Blowing oil out of breathers

Not in chronologically but yes. Lonnie built it in '09 and my local mechanic dropped it in then. The car sat in the garage until last summer. It was out for a few miles last summer, and out 3 times this summer. Not a lot of miles on the engine.

I drove it around easy the first few times. And no, I never remember any oil on my valve cover. Though, it may be brake fluid now that I think about it. I tightened up the pcv valve and will go driving around here soon nice and easy, and see what happens.

Do the RJC and breathers on both sides. I had a NEW AC Delco PCV valve so bad, that my vacuum made it tick like valve train noise! Only way I found it was I knew that was one of the last 3 or 4 things I did to the car and I pinched the line and noise went away.

Have another question. If both of my valve covers are vented, do I even really need a pcv system in place then? I shouldn't need vacuum right? Wouldn't pressure have a really hard time building up if I have a breather on both valve covers?

Still good to have it pulling vapor out, will help keep oil contamination down some.

When motor was installed hope someone hit it with boost to seat the rings.

Walter

A friend of mine went crazy at Auto Zone when he bought his car. Installed a auto zone brand PCV. He called me after thinking he did good, oil everywhere. Pull the PCV and make a pull, then go from there, most likely that is the problem.

My $0.02
I would pull the pcv and change the oil more often. Like me, it does not sound like you are getting a lot of miles on the motor, so just change the oil. My car still has the pcv, and looking for a clean way to block it off.

If the valve cover filters are soaked, its probably not brake fluid.
If you have not gotten into much boost, its probably not a pcv issue. I would retorque the intake to the heads.

Just what i would try.

Last edited:
Yea, I have the rjc pcv on the way, and am going to retorque all my bolts just to be sure. My assembler wasn't too thorough.

Tony,
I've been following this thread. You are obviously pushing too much air into the crankcase. Under non-boosted operation, the breathers should only let filtered air into the crankcase as the PCV valve takes air out. When the engine transitions into boost, the PCV valve closes and air should not leave the crankcase.

Under boost is most likely your problem. The PCV system doesn't work under boost, and the PCV valve "Should" block boost pressure from entering the crankcase (the truth is most leak pressure into the crankcase.....how much depends on the valve and boost level)

Don't go jumping to conclusions about the source.........Test and find the source!

The first thing I would do is check the intake tract for boost leaks. I made a tool that clamps to the turbo inlet bell and allows you to pressurize the entire intake tract. You need to remove the rocker shafts. You will be surprised how many leaks you find at 20-25psi boost.

While you have the rocker arms off, do a very complete cylinder leakage test. This will tell you the health of the rings, valves, and head gaskets.

If you have a compressor, you can borrow my tools. If you don't have a compressor, you need to tell your wife that you NEED a compressor to blow out the sprinkler system in the fall. ;)

Last edited:
Yea. I was under the thought process that it's head gasket leaks or rings. I just installed the rjc valve and that kind of leads me in that direction. I've taken the pcv leak out of the equation now. :) I'm going to do a leak down and compression test. I'm guessing it's head gaskets. :)

Last edited:
It could be a leaky intake gasket as well.

Better to know what is wrong before you open the patient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Will do. I can tell you this. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a loose head bolt-all my oil and trans pan bolts were finger tight...

Either you have a pcv issue or your rings are worn and need to be replaced. If the pcv works, then check your rings. I have yet to see anything else cause immense blowby, unless the hg was put on wrong, but you would see other issues.

Just to be on the safe side, install a check valve (something like the us plastics 3/8ths check valve) in line with the pcv.

If you want to eliminate the PCV as a potential culprit, pinch the hose shut and kick the crap out of the car. When the breathers still vent like crazy, it's not the PCV.