even out the same perfomance wise.

dude i know what im talking about that 320hp is uderrated by chevy they are making the same hp as vettes thats why they trap and et the same as vettes, and they are 400 lbs more vettes i dont know about standard z28s , on the LS1 site there is a big debate on who is faster. fbodys dyno the same stock as vettes around 300rwhp,and thy put more power to the rws then vettes, because it has more of a drag racing rearend.but vettes make up because it is lighter, so they both even out the same perfomance wise.

Ask anyone who has ran the 10bolt on sticky tires if their rearend is setup for drag racing. I would bet the F-bodies outnumber the Vettes in rearend failures more than 10 to 1.

Re: stock vette

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
How does a stock '94 vette stack up against one of these bad cars?
nothing to worry about: i have a co-worker with a 94 drop top vette, i raced him in my 01 SS on the street & beat him , then he gets a borla exhaust , 3.73 gears & a K&N ,a few months later, we went to the track with his video camera in his car & all you could see was me pulling away beating him worse :D . all i have in my SS is a k&N & a flowmaster.

I took my 01 WS6 M6 to the opening night at Cecil county. Totaly stock it ran 13.41 @ 109.46 on a 2.3+ 60'. Not a bad run considering the 60' but the track was sloppy and thats the only run I got all night.:(

Originally posted by LeadSled1
I took my 01 WS6 M6 to the opening night at Cecil county. Totaly stock it ran 13.41 @ 109.46 on a 2.3+ 60'. Not a bad run considering the 60' but the track was sloppy and thats the only run I got all night.:(

Nice mph. You got one of the "good ones".

Dude I didn't say you didn't! Read my post.

I said all ls1's are NOT created equal.

IF 2 cars are making about the same power and have about the same weight and the only diff being one is an auto and the other being a stick the stick car SHOULD trap at LEAST 2-3 mph higher and not the other way around.

Everything else being equal, and the if the TTA is truly 100% factory stock (no "free mods" that can help the boost), then the LS1 is quicker.

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
Everything else being equal, and the if the TTA is truly 100% factory stock (no "free mods" that can help the boost), then the LS1 is quicker.

Obviously not as witnessed by my own eyes. I am 100% sure the TTA is as it came from the factory including tires. I was the one who later on did little upgrades including removing the factory paper filter and installing a K&N and installing a chip. I can also confirm boost was still at the factory level.

While I understand this is just one example of each car, both were stock, the WS6 had a good driver and better rubber from the factory. Maybe it's not the norm but if anything it goes to show that the LS1 is definately not always faster.

I'm really giving credit to the LS1s because I could say the TTA is straight out the faster car since the only race between stockers I've ever personally witnessed, the TTA came out on top all three times.

Originally posted by NEARING
Nice mph. You got one of the "good ones".

I had the same situation as you but the opposite. I had a 99 Z28 auto, best mph 101. :(

I learned after that one and made sure I test drove each one I looked at for comparison. This one felt the fastest and turned out pretty good.